TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Batman with fog is an insane experience...that's one of my absolute favorite rides in the world when the fog is on.

I agree, easily my favorite ride I took at WCB 2011 (it was 2011 when they did that, right?). I think they did it for Fright Fest 2011, but then they stopped. I wonder why? It was very cool. Especially since they don't do much to their rides during Fright Fest, it's focused almost entirely on the scare zones and mazes.

I don't mind the audio in X2 not working, you can't hear it after the lift hill anyway. The fire is cool but mostly I'd just like a consistently smooth ride. Or at least consistently "don't beat me up" ride.

Agreed with everybody else about the effects on Batman. Especially at night, they were so fun. I still remember the Batman commercial with all of the fog in it and the mist going from the brake run into the station. So cool.

I don't mind the audio in X2 not working, you can't hear it after the lift hill anyway. The fire is cool but mostly I'd just like a consistently smooth ride. Or at least consistently "don't beat me up" ride.

It seems to me a good way to get the audio experience for guests without the uphill battle of on-ride audio would just be to install speakers on the lift itself (i.e. Green Lantern playing the oath) and use the sound clips there. That goes for the Bizarros as well - especially Great Adventure's, which totally ditched the audio system altogether this year.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Batman effects. The fog hadn't worked in awhile at ours at SFGAm, which they fixed when it ran. When I went to FF over the weekend, now that it's forwards the fog was once again not working both times I rode it. They had replaced the lights on the cop car with LEDs as well, which were still working. At least our sewer fan and audio always worked!

Kind of a bummer when the parks don't care enough to keep the special effects working. They should factor in the cost to maintain them when building the ride. Granted, sometimes they don't work out as planned but a lot of times they just don't have anyone to perform maintenance.

Kind of a bummer when the parks don't care enough to keep the special effects working. They should factor in the cost to maintain them when building the ride. Granted, sometimes they don't work out as planned but a lot of times they just don't have anyone to perform maintenance.

Kinda makes me wonder why they go through the trouble in the first place of even installing them??

Agreed with everybody else about the effects on Batman. Especially at night, they were so fun. I still remember the Batman commercial with all of the fog in it and the mist going from the brake run into the station. So cool.

I agree 100%. Sitting on the outside is just too brutal now, no audio and no fire but a somewhat smooth and enjoyable ride would be way better.

Kinda makes me wonder why they go through the trouble in the first place of even installing them??

I think what it comes down to is simple: is it worth it for the park to maintain the effects? Do people ride X2 for the audio and fire, or because of the ride itself? To accountants, that is easy money to justify being cut.

I believe the effects still work, they just have them on at certain times. Every time I've ridden X2, all the effects have been working. I only am usually able to visit the park during 3 periods out of the year, 2nd or 3rd week of August (summer for Norcal but not Socal <3), beginning of October, & December during Winter Break. Possibly they just have the effects running when the park is expected to be a little busy? Would make sense, as I hit those August & October dates for the popularity of summer and Halloween itself but the parks aren't crowded at all during those times.

I could just be lucky too. I know they've worked for sure every visit though because my brother and I love sitting at the front of X2 due the thrill we get of slowly going down that drop headfirst into the colorful fog. Tatsu or X2 always end up being our last rides, so us riding it only closer to park closing could mean something too. There's many times we've hopped in right before closing and everything still worked. Would be awesome if they had everything working all the time though, but it's SFMM. Audio problems I've always had though, I miss listening to "It Had to be You" when starting the ride.

Can you describe the roughness on x2

Is it like old wooden coaster rough or is it like minor jolts and bounces here and there

It's not like a wooden coaster at all. A wooden coaster typically is rough from side to side, while X2's roughness is typically headbanging. It's not very bad and can be quite tolerable once you go on it a few times.

Is it like old wooden coaster rough or is it like minor jolts and bounces here and there

It's not like a wooden coaster at all. A wooden coaster typically is rough from side to side, while X2's roughness is typically headbanging. It's not very bad and can be quite tolerable once you go on it a few times.

I don't get headbanging, usually leg smashing, which can be pretty bad unless you're on the inside seat.

I don't get headbanging, usually leg smashing, which can be pretty bad unless you're on the inside seat.

Wha do you mean by leg smashing. I think I know but just want to make sure.

What it looks like is that it bounces up and down

Wha do you mean by leg smashing. I think I know but just want to make sure.

There is some leg banging in the last rows, but if you try to pull your legs toward the seat, it relieves most of it.

What it looks like is that it bounces up and down

X2 is very temperamental, sometimes it has rides with zero headbanging and some rides have a good amount of headbanging, so I guess you could say that it bounces up and down.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, it's nothing really bad.