TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

As far as Bonzai Pipelines is concerned, the press release mentions a five story platform, so perhaps they'll replace Sidewinder and Boa Constrictor (although I'm not 100% sure on the height of those slides and they might be too short). If the slides replace Twisted Fang and Coiled Cobra, they'd need a custom layout as the slides would need to end in the same place as the current ones due to the wave pool, but from an aerial image it looks like the two-slide model at Six Flags St. Louis could fit on the lower platform. I highly doubt Venom Drop is going anywhere as it is a signature slide at the waterpark and it would be difficult to have the slides on Taboo Tower without removing Secret Passage and/or the Black Snake Summit slides. I do wish they had opted for the six slide version, but I'll still be going to Hurricane Harbor next summer to check out these slides as I've never done a trap door slide before.

Regarding the new coaster, if it's a decent family coaster then it will be nice for a break from the more intense thrill rides. I remember one of the surveys had a picture of the Zamperla Junior Twister Coaster, which would at least be unique, but I have no idea what the park might be getting. On the other hand, if it's a kiddie coaster (like the Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster shown in the video), it seems like it would just be a total waste. Even when I've visited SFMM on Saturdays during a holiday weekend, nothing in the kiddie area ever has more than a one cycle wait. SFMM is a coaster park, not a family park despite what the promos say, so without a major overhaul and several new family attractions scattered around the park it seems like any attempt to appeal to that demographic is a lost cause.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of backward coasters, but I'm looking forward to backwards Batman. I do think it will probably be a one-time only ride, but I'd like to try it. Backwards Colossus is better than regular Colossus, but isn't really a new attraction and I wouldn't wait more than 15-20 minutes to ride it.

If SFMM was going in the direction we all dream of, the next 2 years would hopefully look something like:

2015:

3 new flats - A giant frisbee and 2 family flats.

Viper, Scream, Goliath, Tatsu, and Riddler's repaints.

Building rehabs and repaints.

2016:

Iron Colossus.

New family coaster, something Gold Rusher sized. Maybe Zierer?

Remaining needed ride and roller coaster repaints and rehabs, including new trains for Viper and Revolution.

2017:

More new flats.

Hurricane Harbor expansion.

These would be really nice additions, if SFMM would go for them.

Aren't we expecting Iron Colossus in 2015 and some flats the next few years?

So is Batman backwards going to be open during Fright Fest just like colossus backwards, or is it going to be open backwards later in the season? And will colossus stay backwards after Fright Fest because they always have it backwards but they never announce like this so i would assume it's going to stay backwards for a longer period of time?

If I had to guess they'd just keep the backwards trains on the track after Fright Fest. Hopefully they will continue to run one side forward and one side backwards. Now if they actually run backwards Colossus from the end of Fright Fest until Spring is another question.

I highly doubt Backwards Batman will be a permanent thing.

I think for 2014 SFMM needed to do very little in the way of new attractions.

They just need to keep the midway open and let the cash register sing as 2014 will be a very busy year.

Only thinking it will be busy, as any-day now Universal Studios will be starting its $1.6 billion Harry Potter build and USH will just be a mess. I hate to even compare the 2 parks as USH only has 5 or 6 rides and aren't in the same ballpark as SFMM for coasters. But when it comes time to spend the entertainment dollars for a vacation people will take a look at construction taking over USH and just choose to go to another theme park. Perhaps even has something to do with SFMM having some "Blackout dates" for lower level season pass for 2014 as they know USH Horror night might be limited by the build and SFMM will get the over flow for Freight Fest.

As far as Hurricane harbor glad to see a new slide and hope they get it in prior to the 2014 season starting.

Wish SFMM would step up and put in some EV charging stations in the old gas station area of the parking lot. Even Disneyland doesn't offer EV stations so perhaps SFMM can set a example with about 20 stations.

I remember visiting Magic Mountain as a kid when there was far more than just the one kiddie area in Bugs Bunny World.

There was the Speedy Gonzalez little mice ride where Panda Express used to be, right next to the huge Viper. There was Spilliken Corners back where Shockwave used to be, and then it became Cyclone Bay for Cyclone but was still a pretty kid-friendly area with things to do while my older sister went on the big bad coasters. When sis wanted on Ninja, the Sky Tower was open as the kid-friendly alternative. There was Back Street with the fun flat rides that I could ride as a kid in what's now DC Universe. Of course, Log Jammer and Jet Stream were kid friendly, as was the METRO that went all over the park. Mystic Lake had that cool Batman Lazer Light Stunt Show for a while before the lake was claimed by Hurricane Harbor. Where 3-point challenge is now was the old Circus Wheel - a kid-friendly ride I could do. Where Goliath is now used to be the Jolly Roger tilt-a-whirl which was another kid-friendly offering. I remember doing Circus Wheel and Jolly Roger with Mom while Dad took older sis down to Colossus. If I needed a roller coaster along the way - Gold Rusher was the best option. It's great that Gold Rusher is still open, but it's sad that it's become more of a novelty for 20somethings than the kid-friendly coaster it used to be.

The point is, when my family went to Magic Mountain as a family 25 years ago with 2 parents, my older sister, and me... we all had things to do all over the park! Unfortunately, almost all of the kid-friendly alternatives are gone now. The ones still there are running on borrowed time. What are they replaced with? Coasters, or nothing - which incidentally has been the park's attitude for the last 10+ years now.

Even Magic Mountain knew it was a poor idea to put all the kid-friendly eggs in one basket, and only very recently (last 10 years or so) has become that way. I'm amazed people are defending this idea now. No cohesive family was to stay permanently separated. Splitting in various areas of the park is one thing - at least the family can walk from place to place together. Forcing kids to stay in one place while the others tour the entire park is completely different. We certainly wouldn't have wanted to do that back when I was taken to Magic Mountain as a little kid. I can't believe anyone really wants to do that today.

Only thinking it will be busy, as any-day now Universal Studios will be starting its $1.6 billion Harry Potter build and USH will just be a mess.

If your just the average person going on vacation then your not going to know about construction taking place at USH. It's not like they are going go to stop advertising the park.

I hate to even compare the 2 parks as USH only has 5 or 6 rides and aren't in the same ballpark as SFMM for coasters.

Yeah, I think USH and SFMM should not even be in the same sentence with the word compare. Completely different styles of rides.

You know the management doesn't even care about the ride when they don't even have a name for it yet!

At least they acknowledged that it won't be open until next summer.

I'm calling it now ... YOLOcoaster Jr.

I like that one. Lets all call it that.

I forgot to mention earlier that I'm glad Hurricane Harbor is getting a couple of capsule drop slides. I went on a capsule drop slide at Raging Waters San Jose and it was a lot of fun. I'm guessing its not going to be a looping one like at Noah's Arc otherwise they would have probably mentioned it.

Only thinking it will be busy, as any-day now Universal Studios will be starting its $1.6 billion Harry Potter build and USH will just be a mess. I hate to even compare the 2 parks as USH only has 5 or 6 rides and aren't in the same ballpark as SFMM for coasters. But when it comes time to spend the entertainment dollars for a vacation people will take a look at construction taking over USH and just choose to go to another theme park. Perhaps even has something to do with SFMM having some "Blackout dates" for lower level season pass for 2014 as they know USH Horror night might be limited by the build and SFMM will get the over flow for Freight Fest.

None of the attractions outside of Curious George are impacted by the build. Maybe 0.000001% of USH's guests will be upset by that. And that will only be a problem until Despicable Me/Silly Silly Funland opens, which will offset the loss of that family play area. Lets not forget how ridiculously popular the Minion characters are. Despicable Me is going to be a huge draw.

There is also still the same amount of mazes this year located in different areas than in previous years (perhaps they already planned for the construction? Hmm...).

You can't compare SFMM to USH because USH is in a different league---the nearly 3.5 million more guests USH had in 2012 speaks for itself. The Studio Tour > anything at SFMM when it comes to tourist dollars. Or even local dollars for that matter, as I am guessing they are having just as much success with their "buy a day, get the year" free program as SFMM...

Edited by Jew

If I had to guess they'd just keep the backwards trains on the track after Fright Fest. Hopefully they will continue to run one side forward and one side backwards. Now if they actually run backwards Colossus from the end of Fright Fest until Spring is another question.

I highly doubt Backwards Batman will be a permanent thing.

Sadly, I can't see them actually running both sides on Colossus until it's closed for the rebuild. I've been riding Col all summer trying to get in as many rides as possible in case it did close before the end of the year, and the right side has simply not been touched since they switched operations over to the left side sometime around 6 to 8 years ago. The maintenance required to get the other side running (probably replacing all the rusted out steel across most the track length) would be completely out of SFMM's range.

Personally, if I had to guess, they will probably run Colossus backwards during FF and then go back to the Morgan trains a few days into November. They'll bust the B&M's back out in Spring when they debut the backwards chassis on BTR, and spread some fanfare. Around then they'll probably just scrap the Morgan trains, and keep the B&M running backward through till the end of either June or July, when they'll close the coaster down, and we'll all get to wait until August 29, 2014 to get the official announcement of Iron Colossus (or will it be Colossus Steel Coaster?).

Batman backwards will definitely not be permanent as the special chassis they've built for the backwards operations is meant to travel throughout the major Six Flags parks over the next handful of seasons.

The new kids coaster certainly came out of nowhere, but I can't be too surprised by SFMM spending a relatively small sum to achieve a technical 19 coaster count. I would strongly hesitate to get your hopes up on anything too all-family oriented or actually interesting, as they clearly haven't figured out what they're actually installing yet. I do find it a little funny to see them add another coaster to Bug's world, as I've noticed that Magic Flyer seems to have very little ridership these days. Not little as in little kids, but little as in no kids interested in riding it. I always see a super bored ride op just standing in the station, waiting for someone small enough to want to ride it, but probably just turning away TPR members.

As for Hurricane Harbor, I'm not a water park fan, so I could sort of care less, but I have noticed that Venom Drop seems to be very scarcely attempted these days.

Just a quick question... it may seem ignorant but I honestly am curious haha. So last week when I visited the park Scream was only running one train, but at the front of the quene they had a sign I'd never read before that said something like "For maintenance reasons or checks or something we are only running one train"... I'm guessing that they actually were only running one train for maintenance, I just was shocked since Scream usually always has two trains.

And also, Riddlers just doesn't even have another train to run right? For almost two years now everytime I go its running one train and I'm pretty sure a few months ago I heard they sent one of its trains to Green Lantern @ SFGAdv.

Thanks!