TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I just came back from a quick visit to the Mountain. I processed my Gold 2014 season pass in less than 30 minutes today. I bought it online yesterday. They still want to take a new picture of you.

Also the only ride listed on the not operating board was X2. So I'm guessing "Pocky" aka Apocalypse is running again. I didn't go back since I only had an hour before the park closed tonight. I got 6 on Goliath.

Are normal 2014 passes on sale yet? I know they usually come out during Fright Fest time

All 2014 season passes are available online since Friday. I got mine online and as I said processed within 25 minutes including another picture.

^ That's great news! Was the park not that crowded?

At the season pass processing there were only 5 people ahead of me. I bought online, so they scanned the bar code and took my picture and I was off.

That last hour at Goliath, was a walk straight up to the platform and a max 3 train wait. They were running 2 trains. I guess #3 is off site since I didn't see it.

So for WCB on Saturday are we expecting the park to be crowded during the day, or should it be a pretty mellow day, where we should be able to get plenty of rides when we don't have ERT?

I'd expect it to be pretty crowded. You should be able to get in all the non-ERT rides that are open at least once though.

Question, I bought my season pass in April of this year, it doesn't expire til April of next year right? And if so, can I already purchase my 2014 season pass?

Six Flags Magic Mountain passes are based on Calendar Year. 2013 passes expire at the close of business on 12/31/2013. Buying a 2014 season pass now will be good till close of business on 12/31/2014.

^ That's great news! Was the park not that crowded?

At the season pass processing there were only 5 people ahead of me. I bought online, so they scanned the bar code and took my picture and I was off.

That last hour at Goliath, was a walk straight up to the platform and a max 3 train wait. They were running 2 trains. I guess #3 is off site since I didn't see it.

This is probably a great time to get the 2014 passes. Anyone else get stuck in the pass line from hell January of this year?

Question, I bought my season pass in April of this year, it doesn't expire til April of next year right? And if so, can I already purchase my 2014 season pass?

The pass you bought in April will expire 12/31/2013. Unless its a membership pass. 2014 passes are now on sale find 3 others and buy a 4 pack @ $72.99 per and they upgrade it to a Gold Pass that includes parking for at all Six Flags not just SFMM, HH passes for all, and no blackout dates.

Go read the page SFMM Season Pass and find what works for you.

^Memberships are monthly payments. You just continually get billed for them until you stop the membership.

Was at the park this morning. Apocalypse is open but only running one train, the other was indeed damaged I guess. The park wasn't that busy, as Tatsu only had an hour wait even with X2 closed.

New Lex Luthor promo to honor the ride since it now has a big brother and its title is short lived. Thanks to Zumanjaro. I wish I could make it to WCB maybe next year.

LINK REMOVED

ADMIN EDIT: You must have at least 50 posts if you want to create a post which sole purpose is to link to your personal website, update, YouTube video, forum or any other website. At this time, you are not yet allowed to post personal video links from YouTube.

Edited by jedimaster1227

SFMM goers... Question for you. I saw on a Facebook page I recently started following (page creators are SFMM goers) about X2's closure and a fancy sign they went and printed out for it.

999464_164305077088462_773859743_n.jpg

I had asked about Pocky/Apocalypse and they mentioned that it's running again but with a single train (and fire working too!). Has anyone been to the park lately and able to confirm this?

I found it a bit humorous that they felt like X2 could open next weekend...nope not happening

^Memberships are monthly payments. You just continually get billed for them until you stop the membership.

Was at the park this morning. Apocalypse is open but only running one train, the other was indeed damaged I guess. The park wasn't that busy, as Tatsu only had an hour wait even with X2 closed.

^ Apparently it is indeed open again.

^^ There are multiple X2 signs like that around the park, and they also covered up the X2 signage in the Flash Pass office. I know that what you hear from employees should be taken with a grain of salt, but multiple employees I talked to on Saturday at the front gate and in the sky tower told me X2 would be down for "a long time". It's also worth noting that I didn't ask about it, they just volunteered that information.

^ I did witness Apocalypse running on Saturday. I heard Friday was it's first day back running. Pretty good operations around most of the park Sat, everything was running two trains except for Scream, Tatsu used both sides of the station although not simultaneously. They used the west side of the station in the morning and the east side of the station in the afternoon..it was just oppressively hot that day so if they did that to have the guests wait in the shade, much appreciated.

The one terrible operation on Saturday was S:EFK. Even with FP it was over an hour wait after being checked in..completely ridiculous how slow the dispatches were. It looked like they were training a new person to operate the ride, maybe they should find a better time to do that than mid afternoon on Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

YOLOCoaster had long lines throughout the day which was expected since X2 is down. I got there early enough to sneak in with a 15 min wait in the morning when the gates opened but by the time I got off it was up to 90 mins and never got below 45 the rest of the day. If it was cooler I'd have waited 45 mins for a second ride but in that heat I decided one lap was enough, I'll be back in spring for backman and get a couple more Yolo rides then.

Oh, one more bit of news from the Flash Pass office - since YOLOCoaster is now the platinum upcharge ride, Lex Luthor has been permanently placed in the regular flash pass set, it no longer requires an upcharge at all. On a related note, even though YOLOCoaster is normally a Platinum only upgrade, on Saturday they were offering it to Gold FP holders as well..dont know if it was just because it was a busy day or what, but if youre getting gold any time soon it might be worth asking.

EDIT: Apocalypse was the one other coaster running one train, reportedly due to damage to the other train.

Edited by singemfrc

^^ There are multiple X2 signs like that around the park, and they also covered up the X2 signage in the Flash Pass office. I know that what you hear from employees should be taken with a grain of salt, but multiple employees I talked to on Saturday at the front gate and in the sky tower told me X2 would be down for "a long time". It's also worth noting that I didn't ask about it, they just volunteered that information.

^ I did witness Apocalypse running on Saturday. I heard Friday was it's first day back running. Pretty good operations around most of the park Sat, everything was running two trains except for Scream, Tatsu used both sides of the station although not simultaneously. They used the west side of the station in the morning and the east side of the station in the afternoon..it was just oppressively hot that day so if they did that to have the guests wait in the shade, much appreciated.

The one terrible operation on Saturday was S:EFK. Even with FP it was over an hour wait after being checked in..completely ridiculous how slow the dispatches were. It looked like they were training a new person to operate the ride, maybe they should find a better time to do that than mid afternoon on Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

YOLOCoaster had long lines throughout the day which was expected since X2 is down. I got there early enough to sneak in with a 15 min wait in the morning when the gates opened but by the time I got off it was up to 90 mins and never got below 45 the rest of the day. If it was cooler I'd have waited 45 mins for a second ride but in that heat I decided one lap was enough, I'll be back in spring for backman and get a couple more Yolo rides then.

Oh, one more bit of news from the Flash Pass office - since YOLOCoaster is now the platinum upcharge ride, Lex Luthor has been permanently placed in the regular flash pass set, it no longer requires an upcharge at all. On a related note, even though YOLOCoaster is normally a Platinum only upgrade, on Saturday they were offering it to Gold FP holders as well..dont know if it was just because it was a busy day or what, but if youre getting gold any time soon it might be worth asking.

About the give the review myself as well. YOLOcoaster was fun, but very short (as expected). I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes on this ride, IMHO. I'll probably won't do Green Lantern ever again, if not for a long time. Our car was unbalanced, and we were facing the ground on the way up, so you know how crazy the ride was like. I'm a short person, so I was flung around like a rag doll non stop. By the time the ride was over, my shoulders have been killing me. I felt like I was Tina Turner and the Green Lantern was Ike. Like singemfrc said, it was close to 100 degrees that day, and it was humid. Even though we could have ridden everything, we didn't. We had to leave the park a few hours before closing because we were meeting a friend for dinner. Superman was just ridiculous to wait for an hour, even with a FP. And they were training someone--seriously? What park training someone during peak time on a major holiday? Rode Tatsu a few times and saw a broad in front of us lose her shoe on the ride. Oh, and the Sky Tower was open and while waiting people on Tatsu were spitting on us. While singemfrc, was on Golaith, he dealt with middle school kids that were on drugs and acting stupid throughout the ride (flipping the camera off, flashing on the ride, etc.) Kinda reminded me of this Onion Article http://www.theonion.com/articles/six-flags-employee-sick-of-talking-visitors-down-f,33541/

Overall, it was fun and can't wait to go to SFMM again in either March or April when they make the changes. Hopefully, X2 will be up and running. Everytime I go to SFMM X2 is never up, so I'm thinking it's an urban legend.

LA Times Brady MacDonald has gotten more information on the kiddie coaster...

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-six-flags-magic-mountain-2014-09201302,0,7842045.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=70653

Rather than a big new ride for 2014, Six Flags Magic Mountain will unveil several smaller attractions throughout the year.

The Valencia amusement park will run a couple of coasters backward in the spring, add a kiddie coaster and a pair of water slides in the summer and expand its Halloween offerings in the fall.

After introducing the Full Throttle looping launch coaster this year at Magic Mountain, it makes sense that Six Flags would spread the wealth to other locations in the amusement park chain in 2014.

Magic Mountain's biggest addition for 2014 is a small coaster in the park's Bugs Bunny World kiddie land. Known as a Family Gravity Coaster, the Zamperla ride will get a name and theme inspired by an as-yet-unannounced Warner Bros. cartoon character.

Similar to the park's existing Canyon Blaster coaster, the new kiddie ride will feature a 280-foot-long track with an oval layout and a mid-course helix.

With a top speed of 16 mph, the 14-foot-tall coaster certainly won't quicken the pulses of ride enthusiasts but it will raise Magic Mountain's coaster count to an impressive 19, more than any other amusement park in the world.

That's bad news for Cedar Point. The Ohio park recently ceded the title of Roller Coaster Capital of the World to Magic Mountain and won’t be reclaiming the crown any time soon. Cedar Point's loyal and vocal fans will tell you their beloved park's coaster collection is far superior to Magic Mountain's and point out that the California park pads its numbers with four kiddie coasters. But that doesn't change the current score: Magic Mountain 19 and Cedar Point 16.

Magic Mountain's Hurricane Harbor water park will also add a pair of Bonzai Pipeline slides in 2014 featuring enclosed capsules with trap doors that drop riders into a high-speed free fall. Similar capsule slides have been recently added at Six Flags water parks in Massachusetts, Missouri and Maryland.

In Fall 2014, Magic Mountain plans to add a large new haunted maze to its Fright Fest lineup that will be similar in scope and size to Aftermath, which featured post-apocalyptic scenes of overturned vehicles, hovering helicopters and fireball explosions in the former Batman stunt show arena.

In recent years, Magic Mountain has trailed behind Universal Studios Hollywood and Knott's Berry Farm when it comes to Halloween-themed events. The Six Flags park hopes to catch up to the Halloween heavyweights this year and next with the addition of more monsters, new mazes and longer hours.

In the Spring, Magic Mountain will introduce a fun gimmick that's proven popular at other Six Flags parks: Backward coasters. For a limited time starting around Spring Break, the 1994 Batman inverted steel coaster and the 1978 Colossus twin-track wooden coaster will operate with trains running backward.

It remains to be seen if this marks the beginning of an extended farewell promotion for the classic Colossus coaster.

Recently Six Flags converted two old wooden coasters - the 1990 Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas and the 1992 Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas - into wood-steel hybrids that combine a steel track with a wooden structure.

The hybrid conversions, both handled by Idaho-based Rocky Mountain Construction, simultaneously extended the lives of the maintenance-prone rides and turned them into buzz-worthy "new" attractions. Medusa at Six Flags Mexico will get the same treatment in 2014 along with the introduction of multiple looping inversions.

Colossus would be an obvious candidate for a Rocky Mountain makeover, but only time will tell if 2015 is the year of the Iron Colossus.

So here's my take on everything new for next year...

- I am extremely excited for backwards batman since it's my third favorite coaster in the park already.

- Running Colossus backwards hopefully shows that the park is giving it's last hoorah before closing it for RMC makeover.

- Adding another kid coaster is just their way of keeping the coaster crown. Since this will be the nineteenth coaster, the park can make a huge deal about their hopefully huge twentieth coaster in a couple years. And from the article description, it sounds like this could be it. http://rcdb.com/568.htm/url]

- I am very happy to hear about the new slides for Hurricane Harbor, but I don't think they should remove anything to install the new ones.

- As far as placement, I was personally hoping they would put the watersides on the Flashback area and then squeeze the new kid coaster somewhere else.