TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ I hate to say it, but that may be the best thing for the ride if they take the time to put some work into it.

I'm under the belief that SFMM should close every year after FF and reopen for Spring Break. They don't do a whole lot for the holidays like Disney and Knott's and the park is very seldom busy during that time (except for things like Key Club Day). If they had an offseason the hope would be that they'd do all of their refurbishments then that way thing would be up and running all summer and at full capacity.

Yes, a lot of wishful thinking.

If they can't keep things nice with 5 days a week during the offseason to complete projects, what makes you think it would be any better with a proper offseason? The issue has never been time---tons of talented guys work at SFMM on the technical side who are more than capable of getting things done if given the proper resources.

I heard that X2 won't be open until March 2014.

Did the lift motor or chain break? Last time X/X2 had a unexpected closure for that long was due to the lift motor breaking and a new one had to be manufactured.

^^ I hate to say it, but that may be the best thing for the ride if they take the time to put some work into it.

I'm under the belief that SFMM should close every year after FF and reopen for Spring Break. They don't do a whole lot for the holidays like Disney and Knott's and the park is very seldom busy during that time (except for things like Key Club Day). If they had an offseason the hope would be that they'd do all of their refurbishments then that way thing would be up and running all summer and at full capacity.

Yes, a lot of wishful thinking.

You are giving SFMM WAY too much benefit of the doubt.

Back when X unexpectedly closed for 6 months back in 2006/2007, when they did manage to reopen, the ride looked as if it wasn't touched during the entire closure. Grime and dust everywhere .

Here's a TR from back then.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337112#337112

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster

So tomorrow... Are we looking for an announcement on the closure of Colossus, or will we just wait and see when they announce the closure in a few months or so instead?

Cause if it's for 2015 they probably wouldn't announce the actual coaster tomorrow would they?

I wouldn't expect any mention of Collossus tomorrow but you never know

If Iron Collossus is for 2015 I'd expect an announcement in earlly to mid 2014

So tomorrow... Are we looking for an announcement on the closure of Colossus, or will we just wait and see when they announce the closure in a few months or so instead?

Cause if it's for 2015 they probably wouldn't announce the actual coaster tomorrow would they?

I wouldn't expect any mention of Collossus tomorrow but you never know

If Iron Collossus is for 2015 I'd expect an announcement in earlly to mid 2014

Maybe once FF starts, telling everyone to get their last rides in, because it's closing after FF, and is going to be changed or whatever they want to say.

Not sure if it was ever mentioned on here but during a backstage tour of YOLOcoaster with several media outlets it was hinted that the old arcade building would be something to watch in the future. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Which arcade building? Palace games was converted to the Dogs/Wings place?

Not sure if it was ever mentioned on here but during a backstage tour of YOLOcoaster with several media outlets it was hinted that the old arcade building would be something to watch in the future. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Unless he was talking about the arcade next to Tatsu.

They mean the back part of the arcade building. That building is pretty large and the 2 food places and 1 store only take up the front third of it. My guess the backhalf will be used for a FF maze this year.

I don't remember hearing any teasers for any rides the past 4-5 years. Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, and YOLOcoaster all came out of nowhere (IIRC).

They actually teased Lex Luthor during the Go Big Updates they used to do. I remember that chick saying something is coming and then she points to the Superman tower behind her.

sfmm_stuff.thumb.jpg.169f470f1a65ca236e3bb943dfd60c6e.jpg

It’s official. Coming in 2014, Six Flags Magic Mountain will introduce an exciting season-long line-up of thrills. In spring, BATMAN The Ride and Colossus will run backwards, and in summer, the children’s area will expand with a family-friendly coaster and a new show.

For a limited time next season, Six Flags Magic Mountain will intensify your ride experience and twist your view on BATMAN The Ride. The thrill ride will run backwards, giving you a whole new experience as you face the other direction. As you fly in reverse along the 2,700-foot track, with your feet dangling below, your ride is unpredictable, because you won’t be able to see the hairpin turns, vertical loops, and heartline spins coming up next.

No matter how many times you’ve been on the classic Colossus before, you’re going to be completely surprised during the reverse experience that is usually reserved for Fright Fest. As you elevate up the 100-foot-tall lift hill, you’ll be staring right back down at the ground you just traveled, and unpredictably plunge down the drop. You’ll race up and down 14 hills and a triple jump before you can even prepare to scream.

Bugs Bunny World is the six-acre children’s area of the park with 12 pint-sized attractions. In summer 2014, this area will get a makeover with the addition of a new coaster and family-friendly show in the Carrot Club Theater. The new children’s coaster will be the 19th coaster at the park, and will feature an action-packed adventure with drops and hills for thrill-seekers-in-training. The new coaster addition brings the total number of coasters in the children’s area to four; more than any other U.S. theme park.

Next fall, the annual Fright Fest celebration will get even scarier with the largest event expansion in the park’s history, with new mazes, more scare zones, and extended days and hours.

The all-new attractions and experiences are set to debut in 2014. Are you ready to take on these all-new thrills?

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/magicmountain/kids-area-expansion/

main_LAWPBonzaiPipelines.jpg.e01331bf8f151aee04a6639a49792676.jpg

It’s official. Coming in 2014, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will introduce new experiences to beat the heat.

Hurricane Harbor will unveil two new thrill slides, Bonzai Pipelines, that deliver free-fall excitement when the floor drops out from side by side launching capsules. You can also cool off in the Forgotten Sea Wave Pool with our all-new Dive-In Movies experience, showing some of the hottest family-friendly films at the water park. Hurricane Harbor will also feature new dining options and extended operating hours.

The all-new attractions and experiences are set to debut in 2014. Are you ready to take on these all-new thrills?

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/hurricaneharborla/bonzai-pipelines/

Edited by robbalvey

Very very excited to finally try Backman, and I've always loved Backwards Colossus so much.

All in all I enjoyed the way that announcements were handled this year. Aside from the dude trying to be funny at parts, it was really well done and I'm glad it all happened in one big batch. Now to wait for the individual extended renderings of the new coasters..

^ Can you really blame them? For an all year park those passes are super cheap so charging regular admission on Saturdays during FrightFest seems logical, for once.

Continue to go YOLO next season, lmao, such bad hired aspiring model acting in the announcement video.

Well, it looks like Colossus will be around at least for a little bit next year running backwards, interesting. I guess it's just wait and see with that...

I'm actually VERY happy that they're still trying to update and improve their family selection, hopefully this will be successful for them!

And also very pleased with new thrilling slides at HH. I may have to try those out sometime!

Well done, Six Flags! Now just give Revolution some new trains and re-do Colossus already and I'll be happy!!