TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was just watching a video of SFMM back in the early 90's, and man, it looks so nice compared to what it is today. Everything seems so clean from back then. I wish the park would take note.

Wow the park actually looks really nice then, maybe the management should take a look at that video.

If you look at the changes that have been made as far as management goes I am not in the least surprised at what is going on at sfmm the general sam was falling apart and with the 2014 plans it was time for it to go .being a former veteran employee i had my doubts about the way they ran the park but i had positive hopes as well in my recent visits Ive seen good things happening lets hope they become more clear as time goes by .

I for one think that that tree just made the park look cheap and ugly. As well, since it was now next to the new Full Throttle area, it just seemed out of place. I think they should make a sleek new entrance and next to it have a little Magic Mountain history museum. It would be great.

I know that this is of topic, but does anyone have a clue where bonzai pipelines will be located and what the slides will look like?

I for one think that that tree just made the park look cheap and ugly. As well, since it was now next to the new YOLOcoaster area, it just seemed out of place.

Are you Implying YOLOland doesn't look cheap and ugly?

YOLOplaza is not the greatest, but it does have an upbeat vibe to it. When it is shadowed by a giant and ugly fake tree, it looks pretty bad.

If the tree was maintained by the management all these years, it wouldn't look as bad.

YOLOplaza is not the greatest, but it does have an upbeat vibe to it.

The only vibe I get from YOLOplaza is a cheap and temporary vibe.

If the tree was maintained by the management all these years, it wouldn't look as bad.

YOLOplaza is not the greatest, but it does have an upbeat vibe to it.

The only vibe I get from YOLOplaza is a cheap and temporary vibe.

More like a temporarly cheap vibe !

But knowing SFMM, that is never going to happen. Also, any one know anything about bonzai pipelines?!?!?

As a child I loved magic mountain . I remember the magic Pagoda and would just go in it over and over. I have found it hard to find video or pictures from its hey day. I do remember the water falls you would walk under, the talking budda with the projection, black light room with the flying dragon, and they added these rooms with a clear wall. It would give you the illusion you vanished in to this air like Star Trek. Does any one have video or good pictures? I think they even had a mirror maze.

Here is a article I found about it from 2011

Magic Pagoda Refurb At Six Flags Magic Mountain?

Posted on 02/17/2011 by The Coaster Guy

One of the most bizarre and often talked about past attractions of any theme park has got to be the Magic Pagoda at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Located at the top of Samurai Summit, next to the Sky Tower, this was a Chinese-themed walk-though attraction that was open from 1975 to 1984. The best description that people have come up with was that it was a Chinese fun house. Although virtually no pictures of the original interior exist today, or at least are not publicly available, most people who have been through the attraction recall virtually the same experience.

Everyone remembers a long hall with a talking Buddha at the end that welcomed you to the Magic Pagoda. As you moved from room to room, you would experience different things. There was a hall of mirrors, a strobe light room with a dragon circling overhead, miniature Chinese cities, neon signs, and glass chambers that you could enter that would make you ‘disappear’ right in front of the other other guest’s eyes. Marketing material for the Magic Pagoda advertised it as “a space age technological marvel.” However, most people just remember it as being very weird but good for a laugh and a quick cool down in the hot summer months.

There are mixed reports as to why it closed. In addition to the obvious reason for why an attraction eventually closes, that being dwindling attendance and an increased expense for maintenance/upkeep, there were also rumors of a fire. Some people claim that after a fire broke out inside, it was discovered that there were no clear or obvious evacuation routes, so it was a safety hazard.

Some time after it closed, a snack shop opened in the upper part of the building with nice outdoor seating that still exists today. Unfortunately, that eventually closed as well leaving the building vacant and no place to buy drinks or snacks on the top of the hill, other than from a vending machine.

During the last couple of years, the old building has been given some new life as a haunted maze during the annual Halloween Fright Fest. Every October, it becomes Willoughby’s Haunted Mansion with “hair raising terror around each nightmarish turn and dreadful screams down the long twisting hallways.”

As I was heading to the Sky Tower the other day, I happened to notice that there was some work being done to the building. It looks like the entire facade across the front of the building is being removed:

I know this is probably completely unnecessary but, if I'm honest, out of all the rides I've been on that have seat belts I've never had any reason to complain as the bigger difference is only felt when the restraints themselves are looser (unlike these ones or the ones on RMC's hybrids). I suppose it would be a tiny bit more comfortable if there weren't any but I don't mind them that much. Still, it's just unnecessary.