TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I think I can deal with what, 4 blackout days for Fright Fest? Wonder if this year is a test to see if they can make FF a separate admission like the other parks do for their Halloween events. Nice to some focus on to keep expanding the FF experience as well. As far as the additions, very glad to see them working on Hurricane Harbor again. Are the Bonzai Pipelines being attached to a pre-existing tower/slide, or is this all new construction? A tad unusual that the coaster for kids doesn't have a name as of yet with some incredibly vague details. Interesting they now will have a kids coaster record. Always like Colossus backwards during FF, great that it is now year round. Batman backwards should be fun to try.

While I'm stoked for the new slides (always wanted to try these ones) there are only 2? I'm guessing these will be replacing the white towers slide tower? I really wanted to see a multi slide tower to replace the White/Black slide towers that have been there too long. Hopefully some other work will go on at the waterpark as well.

As for the expanded hours and dive in movies ... I'm totally sold on that.

It's obvious that the kids expansion is going where Metro/Flashback was, that's the only logical place unless they are getting rid of Whistlestop Depot. It's nice to see them expanding the kids area.

Notice how they put that Colossus would be backwards next "spring".

Do they have enough trains to run Colossus backwards as it looks like it's both sides? They used Psyclones old trains and if I recall they only have 2-3 meaning at most 1 side would have 1 train and the other would have 2 unless they only run one side, or they just run it with the regular Colossus trains (but I think they need the headrests).

When we went to the park last Sunday I remember all of us were saying how intense Batman was, so that should be crazy running backwards!

^I do agree with the above statement I think this is a way of the park pleasing people by giving them a full season of Colossus backwards before they transform it to Iron Colossus for 2015 if thats what indeed they decide to do.

Did anyone else find it odd that Six Flags only announced three NEW roller coasters (I know other attractions, but I'm talking coaster wise) and 2/3 were RMC wood/hybrid and the other a kiddie coaster for SFMM? No wing coaster, no premier launched, no Euro Fighter for any of their parks? This is in no way a rip on those two as they look AMAZING, but I just found it odd that there are only 3 new coasters and 2/3 are wood/hybrid from the same company. 2014 seems like a pretty quiet year for not just Six Flags but other parks as well compared to previous years.

Do they have enough trains to run Colossus backwards as it looks like it's both sides? They used Psyclones old trains and if I recall they only have 2-3 meaning at most 1 side would have 1 train and the other would have 2 unless they only run one side, or they just run it with the regular Colossus trains (but I think they need the headrests).

Colossus will probably only run one side backwards with two trains.

It's obvious that the kids expansion is going where Metro/Flashback was, that's the only logical place unless they are getting rid of Whistlestop Depot. It's nice to see them expanding the kids area.

Depending on how large the family coaster is, it can also be shoehorned into backstage spaces around the theater as well.

Did anyone else find it odd that Six Flags only announced three NEW roller coasters (I know other attractions, but I'm talking coaster wise) and 2/3 were RMC wood/hybrid and the other a kiddie coaster for SFMM? No wing coaster, no premier launched, no Euro Fighter for any of their parks? This is in no way a rip on those two as they look AMAZING, but I just found it odd that there are only 3 new coasters and 2/3 are wood/hybrid from the same company. 2014 seems like a pretty quiet year for not just Six Flags but other parks as well compared to previous years.

This is good for them, if you ask me - it's also worth nothing that almost every (or is it every?) park is getting something next year, which is great. Money isn't being thrown around like it's no object, but still each park is getting a flat or an interactive water ride or a new slide complex or something to keep them in the game. It's just what we all always say the SF parks need more of - flats and family rides. Taking a year off of giant coasters across the country is fine by me - who knows, maybe 2015 will be awesome enough to make up for it!

My best estimate run it backwards March through Memorial Day weekend then reopen in summer of 2015.

That's generous. Knowing Magic Mountain, they'll manage to delay even flipping trains around - something they do every year already.

I'm glad HH is getting slides...a new kiddie coaster seems really uninspired though. The park could use new kiddie rides...I don't think a fourth kiddie coaster really evens out the coaster to other ride ratio issue the park has.

I'm glad HH is getting slides...a new kiddie coaster seems really uninspired though. The park could use new kiddie rides...I don't think a fourth kiddie coaster really evens out the coaster to other ride ratio issue the park has.

BUT IT'S SO XTREME TO HAVE FOUR KIDDIE COASTERS!!!! (at a park where children aren't really welcome or want to visit!)

I don't think a fourth kiddie coaster really evens out the coaster to other ride ratio issue the park has.

And all in the same spot. Makes absolutely ZERO sense to me that they'd jam all these family rides into one small space, even if it's expanded in size.

I said the same thing when the moved Road Runner Express from it's original location by Deja Vu over to Bugs Bunny World. It made sense on the other side of the park because there aren't any kids or family rides over there. So it gives something for those people who have smaller kids too little for bigger rides to do on another side of the park.

Then again, it's not like you see THAT many families and kids at SFMM to begin with which begs the question "why are they doing this in the first place?"

Didn't they just get finished proving a few years ago that family rides DIDN'T work for the park, which is how we ended up being all YOLO in the first place?

--Robb "I'm not sure I'll ever understand the strategy for Six Flags Magic Mountain..." Alvey

I don't think people with little kids would like going across the park for just one kiddie coaster and then going all the way back to Bugs Bunny World. If they had more rides to spread across the park this would work, but it seems like a waste at the moment IMO.

YAY finally an off year for the park... in my opinion. Now they can put money into infrastructure and finishing YOLOCOASTER plaza

Or they're just saving money for their Wooden (YOLO someone died on one of these!) Iron Colossus. Seriously, I bet people will be saying someone died on it within weeks.

^You have to start sometime. And you really can't understand unless you actually have kids. With all the kiddie rides in one spot it is harder for families to split up so the "big kids" can go ride the bigger rides while someone stays with the smaller children. Having it more spread out, makes it much easier to plan your day. Dollywood is a perfect example of a park that does it right.

^Exactly!

^^Dude, you're 18, please listen and leave the comments to the parents on this one.

Eric is exactly correct. It SUCKS being stuck in a 'kids area' all day while the rest of your friends or family are going around the park riding stuff. It's best to have kids rides near the majors so that you can baby swap easy, and stay with your group. Silver Dollar City also does AWESOME with this!

^You have to start sometime. And you really can't understand unless you actually have kids. With all the kiddie rides in one spot it is harder for families to split up so the "big kids" can go ride the bigger rides while someone stays with the smaller children. Having it more spread out, makes it much easier to plan your day. Dollywood is a perfect example of a park that does it right.

Quoted for truth. The closest thing SFMM has to this is Gold Rusher and a couple of family flats (Scrambler, Sand Blasters) in the back area. This family coaster near there, or Apocalypse, or really anywhere else in the park would be really cool too have IMO.

Eric is exactly correct. It SUCKS being stuck in a 'kids area' all day while the rest of your friends or family are going around the park riding stuff. It's best to have kids rides near the majors so that you can baby swap easy, and stay with your group. Silver Dollar City also does AWESOME with this!

Sounds like this has happened to you a few times!

I wonder if the people who plan the layouts for the park don't have kids or have forgotten what it is like to take a family to the park?