TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It would be nice if this was in preparation for a reprofiling that added some quality airtime to the ride ... then the seat belts might be needed.

I don't mind the seat belts, but it is odd how such a tall coaster has so little airtime. At least it's smooth.

Was at the park today and see someone beat me to post about the seat belts on goliath. Even worse news it seems it is a California law come 2014 as 3 different ops & a ride supervisor all said that and next week they said to expect them on colossus and full throttle. So any non cedar fair park in ca (as they already have them) with just a lap bar expect to see seat belts

Even worse news it seems it is a California law come 2014 as 3 different ops & a ride supervisor all said that and next week they said to expect them on colossus and YOLOcoaster. So any non cedar fair park in ca (as they already have them) with just a lap bar expect to see seat belts

God bless California.

Was at the park today and see someone beat me to post about the seat belts on goliath. Even worse news it seems it is a California law come 2014 as 3 different ops & a ride supervisor all said that and next week they said to expect them on colossus and YOLOcoaster. So any non cedar fair park in ca (as they already have them) with just a lap bar expect to see seat belts

Goliath - Never has had an ejection incident, only one fatality was medical-related.

YOLOCoaster - Never has had a fatality, seems to have tight lap bars.

Colossus - Has had an ejection incident, but I believe the MCBR was added in response, and I think the trains were different then.

YOLO is out of the picture because it is new, but Goliath has never ejected anybody and Colossus was a whole different ride when it ejected somebody. I am getting tired of Six Flags' new seatbelt-happiness and stapling, but now this is in law in California, for a ride that was designed to be perfectly safe without seatbelts to be forced to have them?

By the way, how many rides have been a victim of the California government?

Revolution - Cannot have OTSRs removed without totally new trains.

Windseeker - Missing ladder, if I'm right.

All coasters in CA with lapbars and no seatbelts - Now will have seatbelts.

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see if Disneyland's coasters (Space, Big Thunder) get seatbelts or not...something tells me this may be Six Flags policy because of the Texas Giant accident and they're trying to say it's a state mandate. Much like how Revolution "had" to have OTSRs because it was "California law" for looping coasters.

Here's something I just noticed today...

I love that at 1:57 of the official YOLOcoaster B-Roll video you can hear someone shout YOLO!!!! Check it out: http://t.co/kX5VyiNaZr

I worked at Six Flags Over Texas and when management would have a meeting everyday about the status about the company they called it the YOLO Coaster when they talked about the coaster when it opened. I found it funny even other parks management call it YOLO Coaster. My boss was confused what they were talking about and asked me what YOLO Coaster was!

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see if Disneyland's coasters (Space, Big Thunder) get seatbelts or not...something tells me this may be Six Flags policy because of the Texas Giant accident and they're trying to say it's a state mandate. Much like how Revolution "had" to have OTSRs because it was "California law" for looping coasters.

I thought that too, but 3 ops saying it's a CA law and knowing how reliable ride ops are I asked a different ride sup if it was a new Six Flags policy and she said unfortunately it's a CA policy so I would expect them on Disney rides as well as Manta at Sea World, the rides at Discovery Kingdom and the small parks. Well see though but it wouldnt surprise me considering how crazy CA is.

Agreed...Seatbelts never really bothered me on rides other than crippling dispatch times. It's not like they degrade my actual ride experience. 3/4 of the time I forget it's even there! Even my #1 wood has them and it still delivers an amazing ride! The only instance I felt was ridiculous was CGA's Grizzly, which not only has rider seat belts, but lap bar has a buckle that fastens to the seat divider. As forceless as this ride is, it apparently needed the extra safety measure. And Grizzly has had dispatch times of up to 5 minutes. Combine additional useless seatbelts and a lethargic crew (to run a lethargic ride), and there you go!

I'm wondering (since it was just a few ride ops that said this) if this is just chain wide and a response to the whole NTAG incident. I was actually very surprised to see the amount of rides at SFMM that did not have additional seatbelts when I went and often reached for them until I realized the rides weren't equipped with them (Viper, reached toward my crotch to fasten OTSR redundancy belt, reached to side on Colossus)...only ride down there I feel is ridiculous is Revolution. It is the only coaster I've seen and ridden that's outfitted with a standard lapbar and OTSR...

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I've never really understood why so many people get so upset if a Roller Coaster has a seat belt along with the lap restraint. I have ridden numerous Roller Coasters that have seat belts and my ride has never been affected by the seat belt in any way. What is the big deal? So you will have to take five more seconds to fasten a belt and another five seconds for operators to do checks. It is ok. Nothing about the ride experiences will change. I'm sorry its just a bit of a pet peeve for people to get so up in arms about such an insignificant detail.

I've never really understood why so many people get so upset if a Roller Coaster has a seat belt along with the lap restraint. I have ridden numerous Roller Coasters that have seat belts and my ride has never been affected by the seat belt in any way. What is the big deal? So you will have to take five more seconds to fasten a belt and another five seconds for operators to do checks. It is ok. Nothing about the ride experiences will change. I'm sorry its just a bit of a pet peeve for people to get so up in arms about such an insignificant detail.

I fully disagree with the second half. Goliath was the same and I agree the ride (or any ride) isn't affected at all by them, BUT dispatch times are night and day with and without them. It is amazing how many people didn't put the seat belts on (not just this ride but any ride in general). What they do they walk the whole train to make sure people put them on (also remember any empty seat the ride op has to fasten it which takes about 5 seconds per) and once they clear that than they pull down the lap bar down for you and re walk . This easily adds at least a minute to the dispatch time and that's being generous. A minute doesn't sound like a lot but multiply that by how many dispatches they do a day. Have you ever been on a Deja Vu with their lovely 5 minute dispatches which was primarily due to their seat belts and people not putting them on first.

Edited by adamd

I thought that too, but 3 ops saying it's a CA law and knowing how reliable ride ops are I asked a different ride sup if it was a new Six Flags policy and she said unfortunately it's a CA policy so I would expect them on Disney rides as well as Manta at Sea World, the rides at Discovery Kingdom and the small parks. Well see though but it wouldnt surprise me considering how crazy CA is.

One particular coaster I would be surprised to receive seat belts would be SCBB Giant Dipper. It has dispatch times around 45 seconds and rarely over a minute currently. It has been running for almost NINETY years with a single position lap bar (all trains that ran on it use it, Century Flyers, Arrows, and the current Morgans), and if it got seat belts, that would break my heart. It would not only increase dispatch times, but it would take away from the unique "air laterals" of the ride. I really hope that this is just a chain wide thing.

Other concern...saying that this is a Six Flags policy (or if it was actually state wide) would be the Six Flags-owned Premier Launchers (YOLO, SUF). SUF has amazing dispatches because of its minimalist approach. First off, lockers are enforced and it's just a matter of sit, pull down bar, check, dispatch. I can see it double its dispatch times (or perhaps match YOLO's current dispatch times which are considerably slower than SUF). If YOLO got them, the already slower dispatch times would be even slower yet. Since SFMM does not quite enforce lockers, and the Skyrocket style trains are actually quite difficult to pass through let alone putting goods in the bins.

Also agreed about our other gem up here, being Giant Dipper. It's been fine all these years, there's no reason to make changes now. I have a feeling it will not be altered but only time will really tell.

Other concern...saying that this is a Six Flags policy (or if it was actually state wide) would be the Six Flags-owned Premier Launchers (YOLO, SUF). SUF has amazing dispatches because of its minimalist approach. First off, fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are enforced and it's just a matter of sit, pull down bar, check, dispatch. I can see it double its dispatch times (or perhaps match YOLO's current dispatch times which are considerably slower than SUF). If YOLO got them, the already slower dispatch times would be even slower yet. Since SFMM does not quite enforce fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, and the Skyrocket style trains are actually quite difficult to pass through let alone putting goods in the bins.

Also agreed about our other gem up here, being Giant Dipper. It's been fine all these years, there's no reason to make changes now. I have a feeling it will not be altered but only time will really tell.

Perhaps (or should I say hopefully) it depends on the type of restraint..perhaps the newer Premier cars will get a pass because of how much more comprehensive their restraints are compared to traditional lap bars. Those new cars have such tight restraints a seat belt might actually be uncomfortable.

Ironically with the old restraints that Goliath used to have I actually did think seat belts would have been good (and I had a friend who was very nearly ejected from Goliath many years ago with the old ones - restraint failed and he had to hold on) but the new lap bars put in a few years ago are much better..stupid that now that it has better restraints the seat belt has to be added.

It's not California law. The end. Please do some research on California Assembly Bill 850. That's the ONLY law that governs amusement rides in California.

It's not California law. The end. Please do some research on California Assembly Bill 850. That's the ONLY law that governs amusement rides in California.

I hope your right, but being told the same thing by 3 different ops and a supervisor (all from different rides mind you) makes it somewhat convincing. I tried finding it online and I too couldn't find anything. Only other thing I could think is maybe the employees were told not to say it's a six flags policy and to say it's a CA policy? Well find out soon enough and see if CA parks add them or if different Six Flags parks out of CA add them that way we know for sure what is true.

Being as this came from SFMM ride ops, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Though they'd know more than the Dip n Dots guy, I would be only *slightly* convinced. I tried looking things up last night but found nothing. In the end, we may be worrying ourselves over what could only be just a couple of rides getting seat belts. The words from the ride ops can also very well be something completely misinterpreted (classic game of Telephone scenario).