TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Now I wonder why YOLOcoaster is closed... The park's newest coaster and the park's most popular coaster... Both closed!? I know I wasn't very happy seeing that yesterday as a local. I can't even imagine how disappointed a full-paying guest would be to see this. I also saw the impact on the other lines because of this. The parking lot was maybe 1/3 full and Tatsu had a full queue extending down the hill with both stations in use.

Do you think it random chance that the SoCal parks that keep their rides up & running best of any have over 1,000,000 Annual Passholders while SFMM struggles to pull in more than 10,000 total on a non-summer day, yet those parks are much more expensive than SFMM?

People know where to expect quality and where not to. Those who don't yet quickly learn.

The reason why they do two checks is because when the lap bar is down, it is not possible to check the seatbelts due to where they are located in the seat. This is largely because the trains weren't originally designed to have seatbelts in the first place! The entire belt is hidden under the lap bar once the bar is down.

Now I wonder why YOLOcoaster is closed... The park's newest coaster and the park's most popular coaster... Both closed!? I know I wasn't very happy seeing that yesterday as a local. I can't even imagine how disappointed a full-paying guest would be to see this. I also saw the impact on the other lines because of this. The parking lot was maybe 1/3 full and Tatsu had a full queue extending down the hill with both stations in use.

Do you think it random chance that the SoCal parks that keep their rides up & running best of any have over 1,000,000 Annual Passholders while SFMM struggles to pull in more than 10,000 total on a non-summer day, yet those parks are much more expensive than SFMM?

People know where to expect quality and where not to. Those who don't yet quickly learn.

SFMM has some problems, but what park doesn't? I have heard that people from SFMM go to a hardware store to buy the flowers for the park instead of having a nursery like many other parks.

YOLOCoaster wasn't down voluntarily, a train is stuck in the tunnel, no idea if it's the launch system or something else that caused the problem. I heard it broke down Friday or Saturday and remained down through Sunday. No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal. It would have been nice if they got X2 back up and running, but no idea what's causing it's continued downtime now that the chain is on site.

No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal.

Tell that to a 42" child who can ride no other full sized coasters in the park! Oh, wait, 42" children don't go to SFMM, anyway.

Edited by robbalvey

You're right, my statement was admittedly myopic, there are limited rides for younger folks, I was only thinking about the popularity of the ride compared to others. Its not unusual for a ride to be down for a day or two every once in a while, but with X2 and YOLO being down it just added to the problem.

At least at SFMM (if you're tall enough to ride everything) there are a lot more options..earlier this year I was at SFDK when Kong, Roar, V2, and Boomerang were all down the whole day leaving only 2 full size coasters operating out of 6.

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking and seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures, I am not renewing my SFMM pass. I'll stick with my USH and Knott's. At least those arks have warm and inviting atmospheres.

Every time I go to the park, I think of how lush and beautiful the park used to be. It felt like a very green and lush park full of coasters at one point, but now it's basically a junkyard carnival with a handful of descent coasters. Even then, their other rides like X2, Scream, and Viper have gotten so rough and unnoticed by park management, that they are unridable. It's sad that the park has a high potential of being beautiful coaster park with the hilly and foresty environment surrounding it.

Way back when there was that crazy rumor of Six Flags selling the park around 2006, I honestly wish they did, but to another company. Just imagine what Anheiser Busch (SP?) would have done with that park. It would've been beautiful! It would've been awesome! Imagine how Busch Gardens: California would have been.

I only go to SFMM when I have some time on my hands after my class gets out at CoC nearby to get a few coasters in. Going there now feels like a chore to walk around a massive dump to get from one coaster to another. It's depressing to go there. I've tolerated this for some time, but I just can't. I can't bring myself to renew my pass until management realizes how dire the park is in need of some restoration. I want this park to thrive, but under the incompetent leadership it's under now, it isn't.

Tell that to a 42" child who can ride no other full sized coasters in the park! Oh, wait, 42" children don't go to SFMM, anyway.

They sure do! "SFMM is a Disney-like experience at a cheaper cost." - Stupid quote from Mark Shapiro

As soon as he said that I lost all respect for him.

No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal.

Unless they're with a family that has an older brother or sister over 48" or 54".

I use my season pass to go to the good Six Flags parks like Fiesta Texas and Great Adventure. I go to SFMM once a year to get my pass, and collect the new credit. I know it costs money to fly to some of the better parks in the chain, but it's totally worth it!

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking

I don't know where you got the first part of that since in that area the park has only improved lately, maybe a steady improvement over the past year or two in fact. I totally think they could get way better, but let's not say they're getting worse when they're not.

seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures

We already know X2 has been down while they replace the lift chain. So since on one off day Full Throttle and Ninja are down they're so inconsistent? Even with X2 down indefinitely, on any given day it is very likely almost every other coaster is open.

Oh, and people talking about how disappointed people might be about Full Throttle not being open, do you forget that Disneyland closes down stuff all the time? I would imagine the tourists who paid to fly in from other countries would be pretty disappointed that Indy was down for rehab, Space Mountain was down for rehab, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc.

Unless they're with a family that has an older brother or sister over 48" or 54".

Who would leave a 42" child alone in a theme park? That's bad parenting.

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking

I don't know where you got the first part of that since in that area the park has only improved lately, maybe a steady improvement over the past year or two in fact. I totally think they could get way better, but let's not say they're getting worse when they're not.

seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures

We already know X2 has been down while they replace the lift chain. So since on one off day YOLOcoaster and Ninja are down they're so inconsistent? Even with X2 down indefinitely, on any given day it is very likely almost every other coaster is open.

Oh, and people talking about how disappointed people might be about YOLOcoaster not being open, do you forget that Disneyland closes down stuff all the time? I would imagine the tourists who paid to fly in from other countries would be pretty disappointed that Indy was down for rehab, Space Mountain was down for rehab, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc.

Scream, Viper, X2, and Revolution have been very rough. Especially Scream and Viper. Those two have gotten to the point to where they are cometely unridable. The paint jobs on the coasters and in certain areas (Sammari Summit, Ninja station, and areas in the Psyclone Bay Area are all needing a LOT of attention. Not to mention that there are some areas that seem completely filthy. Trashes are overflowing with bees surrounding the areas where trash is. It's just in really bad shape. Dont get me started on how Jet Stream looks. They've made a few small improvements with the addition of FT, DC Universe area, but that's basically it (Haven't been to Fright Fest since 2011 so I can't judge in that font.)

Disney does close stuff for rehab all the time, but at least they give notice to their guests about that. They've completely removed two beloved rides (DeJaVu and LJ) without any notice. They've shut down Ninja and FT for the day without any notice for adding the seatbelts or whatever they're doing. That seems pretty shady to the guests if you're going to, knowing ahead of time, shut down coasters without letting your guests know.

All they're doing in X2 is replacing a lift hill chain. Could it really take this long to do just that? I would imagine that would take no longer than two months to order, instal, test, and get it approved by the state. With the amount if time they're taking, you would think they're giving the ride a descent refurb.

^It is nice of a park to let guests know of attraction closures (be it permanent or for refurbishment) but in no means are they required to tell you anything.

We all know SFMM isn't known for their guest relations anyways so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

In regards to X2: No one knows what the real issue is with the new chain installation. All we do know is that the chain broke, they ordered a new one which takes time as you can't just go to Home Depot and purchase a 4D coaster lift chain. There were confirmations of a crane over by the X2 lift and that new chain installation had started. Then the park confirmed it wont be open until after the 1st of the year. That's all we know.

Sounds to me like they ran into some issues with the new chain. Hopefully the park is taking this time to work on the On-Board audio and give the trains some TLC but this is SFMM we are talking about and they are obviously more reactive than proactive.

Also as an FYI, DOSH isn't required to sign off on something like a lift chain replacement.

Edited by DJeXeL

^ YOLO already has seat belts and Ninja isn't getting them since it already has OTSRs. Neither of these were for seat belts.

YOLO was not "closed" so much as it was "broken down" - a train got stuck in the tunnel. How can the park give notice before a ride breaks down unexpectedly?

We do know the chain has been installed on X2 because it has been seen on the lift, we don't know why the ride is still closed after the chain was installed. Could be a problem with the new chain, could be unrelated...but we do know they got the new chain and installed it. I don't remember the park confirming it would be closed through December but I heard hearsay from employees that they doubted it would be open by then.