TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What makes me the most curious about the FT problem is that he said that the other train will have to go on the transfer for a few days too to fix the part. So then if the operating train has the broken part too, then why are they running it? Also, with that logic, shouldn't they be running both trains until the part comes in?

I went to the park yesterday and FT had a 2 hour wait all day except for a period where it broke down for a reason I still don't know. I entered the line when it reopened and got 3/4 of the way up the ramp leading to the station and it still took 35 minutes to get on the ride. So I believe 2 trains makes a huge difference.

-Cookie

What makes me the most curious about the FT problem is that he said that the other train will have to go on the transfer for a few days too to fix the part. So then if the operating train has the broken part too, then why are they running it? Also, with that logic, shouldn't they be running both trains until the part comes in?

Maybe because the "broken part" on the working train hasn't broke- yet, so why put it down if it still works safely?

Maybe because the "broken part" on the working train hasn't broke- yet, so why put it down if it still works safely?

If it was a safety issue with the part, since the trains are the same, I don't think the other train would be running at all. It wouldn't make sense to me if they had a "let the part break before we do anything" mentality. My guess is that its something to do with the wear and tear on the train and keeping the trains in good condition.

I went to the park yesterday and FT had a 2 hour wait all day except for a period where it broke down for a reason I still don't know. I entered the line when it reopened and got 3/4 of the way up the ramp leading to the station and it still took 35 minutes to get on the ride. So I believe 2 trains makes a huge difference.

-Cookie

Really? I was there the same day and I remember it only taking about 30 minutes from were I got in line, which was at the bottom of the ramp. But the line probably would have been about 10-15 minutes or even less if there were 2 trains running, especially considering how fast the ride crews were going.

If it was a safety issue with the part, since the trains are the same, I don't think the other train would be running at all. It wouldn't make sense to me if they had a "let the part break before we do anything" mentality. My guess is that its something to do with the wear and tear on the train and keeping the trains in good condition.

I don't think it was a preemptive removal for safety, because youre right that if that was the case the ride would have been completely closed. I got the impression it was an unexpected failure of a part on one of the trains and that part has not yet failed in the other train.

I don't think wear and tear is a possibility since the trains are so new. That being said I would assume that they would have ordered replacement parts for both trains, and while they continue to run the other train for now to avoid having to close the ride they will probably replace the faulty part in both trains as soon as they can.

Just wanted to post a few observations from my visit last Thursday. This was the first time I had been to SFMM in probably 8 years so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.

Was able to use the Discover Card early entry to my advantage and was the first train out on X2 of the morning. The last time I had rode it, it was just X. I had heard some negative things about the overall experience of the ride but I didn't get beat up too bad and still think this ride is quite remarkable. I rode it twice over the course of the day, is there any reason one train has working sound and one doesn't? Or is that just management not caring?

I had not rode Tatsu before since it was built after my last visit. Probably my biggest surprise of the trip, what an excellent ride, by far the best flyer I have been on.

Overall park experience was good. Crowds were not too heavy and most operating crews were working hard and were more friendly and energetic than I remember from before. Lex Luthor was open when I was there and thought it was an excellent drop ride with late brakes. As most have mentioned on here, Full Throttle was a nice surprise and overall a good addition to the park. I would like to see the park open later during the week, its unfortunate I wasn't able to really get any night rides in with the park closing at 9. Seems to be more of an industry trend I guess.

Just a few negative comments I had from my visit. Can anyone explain the one car operation during summer time? Is it a cost saving mechanism in terms of ware and tear or does adding an extra train require more staff? Waited at least double what I should have for Batman, Scream, and Superman. All three of these would have been very reasonable waits with a 2 car operation. Instead, I spent the most time in these lines because the capacity is so low with just one. I know Scream had a sign that said one train due to maintenance, but it still makes no sense in the dead of summer. The ride operators just stand around or goof off while the one train is out on the track. On Scream, numerous times the one car sat outside of the station because they weren't paying attention and weren't ready to clear it for entry. One side running on Superman was unbearable because Flash Pass users would come in and take up nearly a whole train at a time.

My only other negative comment (outside of the outrageous parking price) was in regards to Green Lantern. I had read about it here, but I was sure not prepared for the feeling of having my body ripped apart during this ride. Maybe my weight distribution was not correct, just wasn't a very pleasant ride experience.

With all that said, I look forward to getting a chance to make it back out some day!

Just a few negative comments I had from my visit. Can anyone explain the one car operation during summer time? Is it a cost saving mechanism in terms of ware and tear or does adding an extra train require more staff? Waited at least double what I should have for Batman, Scream, and Superman. All three of these would have been very reasonable waits with a 2 car operation. Instead, I spent the most time in these lines because the capacity is so low with just one. I know Scream had a sign that said one train due to maintenance, but it still makes no sense in the dead of summer. The ride operators just stand around or goof off while the one train is out on the track. On Scream, numerous times the one car sat outside of the station because they weren't paying attention and weren't ready to clear it for entry. One side running on Superman was unbearable because Flash Pass users would come in and take up nearly a whole train at a time.

My only other negative comment (outside of the outrageous parking price) was in regards to Green Lantern. I had read about it here, but I was sure not prepared for the feeling of having my body ripped apart during this ride. Maybe my weight distribution was not correct, just wasn't a very pleasant ride experience.

Scream:

There is absolutely no excuse for a coaster that has 3 trains to ever have only 1 train operation with the exception of off-season Jan-Mar. Scream rarely has a line but with 1 train during the summer the line can get past the entrance which is waaaaaay too long of a wait for Scream.

Goliath:

Rarely runs 3 trains anymore even though during the peak season June-Labor day it should run 3 trains as it 1 of the most popular coasters in the park.

While SFMM is still on my park bucket list, it's almost not worth visiting other than getting the credits. The operations just sound bad (though if I recall correctly, they seem to be improving) and I'm not used to one train ops at many parks (besides weekdays at HW). Hopefully when I visit in a few years, things will get better.

Went to the park, and it seems like SFMM has installed what appears to be a permanent queue for Full Throttle. It looks much nicer than those temporary rails. I also got to ride Green Lantern and it was probably the most amazing ride I have had in quite a while, with three full flips and landing into the station upside down, I hope to get more rides like these in the future!

Went to the park for an hour or so early evening today. I know everyone keeps bashing it but I like the Full Throttle plaza. I like the energy, the music and the dancers. They were even doing contests to win front of the line passes for Full Throttle. I also noticed that they're slowly putting in permanent queue stands and they're about half way through the tent structure. I also noticed they painted a large "FT" logo on top of the old Log Jammer pump house. It seems like they're slowly adding more enhancements to the area. I had the chili cheese criss-cross fries and they were really good. I want to try the Full Throttle fries next time.

FT was running two trains and also Superman was running both sides tonight. I love how one person sees 1 train on the transfer track for half a day and this board goes on 3 pages of ranting about how horrible that is and how the park should have bought a third train. It cracks me up...

^The complaints about YOLOPlaza aren't about the entertainment options, but rather the cheap nature of the area. Outside of the water feature in the ground, you can tell the whole area was thrown together in about 5 minutes. If/when it is all actually finished, it has potential.

Went to the park for an hour or so early evening today. I know everyone keeps bashing it but I like the YOLOcoaster plaza. I like the energy, the music and the dancers. They were even doing contests to win front of the line passes for YOLOcoaster. I also noticed that they're slowly putting in permanent queue stands and they're about half way through the tent structure. I also noticed they painted a large "FT" logo on top of the old Log Jammer pump house. It seems like they're slowly adding more enhancements to the area. I had the chili cheese criss-cross fries and they were really good. I want to try the YOLOcoaster fries next time.

FT was running two trains and also Superman was running both sides tonight. I love how one person sees 1 train on the transfer track for half a day and this board goes on 3 pages of ranting about how horrible that is and how the park should have bought a third train. It cracks me up...

I agree! I went on FT for the first time last Monday and loved it! Wish it could of been longer. I actually thought the FT plaza looked smaller than what I seen on videos. Maybe because of the sheer amount of people that were around surprisingly on a Monday. We arrived just after noon and headed straight there. Both trains were running and I felt it was a comfortable wait under the big tent with the huge TV screen showing 'extreme' activities and SFMM coasters...nice touch! The whole park vibe seemed high spirited during the whole day with some real great moments like the water rides where we got soaked! Then when it came to the evening, I got my last ride on Lex Luthor. Oh man, what a rush at night!! We stopped and hanged out for FT Nights and watched the band Velocity play. Can't wait to come back for FrightFest and see what they do with the area, probably a scare zone!

We still in the SFMM thread?

Uh huh.

Oh.

On a serious note, it is fun to imagine a five year commitment to maintain the thrill rides while all annual capital was put into some heavy theming/maint work. I know, I know, it's too far gone at this point .. but holy crap is the potential ever there for a really incredible, well rounded, beautiful park!

Like Joey said, when the Full Throttle plaza is done it could look good. It's just a shame it wasn't all ready to go when the ride open considering how much time the site looked like nothing was going on they certainly could have staffed some more people to get the landscaping and entry area done.

Look at it this way ... we were all there for the loop topping off ceremony on April 11. They had the complete circuit done a few days later. Yes, there was a LOT of work still to be done on the LSM's, etc but there is NO reason why they couldn't have been working on the Full Throttle area (which as you remember was included with the press release as an entire new area), the queue, station, etc.

Looking back through my pictures, even up to June 6 the area was still empty of anything. And then the ride opened on June 21.

Pictures below to illustrate what I'm talking about.

IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.3178fa8e30504b78ea210bbab808b0fd.JPG

April 11

IMG_2296.thumb.JPG.1256ed161b9ebbe69fc4b1a37a126d93.JPG

Almost the EXACT same shot from June 6 except for the piece of track.

I feel it wont change at all. Parks want money, obviously, I bet no person has ever not gone to a park because it didnt have a couple extra trees or a better plaza area. They try to make it look good with cheap and or half-assed things, and people still go!

But im on the side of a park taking their time and making it look right. I think cutting corners will just show which park(s) actually care about their guest and which ones want to haul in the money, and shell out a few

But doesnt that pretty much sum up most businesses?! Haha