TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It definitely felt tamer. I actually find a puny 70' ARM/Larson drop tower more intense...never underestimate those little guys

I'd love to see a park do one of those towers, but on the scale of a giant drop or LL:DOD. The airtime would be orgasmic from those heights!

I disagree with Cursed as well as, as mentioned, Blackout. During my last year's visit to Fright Fest, These were the two that stood out the most to me as well as nearly all of the people I went with. Even though Curse and Blackout are simple, those jump scares are 10 times more effective as the actors blend in with the surroundings in an eerily uncanny way.

I actually liked Blackout too, I thought it was a cool concept. I just wished it had more talent but I guess the constant fear of wondering if someone is going to jump out is just as powerful as 20 monsters jumping out.

My only complaint is I wished they would let you go in with your own group. Our group went in with three teenage girls and once a monster would scream, they would literally run us over to get away from them. It's not bad when you're in a regular maze and you can see them and get out of the way but when you're in the pitch dark and all holding the same rope, you're stuck with them.

I'm also curious to know whether the new Toyz maze is going to be in that same building as Jokers because the article says they're spending some $$$ to make it more permanent and I would think that building would be the first to go when a MM or a HH expansion comes to that area. Or perhaps they're going to move it to the back of the old Palace/FT building. That is the only thing I think they could use that space for.

^ I don't think there is enough room in the palace games building for a full size maze. Yes there is space left but I believe it's a storeroom.

I think they are going to be redoing that building there for Season Pass processing so the new permanent maze location may be a part of that? That building is kind of on the "edge" of all of the available space in that area and I don't think it would be too needed for any kind of expansion.

The picture below illustrates what I mean. The red is the existing building and maze, the yellow is all of the space that is empty with the removal of Flashback and the Metro. I think this spot would be perfect for a nice HH expansion although this could also be where the new kiddie coaster is going. I hope not, but it's possible.

MMexpansion.jpg.4ed93babfa918abd9f976df0f3908b38.jpg

From the last page, I am glad I am not the only one who felt the same way about LL:DOD. I also rode a 70' Larson carnival tower, and CGA's drop tower within a month, and I found the drops on both of these to be superior to Lex Luthor. It is probably because these have much looser restraints; the ops tend to staple you in on LL. Still, LL is a good ride, but, overall, I actually found it to be my least favorite of the post 1st generation Intamin towers. This one has probably the worst view of any of the Intamin towers I have been on (it is of an open desert), and the drop was not as, since you are stapled in. I still think CGA's tower reigns as the best tower in California, as on one side you get a view of the San Jose skyline, while the other side allows you to see across the entire park, as well as the 49ers stadium.

This may be the only instance I can think of so far in which lap bars actually make the ride worse.

^I couldn't disagree more. I went on DropZone (or whatever it's called now) at CGA and LL on back to back days last year, and the sheer height of LL, combined with the swaying effect you get at the top of it make DropZone seem very tame in comparison to me. The freefall itself is much longer, and the speed is faster. I don't find the view on LL to be bad at all, as you see the entire park when you're at the top. Obviously beyond the park there isn't much to see, but I still enjoy it.

To each their own though.....

^ maybe we're in the minority, but I agree with you. LL may be my overall favorite ride in the park. I LOVE the restraints, the long raise up to the top, the incredible view and the speed the ride builds on the way down. I pretty much planted myself on this ride during ERT.

^ I love all those things about LL:DOD, too! It's just that the drop itself doesn't feel like as much of a freefall as Intamin 1st or 2nd gen towers, or ARM towers as others mentioned. Heck, even a Moser Spring ride gets my stomach more than LL:DOD!

Don't get me wrong, the whole package still makes for an excellent ride. I just think it's funny that the world's tallest drop tower has one of the worst freefall sensations.

It's funny how having only been on two intamin drop rides (one of then was 1st gen - Demon Drop at Dorney, and the other one was 2nd - Hurakan condor at Portaventura) it was the first gen one that got me anticipating the drop the most. I'm not saying it is a better ride, I just find it interesting how I somehow was a bit more nervous on Demon Drop (even though Hurakan was my first freefall ride). Just saying that because they're bigger doesn't necessarily mean they'll be more thrilling although it is usually the case.

I actually really like the view in Drop of doom. The setting may be a little dull as it's in the desert, but once you rise over the hills and mountains it makes for a seemingly higher altitude and with the view of a continuous rolling landscape which I personally think is beautiful.

Totally off topic of the current subject, but still somewhat awesome.

Have any of you guys heard of the Full Throttle VIP tour contest for high school students? I entered it a while back in August and last night, I actually got an email saying that I won! I'm pretty stoked. One hour of ERT on Full Throttle and a back stage tour, also get to get into the park before opening, which is pretty cool. I'm excited as this is my first theme park event that I will ever go to. I just hope its "better then nothing."

Have any of you guys heard of the YOLOcoaster VIP tour contest for high school students? I entered it a while back in August and last night, I actually got an email saying that I won! I'm pretty stoked. One hour of ERT on YOLOcoaster and a back stage tour, also get to get into the park before opening, which is pretty cool. I'm excited as this is my first theme park event that I will ever go to. I just hope its "better then nothing."

We actually did see some signage in Riddler's queue during WCB. I thought it sounded like a neat idea and should be a pretty neat event. Now I wonder how many winners were chosen, or how many ERT riders will be present.

Have any of you guys heard of the YOLOcoaster VIP tour contest for high school students? I entered it a while back in August and last night, I actually got an email saying that I won! I'm pretty stoked. One hour of ERT on YOLOcoaster and a back stage tour, also get to get into the park before opening, which is pretty cool. I'm excited as this is my first theme park event that I will ever go to. I just hope its "better then nothing."

Yeah I got the same email! I'm pretty excited!