TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^

1) I think everybody is pretty certain that Iron Colossus is coming and that at the very least it will be 2015

2) Due to how delayed everything is at SFMM the past few years I think people are kind of sick of talking about 1 ride for a year or more

3) YOLOcoaster was a 20 month process from the day Log Jammer closed and I think people just have construction burn-out. I know I certainly do.

4) I honestly don't think there is going to be a major addition for 2014. Maybe a flat or two for SFMM and new slides for SFHH. I'll be absolutely thrilled with those but they don't really generate a whole lot of rumors like a coaster would.

I completely agree. My biggest hope is for Iron Colossus in 2015. I imagine they will announce Colossus's closing early next year and it will reopen Summer of 2015.

I wonder if it might be possible to run Iron Colossus during future fright fests? Anyone know if that's feasible with those trains?

If you mean running a train backwards, and if this was something SFMM elected to continue doing, I'm sure it's something either RMC or Gerstlauer could accommodate. That's of course if SFMM was willing to fork over the $$ they saved cutting corners on YOLO Plaza.

^ ^^ ^^^ I'm definitely going to make sure to get some laps in on the B&M trains this October just in case it's the last time Colossus is run backwards and/or even just the last time on those trains. Theyre still the only wooden coaster trains B&M has ever built, as such I hope someone retains them.

It would be great if Iron Colossus is something like NTAG and iRat. That would be a great addition to the park I think.

That is if someone doesn't go and fly out of it! (To soon??) Just kidding... In all seriousness I feel like Colossus being redone via the RM treatment is just what SFMM needs!!

Headed over to both parks tomorrow. Gonna use my YOLO exit pass and ride a few rides at Magic then head over to HH for a few hours.

If it's open tomorrow could you possibly go on the Observation Tower and take pics or at least report back to see if anything is going on in the Deja Vu area (or any other area for that matter). I say Deja Vu area because thats the biggest piece of land open right now (besides the parking lot).

Maybe it's me, but I have a bit of a hard time believing that RMC will be able to tolerate how SFMM does business.

I'm talking about how SFMM does its budgeting, bizarre marketing, and generally piss-poor operations. SFOT and SFFT are zero indication of how SFMM runs those aspects of their park.

I was at the Mountain today. Several rides with 1 train operation: Scream, Goliath, Batman that I noticed.

I heard an interesting rumor regarding Colossus. Sound like it's going to get the RMC treatment in the future. This probably will be delayed with the incident on NTAG in Dallas. The new twist I heard today was both sides of Colossus would be combined to make the largest woodie anywhere. They normally don't run both sides at the same time, and the combination would make a ride approaching 6 minutes in length. Again, just a rumor and definitely an interesting one...

^ 2 GOOD

But if they kept both lift hills, they could have the first section be the original layout and the second half RMC godliness like a cork-skrew around the original track. Then you get the best of both worlds. They could also put a sensor on the second lift that would start the lift once the next dispatched train hits the first hill so you'd get the racing element of the coaster ... twice, once on the original track and then once on the crazy track.

I heard an interesting rumor regarding Colossus. Sound like it's going to get the RMC treatment in the future. This probably will be delayed with the incident on NTAG in Dallas. The new twist I heard today was both sides of Colossus would be combined to make the largest woodie anywhere. They normally don't run both sides at the same time, and the combination would make a ride approaching 6 minutes in length. Again, just a rumor and definitely an interesting one...

I've heard this one before and knowing SFMM I would not be surprised if they did this. However, if Colossus was made into one super long coaster I would hope that either the ride is configured to race (and the park operates it that way) or both tracks were significantly different, as doing the same thing twice would be repetitive and somewhat pointless (unless the ride is very, very good). I could also see the park converting the coaster into a non-racer by re-doing one track and completely removing the other, as that would be the cheapest option, but I hope they don't as I think that would do more damage to Colossus than the shoulder harnesses did to Revolution. Either way, we probably won't know until well into next year as Iron Colossus would be ready for 2015 at the earliest.

I was at the Mountain today. Several rides with 1 train operation: Scream, Goliath, Batman that I noticed.

This goes hand in hand with what Screamscape posted way back in April:

Stay tuned as we try to keep up to date on what could be the most important new coaster to ever open at ‘The Mountain’ that could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

^ Yeah I would imagine the publicity of restoring one of the most iconic coasters ever built would be too much to pass up.

Though I also agree that the way SFMM does things is sometimes beyond off putting.

I'm not so sure I would consider Colossus iconic. The Coney Island Cyclone is iconic. Most people outside of LA probably don't even know the ride exists. You could probably tell them it was featured in Vacation or the Step by Step opening, and then they'd say "oh yeah...," but I don't think that counts as iconic.

However, more to the point of the discussion: I wouldn't count on the RMC makeover unless the contract was already signed. The NTAG incident is sure to put a strain on their business relationship, since I am sure both sides (well, their insurance companies & lawyers) will be haggling over who is responsible and pays out what.

This goes hand in hand with what Screamscape posted way back in April:

Stay tuned as we try to keep up to date on what could be the most important new coaster to ever open at ‘The Mountain’ that could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

Hey maybe it'll be that longest coaster that was originally rumored for FullThrottle!

I don't think the issue with Iron Colossus would be with RMC, it would be with the trains. They could easily have another company design the trains like they did with Outlaw Run.

I still say they should do one side original colossus and the other crazy. If that's one track with 2 lift hills, so be it.

Maybe it's me, but I have a bit of a hard time believing that RMC will be able to tolerate how SFMM does business.

I'm talking about how SFMM does its budgeting, bizarre marketing, and generally piss-poor operations. SFOT and SFFT are zero indication of how SFMM runs those aspects of their park.

As long as RMC is paid, I highly doubt that they care how the park operates or markets. RMC is a business and they're objective is to make money. If a park is willing to pay, they are going to be willing to do the work.