TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's just my opinion, but I don't think the backwards Colossus has anything to do with a "last hoorah"..I think they were already planning on doing backwards Batman with the touring chassis and figured since they already have cars that can run backwards on Colossus why not do both at the same time and make a bigger promotion out of it since it doesn't cost anything more and could potentially bring more guests in.

If they could run both sides of Colossus (one forwards one backwards) that would really be impressive. I would really love to see a backwards and forward side running simultaneously, that would really add to the ride for me. I don't know when the last time they've run the right side was, but I took a close look at it when I was riding the left side Saturday and it looks extremely weathered. The rails look like long abandoned train tracks (they basically are), you can tell just by looking at them that no wheels have touched them for quite a while, and the lift chain is bone dry and appears rusted. I don't know how much work would be required to get it up and running, and I wonder if there is a reason why they've avoided using it for so long (such as it had a mechanical/structural problem and they figured easier to just use the left side than fix the right, better than nothing)

Blackout dates attached to the cheapest level season pass is a new thing this year, correct?

Asking because we bought regular 2013 passes in Sept. 2012 and are intending to return on Sat Oct. 5 this year. I recall there were only 3 levels when we purchased, not 4, and saw nothing about blackout dates.

If the park is making the effort to put out signage, I think it is safe to assume X2 won't be back in action anytime soon.

Hopefully they put something up on the SFMM site so potential park goers can known the ride is closed before they get to the park.... (did they do that the last time a ride was closed long term?)

^^It doesn't matter if they do or not because the Six Flags websites are always wrong. For instance, right now if you click on rides, then click on the specific ride, it tells you that Apocalypse and X2 are both closed. We know from people visiting the park that Apocalypse has been open at least a couple of days now.

SFMM goers... Question for you. I saw on a Facebook page I recently started following (page creators are SFMM goers) about X2's closure and a fancy sign they went and printed out for it.

I had asked about Pocky/Apocalypse and they mentioned that it's running again but with a single train (and fire working too!). Has anyone been to the park lately and able to confirm this?

I found it a bit humorous that they felt like X2 could open next weekend...nope not happening

Yes, "Pocky" is running again with 1 train. The other is in on the maintenance track. Fire was working yesterday (Sunday), but not this morning.

Does anyone have an idea why X2 will be closed for so long? I must have missed something...

Backwards Batman I'm meh about because I love the ride as is and backwards will probably be fun I'm just having a hard time introducing myself to the concept of backwards rides. They should do one train forwards and one trains backwards, or something idk.

Colossus backwards would be cool if they did do one track backwards one forwards. I'm the same hesitant way about running it completely backwards.

And it does make a lot of since for them to add another kiddie coaster in order to set it up so their 20th is a huge coaster. Whoever made that post up there, your link to the hint to what the 20th coaster would be is bad^^^

^ That would make sense. Maybe they save up for a few years, don't add anything major, clean up the park a bit hopefully, and then unveil a huge coaster for their 20th. Maybe a giga from where Deja Vu used to be? But if they do this, then Iron Colossus seems unlikely in the next few years as well. We'll just have to wait and see.

If the park is making the effort to put out signage, I think it is safe to assume X2 won't be back in action anytime soon.

Hopefully they put something up on the SFMM site so potential park goers can known the ride is closed before they get to the park.... (did they do that the last time a ride was closed long term?)

The website does indicate that X2 is closed, it has since last week. I guess it wrongly indicates Apocalypse is still closed, but better that than not indicating X2 is closed. I will give the park credit they are definitely making an effort to let people know it's down - it's on the website, its on the ticket booth outside, there's a big sign at the front gate and at guest relations and also obviously near the bridge as well as the Flash Pass office.

^ The point that Elissa was making is that you can't always count on the parks website to be up to date. Apocalypse is open, website still says it's closed. Even IF X2 were to open the site probably wouldn't be accurate for a few days. You are going to get more accurate information on a fan site than on the parks site.

And STOP calling it POCKY. Pocky isn't a coaster, it's a chocolate covered biscuit stick!!!

Pocky.jpg.3691d27000bd9f9e0d7c328314d89662.jpg

So Magic Mountain will have 19 coasters by next year. Do you guys expect an Iron Colossus announcement for next summer with the trains running backwards this spring to "make-up" for 2014 fright fest? Or do you believe they'll go for a BIG 20th coaster announcement for 2015 or 2016?