TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Well, they released some of the Fright Fest details in their Six Flags e-mail yesterday...

More Fright Fest Scares Than Ever!

Spooktacular Halloween celebration October 4 - 6, 11 - 13, 18 - 20, 24 - 27

• New mazes and scare zones

• Come for the day, stay for the night

• Creepy decorations and terrifying characters

Fright Fest, presented by Snickers®, delivers more screams and more thrills this year. With extended hours and an added day, this Halloween adventure features more thrills, hair-raising haunts, bone-chilling scares, ghoulish characters, and spine-tingling rides.

Beginning Friday, October 4, and every Friday-Sunday until October 27 plus Thursday, October 24, Six Flags Magic Mountain turns into a massive Halloween celebration. Fright Fest will turn your nightmares into a reality as you face chilling haunts and trembling scares. Keep an eye out for cobwebs and spiders winding through the trees, tombstones popping up in grassy areas, park signage spattered with blood, and skeleton bones and skulls scattered throughout.

Only at Six Flags can guests visit during the day to experience all the park's extreme thrill rides and exciting attractions, then stay after the sun goes down, when the park turns into a nightmarish adventure as the monsters are released. We’ll be open later than usual this year—Fridays and Saturdays until 1 a.m.—because the frightening experience is intensified after dark when you can’t tell what’s hiding around the next corner. Watch your back as you wander through the park and into our six macabre scare zones, where ghoulish creatures are waiting to jump out and make you scream. You may encounter evil demons, bloody zombies, creepy clowns, devilish monsters, and other disturbing characters. Plus, you can really face your fears as you try to escape from one of our eight haunted mazes including Willoughby’s Resurrected, Black Widow, Aftermath, Weepy Hills INSANEtorium, Cursed, Total Darkness, Chupacabra and the new Toyz of Terror (mazes require an additional fee). Don’t forget our shuddering Monstertainment, including Voodoo Nights in the new Full Throttle area and the Hypnotist at Golden Bear Theatre (for mature audiences).

Also, exclusively for Fright Fest, stop by select locations to pick up a warm cup of hot chocolate, now served with fun and festive ghost-shaped Peeps marshmallows!

So, they're listing eight mazes:

Oldies

1) Whilloughby's Resurrected (Classic under the Sky Tower)

2) Black Widow (Old Eagles Flight Building)

3) Aftermath (Old Batman Stadium)

4) Cursed (Tidal Wave Queue)

5) Chupacabra (Old Revolution Queue)

Newbies, Rethemed or Relocated

6) Weepy Hills INSANEtorium (Rethemed Lector's Slaughterhouse in DC Universe?)

7) Total Darkness - (Rethemed Blackout but Where? - Either keep it in the now smaller portion of the old Log Jammer Queue or my guess is the back of Palace/FT Building)

8) Toys of Terror (Rethemed Joker's Hideout in the old Flashback Building?)

So Magic Mountain will have 19 coasters by next year. Do you guys expect an Iron Colossus announcement for next summer with the trains running backwards this spring to "make-up" for 2014 fright fest? Or do you believe they'll go for a BIG 20th coaster announcement for 2015 or 2016?

I'm thinking that the big number 20 will come pretty soon, but in the form of Iron Colossus from a marketing standpoint. While the actual 20th will be another small addition, perhaps from a different six flags park. They still have that unused area where Deja Vu was and a relocated wild mouse or spinner would fit in easily enough to the footprint.

Hell, if they wanted to do something more original than that. I bet they could get GCI's shuttle coaster concept in there no problem and have it be a family Apocalypse. Not that Apocalypse's ride isn't well suited for families as long as their children are tall enough.

A spinning mouse would probably be the most sensible addition to reach 20. The park has enough high thrill coasters. What the park needs to focus on is getting the high thrill coasters to run better (Scream!), have more comfortable restraints (Revolution, Viper), and add more flats.

It will probably be either a B&M wing rider or a RMC woodie to reach 20.

I would agree, but if the rumored "Iron Colossus" makeover is true and that is their next major project, that wouldn't give SFMM another coaster since the old Colossus would be out of commission. Still stuck at 19. And I seriously doubt they'd want to bring in RMC for a brand new coaster without touching Colossus.

Just my $0.02

Wouldn't the GP just think it was a lamer version of X2 and Green Lantern?

Does SFMM really need 20 coasters? I mean, if the park has trouble maintaining the coasters they already have, why do they keep adding more when they already have the record? SFA could really benifit from Scream, and the park has other coasters that other smaller SF parks would love to get. If their attendance is worse than seasonal parks, why do they keep getting heavily invested in every other year?

Does SFMM really need 20 coasters? I mean, if the park has trouble maintaining the coasters they already have, why do they keep adding more when they already have the record? SFA could really benifit from Scream, and the park has other coasters that other smaller SF parks would love to get. If their attendance is worse than seasonal parks, why do they keep getting heavily invested in every other year?

They want to be the first park to get 20 coasters.

SFMM will have 19 coasters next year, so it only takes one more coaster to bring it to 20.

^ I know that, it's just that a new, major coaster is expensive and it means more maitenance work, which the park already seems to struggle with, just to have 20 coasters. Also, if they add a kiddie coaster for their 20th, it wouldn't be as impressive.

Why doesn't SFMM ever receive a relocated coaster? If they are going for the most coasters, wouldn't it be cheaper?

I don't think SFMM is going to get to 20 coasters for at least a few more years. They'll have 19, but if Iron Colossus is coming soon, that would be a major investment, but it would keep them at 19 coasters, unless they leave one side as wood? Or maybe they could make both sides each a different coaster, but have them racing? Honestly, I would expect they add another small kiddie coaster the year they do Iron Colossus, that way they can advertise it as the big 20th coaster. But I would love to see them not get their 20th until 2018 and have it be a terrain giga starting from where Deja Vu used to be and moving up to the mountain. That would be awesome, but that would be a serious investment, but it would be so worth it!

I don't have any question that SFMM will get #20 in a few years. I'm actually waiting for that to happen so then maybe they'll STOP putting in coasters every year and turn their attention to other things like Revolution and Colossus and maybe somewhere down the road, new trains for Gold Rusher.

Spent a few hours in the park with some WCB peeps today. It was on ok day, mostly due to the company. Rode Apocalypse, that thing is rough ... REALLY rough. It's now the 2nd best woodie in the park (IMO). Sad too. The part they recently re-tracked was actually the roughest part. And for some reason the AC in the pre-show area wasn't turned on so they were holding everybody outside under the shaded canopies and then letting you in all the way up to the station.

Better than nothing ...

Rode Apocalypse, that thing is rough ... REALLY rough. It's now the 2nd best woodie in the park (IMO).

Agree. Apocalypse has gotten really rough and Colossus has somehow gotten smoother. (Not smooth, but smoothER.) Ive really enjoyed my last few Colossus rides and cannot say the same for Apocalypse.

I don't think SFMM is going to get to 20 coasters for at least a few more years. They'll have 19, but if Iron Colossus is coming soon, that would be a major investment, but it would keep them at 19 coasters, unless they leave one side as wood? Or maybe they could make both sides each a different coaster, but have them racing? Honestly, I would expect they add another small kiddie coaster the year they do Iron Colossus, that way they can advertise it as the big 20th coaster. But I would love to see them not get their 20th until 2018 and have it be a terrain giga starting from where Deja Vu used to be and moving up to the mountain. That would be awesome, but that would be a serious investment, but it would be so worth it!

Haha. This could not possibly some up how I feel any better. A 2000m long Giga with raging airtime would be an awesome investment. I guess the number of 20th coaster could also be symbolic in a 2000m long coaster!