TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Why does everything think a wing rider will happen soon? They're nice rides and all, but I'm content with the existing wing rider, X2. In fact, I bet the GP would say that the ride is just a newer version of X2. If B&M starts making 4D coasters, then well...

Something for Hurricane Harbor would be nice though. Maybe they'll do like a Maxair in MM and a water ride in HH, that's be sweet. I don't see them not adding something on the MM side of things.

Honestly, for 2014 I'd really like to see something new for the waterpark. Either an expansion in the old Flashback area or a replacement of the original body slides (Black Snake Summit and Taboo Tower). Something new for SFHH is LONG overdue.

How many WCB's ago was it that they said that they had plans for a HH expansion? That still hasnt happen yet, so its kind of due

I don't see SFMM getting a major attraction next year since they just added Full Throttle this year. If anything, I think they'll get a new flat ride that's unique to Southern California and/or receive a used ride from another park. Instead, I think it would be nice to install something at Hurricane Harbor. I would really like a Proslide Rocket, but even just a copy of the Bonzai Pipeline trapdoor slides would be good. As for Iron Colossus, I'm guessing it will be a 2015 project with the ride closing after Fright Fest this year (the park can promote it as the last time ever to ride Colossus backwards) and hopefully reopening around Memorial Day 2015.

I have not heard any rumors about Jetstream closing and it really wouldn't clear up much space unless Ninja was removed also, plus the park can't afford to lose another water ride without adding a new one. I also don't see the park installing a brand new headliner coaster until it is time to retire one of the current coasters (my guess is Viper is the most likely candidate for retirement), and that is probably still 5-10 years away. Finally, I highly doubt SFMM will ever get a Giga Coaster or a Wing Coaster due to the price tag, at least under current management (I remember hearing they couldn't afford a ride the price of Tatsu anymore ($21 million), and both these coaster types are over $20 million).

Edited by rcdude

Something for the waterpark would be great, and would probably compel me to finally take a day and go to HH, but MM is into adding a new flat but mainly coaster, every year, so I doubt that HH will get many new slides. Especially since it's usually packed there when I go, it seems like people are satisfied with the slides that they have there.

Honestly, for 2014 I'd really like to see something new for the waterpark. Either an expansion in the old Flashback area or a replacement of the original body slides (Black Snake Summit and Taboo Tower). Something new for SFHH is LONG overdue.

Well, that area IS blocked off from the rest of the park, when I was there the same walls that are around the Full Throttle area have blocked this portion of the park. Though small, I can see some stuff for HH going here...

Now this is just a strange idea in my head:

Is YOLOplaza large enough for a water pool in the center? What if a wing coaster soared up through the YOLOcoaster loop and had sort of a splashdown element right in the middle of the plaza, then continued up a hill going across the other side of the plaza?

Now this is just a strange idea in my head:

Is YOLOplaza large enough for a water pool in the center? What if a wing coaster soared up through the YOLOcoaster loop and had sort of a splashdown element right in the middle of the plaza, then continued up a hill going across the other side of the plaza?

I'm sure its large enough, but I think it would be strongly intrude upon the walking area to ride YOLOcoaster. They'd have to have the nearby track and water fenced off from guests.

What ^ said. It's technically large enough but considering that is the only way through that area now (because the path past Flashback is now completely blocked off) I wouldn't anticipate them putting any kind of major element in that area.

I don't think we'll be seeing a new coaster next year but we'll get Iron Colossus in 2015. I just hope they give some notice before Colossus closes since we didn't get any with Log Jammer.

What ^ said. It's technically large enough but considering that is the only way through that area now (because the path past Flashback is now completely blocked off) I wouldn't anticipate them putting any kind of major element in that area.

I don't think we'll be seeing a new coaster next year but we'll get Iron Colossus in 2015. I just hope they give some notice before Colossus closes since we didn't get any with Log Jammer.

I remember now... At one of the WCB's where they toured the old flashback site, I rememeber a caption saying that it might be used for a future HH expansion...

2009 - Terminator

2010 - No coaster

2011- Green Lantern, Road Runners Express (Superman Escape From Krypton)

2012 - No coaster (Drop of Doom)

2013 - Full Throttle.

So going off a pattern, they tend to add new coasters every other year. So I think 2015 is when we will see Iron Colossus.

If SFMM gets anything next year, it most likely will be a small addition.

It would not surprise me if they put off the next big addition until 2016, so they have something new to draw people away from Harry Potter at Universal.

Finally, I highly doubt SFMM will ever get a Giga Coaster or a Wing Coaster due to the price tag, at least under current management (I remember hearing they couldn't afford a ride the price of Tatsu anymore ($21 million), and both these coaster types are over $ik20 million).

Did we ever get a price on Full Throttle? I imagine it was quite a bit more the Superman at Discovery Kingdom (6 million), but I really have no idea. I know everyone is really psyched about Iron Colossus (if it happens I'll be too), but has there been any indication of anything, or is it just pure speculation?

$6 million dollar giga = giga lift hill then 300 ft drop then magnetic brakes. Thats an affordable giga there.

But instead of getting rid of Viper entirely, couldn't a Phantom's revenge type of renovation be done? There is even a sizable hillside it could use for a larger second drop if it went over the X2 walkway and down into that empty grass field north of the ride (hill is not as big or steep as phantom's ravine but some landscaping could be done to the hillside and viper does start almost 30 ft higher than phantom). The ride wouldn't hurt ma brain, the idea seems within budget, and maybe it could give nearly as much or more airtime than phantom's Rev. It be could be renamed as Viper's Revenge, or Viper's Vengeance, or HYPER-VIPER (cuz 200+ ft drop would be a real hyper coaster this time). (I like HYPER-VIPER best)

Finally, I highly doubt SFMM will ever get a Giga Coaster or a Wing Coaster due to the price tag, at least under current management (I remember hearing they couldn't afford a ride the price of Tatsu anymore ($21 million), and both these coaster types are over $ik20 million).

Did we ever get a price on YOLOcoaster? I imagine it was quite a bit more the Superman at Discovery Kingdom (6 million), but I really have no idea. I know everyone is really psyched about Iron Colossus (if it happens I'll be too), but has there been any indication of anything, or is it just pure speculation?

If I can recall I remember reading 6 million $

Edited by PalmTree55

Did we ever get a price on YOLOcoaster? I imagine it was quite a bit more the Superman at Discovery Kingdom (6 million), but I really have no idea. I know everyone is really psyched about Iron Colossus (if it happens I'll be too), but has there been any indication of anything, or is it just pure speculation?

6 million $

How do you know about Full Throttle's cost?

If I can recall I remember reading 6 million $

How do you know about YOLOcoaster's cost?

I read it in an article. I never said that was for sure though.

$6 million dollar giga = giga lift hill then 300 ft drop then magnetic brakes. Thats an affordable giga there.

But instead of getting rid of Viper entirely, couldn't a Phantom's revenge type of renovation be done? There is even a sizable hillside it could use for a larger second drop if it went over the X2 walkway and down into that empty grass field north of the ride (hill is not as big or steep as phantom's ravine but some landscaping could be done to the hillside and viper does start almost 30 ft higher than phantom). The ride wouldn't hurt ma brain, the idea seems within budget, and maybe it could give nearly as much or more airtime than phantom's Rev. It be could be renamed as Viper's Revenge, or Viper's Vengeance, or HYPER-VIPER (cuz 200+ ft drop would be a real hyper coaster this time). (I like HYPER-VIPER best)

Now that could actually kill people because it's so rough.

I had not even considered Six Flags doing a Phantom's Revenge transformation on Viper. That could actually be pretty neat. However, I would rather see Viper demolished and have an Intamin Pre-fabricated wooden coaster on its site. The coaster could be 200 ft, making it the tallest wooden coaster in the world and having that "gimmick" that Magic Mountain seems to search for. Nevertheless, it could be an affordable addition.

Possible Future:

2014 - 400 ft Skyscreamer in place of thrill shot/Hurricane Harbor Bonzai Pipeline addition.

2015 - New Intamin prefab / RMC Colossus treatment

2016 - 40th Anniversary of Revolution Restoration (new trains)

2017 - ???

Would be a shame to see since Colossus is such a classic but, just to avoid the whole debate, that's progress I guess.

And from POVs it looks pretty....dreadful to be honest.

Guess I can at least ride it at WCB, as well as Viper, THEN they can get ride of those classics!

If Viper is as bad as The Great American Scream Machine I have advil ready!

Would be a shame to see since Colossus is such a classic but, just to avoid the whole debate, that's progress I guess.

And from POVs it looks pretty....dreadful to be honest.

Guess I can at least ride it at WCB, as well as Viper, THEN they can get ride of those classics!

If Viper is as bad as The Great American Scream Machine I have advil ready!

Viper is so much more enjoyable than any existing Arrow multilooper. I still love that ride. And I am sure to give it many re rides every time I visit.

Viper is still a great ride..its rough as you'd expect it to be for it's age but nothing like Revolution.

I don't think it's the right time for an Intamin woodie because either it'd be a third woodie or you'd have to completely demo Colossus which I don't agree with, as opposed to an RMC treatment which I think would be a good thing. If Viper was removed I'd like to see a steel coaster in it's place..in my biased opnion Id like to see a giga or similar over there, but I dont think we'd be that lucky.

I really enjoyed Viper. Some of the inversions had some force to it, the airtime gets better the more you come to the front, and its roughness is not like the other arrows. I wouldn't mind a SkyScreamer but Bonzai Pipeline is a good idea. I would want an RMC Iron Horse treatment more than a prefab to keep the layout. Revolution would be better in an Intamin remake (if that is possible). Anybody else have the idea that Goliath might go backwards or have B&M trains?