TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On a TOTALLY unrelated subject, while looking for something online I came across these cool videos from the last day of the 99 Steam Train apparently filmed by one of the conductors. The 2nd part of it actually has some nice shots of a VERY bright Colossus as well.

The train lives on at a private residence/animal kennel just a few miles down The Old Road. Along with a bunch of other historical items from SFMM!

This has probably been asked before but this topic has a tendency to add a few pages a day so I might of missed it:

Why on earth did they open this ride without a queue or a covered station in the first place??? Getting behind on construction and getting the coaster up and running is one thing, but what did that have do with putting an effort into the queue line? I can't imagine this had anything to do with Premier turning the ride over to SFMM. I don't know the setup of the area, but couldn't there have been a construction crew working on the station and line while all the details with the coaster itself got worked out?

Maybe they will announce another ride in August that will be built around Yolo?

This has probably been asked before but this topic has a tendency to add a few pages a day so I might of missed it:

Why on earth did they open this ride without a queue or a covered station in the first place??? Getting behind on construction and getting the coaster up and running is one thing, but what did that have do with putting an effort into the queue line? I can't imagine this had anything to do with Premier turning the ride over to SFMM. I don't know the setup of the area, but couldn't there have been a construction crew working on the station and line while all the details with the coaster itself got worked out?

There really is no explanation except, it's Six Flags! And sadly, it's true again!

I just saw a recent POV of Gold Rusher and I have to say that I was disappointed in it as I really enjoyed the fly over of the water. I know, They took out the log flume for the new coaster, But Gold Rusher to me is not the same anymore. The park surely has changed over the last 20 years since my last visit to the park.

^Sunday is the Gold Pass bring a friend free day. Might not be a good idea. Last year it was bring a friend free day for all passholders and it was absolutely SWAMPED. The dirt lot even filled up.

I'm headed over to the parks tomorrow. Hurricane Harbor first in the afternoon and then Magic Mountain until closing. I'll see if anything has been done and if the Riddler's Revenge is actually getting their 3rd train back.

And oh yeah, why don't they just finish the YOLOqueue at night when the park is closed? They could just do a little bit each day. They sure have enough time to put billions of Ads up every night so they must have time to add a real queue.

And oh yeah, why don't they just finish the YOLOqueue at night when the park is closed? They could just do a little bit each day. They sure have enough time to put billions of Ads up every night so they must have time to add a real queue.

Overnight labor cost more $$

And we all know how much the park likes money... It lets them spend on the really important stuff like this.

yolo_5_0_0.thumb.jpg.9770da6bfb802add1a3c05c550e2c416.jpg

I'm sure SFMM could find a contractor who would do it overnight on the cheap. They also could have paid to get it right from the beginning. But this is SFMM, so...I'm sure we'll see an actual queue in 20 years.

Sunday should not be as bad as last year as stated this year it only caters to the "Gold Passes" for the FREE bring a friend.

I'm doing it the easy way by parking at the Mall and taking the Hometown Trolly from the Hyatt at 11:14am arriving closer then the new buses at SFMM, in the guests drop off area at 11:31am and not paying for either the Trolly or Parking at flags as there is no charge for this service.

Plan on leaving Flags at 6:43pm and getting to Hyatt at 6:51pm, I would then do Chick Fil A at mall but Chick is closed on Sundays.

Link For Hometown Trolly Schedule

Had a great day at the park today!

Good news about YOLOqueue! They are drilling some holes for some stanchions! They look to be almost done drilling and are mainly just awaiting the poles. And some fences have been put up around the entrance for a more clear ride entrance.

Another thing I noticed that nobody has commented about yet.... The ride doesn't have an entrance sign!!!!!!

^^ I was curious what that trolley was, I saw that today.

^ Yeah, it looked like the queue was kind of, almost, ready. The station looked the same, as far as I could tell.

Went to the park today, mostly to ride YOLOcoaster for my first time, and convinced a couple non-coaster-nerd coworkers to come with me instead of going on Sunday. Got to the park around 1030 (I was aiming for 945, but I slept in) and things already looked pretty busy (since I haven't visited during the summer in years, I guess anything looks busy). I got my season pass/membership processed within a few minutes, and made it to DC Universe by about 1100 to meet my friends. On the way I saw that YOLOcoaster was advertising a 2hr wait, but everything else looked pretty quiet. It was also already hot, and it only got hotter (it hit at least 95*F).

Since I wasn't hearing from them, I rode Green Lantern, since it looked to be a walk on, and then waited some more. My ride was relatively comfortable (not landing crotch-first always helps), but about as exciting as usual. I don't recall any flipping. Also, they were only loading every other car at this point, which was annoying. After meeting up, we rode Batman, which was also only loading every other train. Again, I get that it was early and not super busy yet, but it just comes off as lazy if the train is on the track, sitting in the station, empty. I had a pretty good ride on Batman, but one of my friends said it was less comfortable than he remembered, and he ended up sitting out Scream later, since I said it was a similar experience (just mostly a lot lamer).

Afterwards we headed down to the bottom and rode Colossus (only the left side was open, but they had two trains at least) and Scream (only one train). Colossus was running very smooth, and I got a few decent pops of air. I'm still hoping it becomes Iron Colossus next year though. Scream was about the same as usual: dirty, a little rattly, and a so-so ride. I still wouldn't mind if they sent it to another park. Also, Lex Luthor was still closed, as expected. Maybe I'll finally get around to riding it during WCB.

My nauseous friend then felt it was time for a break, so we left the park for lunch. We went down the street (the same street that goes to SFMM), and went to a hip, vaguely Korean-ish place called "Rustic Eatery" (I know, incredibly bland, awful name). The meals were mostly plates, sandwiches, or salads with choice of grilled meat (with several nice options, like tri-tip and pork belly), sauce (yakiniku, something that looked like sriracha, or just plain seasoning), and freshly baked bread (rustic sourdough, or french bread). I had a pork belly sandwich with yakiniku sauce on sourdough with the side salad (which was awesome, with a lemon/olive oil dressing), and it was delicious. Highly recommended; I considered coming back for dinner.

Coming back around 130pm we checked X2, which had a sizable queue (the sign said 1hr), then went up to Ninja, which was only about 25 minutes. Had a great ride on that, as usual, then went over to Superman, which was also about a 20 minute wait. Again, lots of fun, I really love the ride since they turned the cars around. Afterwards I bought some sunblock since my skin was broiling, and we went down the hill and around to Goliath, which was about a 30 minute wait. Pretty good ride as usual, lots of air on the airtime hill in the back car, greyed out a bit in the helix.

From there we went to YOLOcoaster, which by now was posting a 30 minute wait, which ended up being pretty accurate. We rode in the back car. Overall, it was better than I expected, though I still wish it was a bit longer. But everyone seemed to love it, and it's a definite addition to my must-ride attractions in the park. The launch was pretty good (extremely quiet) and the loop was really awesome (I know, it's just a loop, but it really was cool) with tons of hangtime (it seems like the train barely makes it through) and an incredible view of the upside-down horizon. The twisty bit afterwards was nice, and the dive loop was pretty fun. The backwards launch into the dive loop was great with the hangtime in the loop, and the tophat had some good airtime. I'd prefer to just enjoy the airtime instead of hitting the brakes during it, but it did give the ride an appropriate sort of YOLO!!! ending (kind of like the ending to Eejanaika, where you face-plant into the brakes.

Afterwards, we made our way to X2, which was posting a 30m wait, and was probably even shorter than that. We waited a bit on the stairs, and then a couple trains in the station. I had a good ride, but after riding Eejanaika a couple times a couple weeks ago, I think I'm going to have to definitively give Eejanaika my nod for preferred 4D coaster (previously I'd say I liked them about equally). All the effects were either off or barely working (music). Plus, Eejanaika has several spots of added flippiness that really make the ride that much more awesome, and both my rides on Eejanaika were much smoother than my last few rides on X2 have been (especially comparing the endings of the two rides, where X2 can be especially brutal on a bad day). Granted, they're very similar rides, the outside seats still probably suck on both, and if you'd only been on either one a couple times before riding the other you'd probably never notice any differences, but the small differences were enough to make me slightly prefer Eejanaika. Plus, being in Japan (albeit, Fuji-Q), just makes it seem that much more special.

So at this point we were mostly done, since the other guys had already ridden Tatsu, Apocalypse, and Goldrusher before I'd arrived, but I mentioned that I wouldn't mind finishing up on Apocalypse, and everyone agreed that it was one of the park's best, so we went over there. After about a 20 minute wait, we got on, and had a great ride in the back of the train. And as a last bonus ride, we decided to hit up Riddler's Revenge. This had at least a 30 minute wait, and the ride seemed to box my ears a lot more than normal (maybe because of how I was riding, I dunno), but everyone else was pretty happy with it. Anyways, we called it a day after this, and left at 7pm, just as Hurricane Harbor was closing.

Random note, I noticed a ton of official yellow-polo'd SF photographers around the park today. Besides the entrance area, there were at least 3 around YOLOcoaster Plaza, and I saw at least 6 or more just wandering around the park. I also saw quite a few stilt walker characters (probably at least 6 characters, only one of which was present in the now ubiquitous "stilt-walker photo"), though it was hard to tell if they were all different people, or if they were just changing costumes all day.