TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I visited 3 times over the past week after not having been to SFMM since 06. Knowing about the poor operations going in, I had lowered my expectations when visiting the park and had a decent time considering. That said, the operations at Superman today were laughable. Both sides were running (shocker) with the line backed to the split, and there were always 3-5 empty seats per cycle. When I got up to the door, there was a group of 3 in front of me and a group of 2 in the row next to me (4 seats), both next to board. I thought I'd help out and shimmy my way in with that group of 2 to fill the empty seats. I had already consulted with the groups around me to make sure doing that wouldn't mess anyone up, and they were all for it. When the doors finally opened I made my move, but was immediately squashed back by the ride op and told to get back behind the door. Low and behold, those seats stayed empty, along with 1 each in the 2 rows behind them without any care by the ops to fill them (they were too busy chit-chatting and fooling around with each other to realize anyway).

I still had a decent time at SFMM all in all, and not every crew was bad (props to the X2 crew and YOLOcrew especially), but it's such a shame the shoddy operations really put a black mark on what should be a great park. When I do eventually make my way back to SoCal, I'll definitely be spending more time at Disney.

There's no better time to rehab rides than the middle of the busy season! I'm surprised Full Throttle doesn't have a rehab scheduled in a week or two.

Edited by jray21

There's no better time to rehab rides than the middle of the busy season! I'm surprised YOLOcoaster doesn't have a rehab scheduled in a week or two.

Speaking of rehab, I keep walking by the Log Jammer entrance. Does anyone know when the rehab will be finished. It's strange they would have a water ride rehab during the summer.

There's no better time to rehab rides than the middle of the busy season! I'm surprised YOLOcoaster doesn't have a rehab scheduled in a week or two.

Speaking of rehab, I keep walking by the Log Jammer entrance. Does anyone know when the rehab will be finished. It's strange they would have a water ride rehab during the summer.

Yes, Log Jammer is supposed to re-open next week. Perhaps you mean the Rapids? Anyone have any info if that's the case?

Yes, Log Jammer is supposed to re-open next week. Perhaps you mean the Rapids? Anyone have any info if that's the case?

Just being silly. But I wish there was some way to put a modern flume ride in that spot again. Have the flume run right through the middle of the loop.

Just an idea, but do you think the front side of the mountain would be able to support a woodie like boulder dash. A good place to start would be near the roaring rapids area, they could use those game buildings across from the dining area. The lift would somehow need to pass through the Orient express and Tatsu but after that it could take advantage of that large dip that YOLOcoaster sits in. A lot of the pathways through the forests previously occupied by LJ could be used to get the boulder feeling and maybe a path could be carved all the way to where the pirate ship flat is. It would have been really neat if the lake and trees in the FT were preserved for unique effect but that's all gone now (at least this ride would fill the desert/cement area with something). RCDB said that boulder's cost was about 6 million which is on par with the price tag of many recent rides sfmm has added so the ride wouldn't seem too over the top. Any thoughts?

The only way a woodie would conceivably work in that area of the park would probably mean that Revolution was removed. There is room for another steel coaster in that side of the park but probably not a terrain woodie.

I'm still thinking we'll eventually get a Wing rider with a twist right through the middle of Full Throttles loop.

The only way a woodie would conceivably work in that area of the park would probably mean that Revolution was removed. There is room for another steel coaster in that side of the park but probably not a terrain woodie.

I'm still thinking we'll eventually get a Wing rider with a twist right through the middle of Full Throttles loop.

Yeah I think a wing rider is likely just based on SFMM's seeming need to have a little bit of everything, I was a little surprised they went with YC when they announced it instead of a wing rider already.

It's actually the biggest reason I love SFMM so much regardless of the individual merit of a single coaster. The fact that they have more coasters in total is minor, the best part is if you think about it is that they have a Stand-up, a Suspended, a 4D, a ZacSpin, a Floorless, a Flying, an Invert, an Arrow Looper, a Reverse Freefall, a Mine Train, a Hypercoaster...I love the variety.

^

They're still missing their giga though. My hope would be that their next two coasters are a wing coaster and a giga. If that turns out to be true it would be amazing, but I am expecting to see more smaller, lower cost coasters like YOLOcoaster.

I'd love to see a Eurofighter where Deja Vu was. Even though I'd like one like the Smiler I think due to budget and wanting to target toward younger riders a ride like Dare Devil Dive would fit there perfectly. This is what I think the 2014 attraction will be along with maybe a giant Frisbe by Full Throttle (maybe where Flashback was as Burkhart was quoted saying something would go there).

With the rumor of Jet Stream possibly on its way out (I'd assume 2015 as it'd be closed by now for anything in 2014) I could see a wing rider like X-Flight in its place in 2015/16.

If they remove Tidal Wave I could see them using that space plus the space from Freefall to add a water ride like Shoot the Rapids or an aquatrax.

Of course the biggest buzz is Iron Colossus. If they were to do that for 2014 I believe it would be closed by now, so I can see this being a 2015/16 attraction.

For the Giga I'm still rooting for them to remove Viper. I brought this up before and someone said oh they still have parts etc. Viper almost always has a 5 or less minute wait and with that land they could easily put an AMAZING giga there. I dont think anyone would complain replacing Viper with a world class giga. I could see this happening in like 2016/17.