TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Maybe they finally got RRv's 3rd train back?

I was actually wondering about that when we were at Great Adventure the other day - the third Green Lantern train was nowhere to be found. I was hoping it would end up back at Magic Mountain, glad to hear that it very well might have!

I would guess that's what this is, just the third train returning.

^I hope that's sarcasm. The plaza area looked and felt like it was thrown together in 5 minutes. Temporary stage, awning with barricade and rope as the queue, and mostly bad dubstep music (I heard one re-mix I somewhat enjoyed) played over stock extreme sports & roller coaster B-roll footage in slow motion...

I know they wanted to get the ride open and I appreciate that. But I hope they finish it during the slow season and don't leave it this way. I know it's SFMM, but I see no benefit in its current set up.

Yes, Clinks. It was definitely obvious it was thrown together quickly. Bottom line is I'm not a picky person, so none of it detracted from my enjoyment of riding a great roller coaster and eating badass fries.

I agree with this completely. Who gives a crap as long as the ride is enjoyable? No one goes there for anything other than to ride "extreme" coasters. Don't like the music they play? Don't like how the area looks? Don't like the branding? You don't have to go there. When the park starts adding bad coasters (GL? maybe..) I'll have reason to slam the park. I just don't get people who complain when they keep going to the park; if you don't like what you see, don't go back. Most people would probably enjoy the park a lot more if they just accepted the weaknesses and enjoyed the positives, this thread plays out like a bad soap opera.

Edited by dylanreich

^ Totally disagree.

Look at what they did for Green Lantern. While I don't care for the ride very much the DC Universe makeover was great, and still is. Even if I have no desire to ever ride GL:FF again I still get enjoyment over in that area. It brought much needed life to the area and while I never saw anybody really riding the Musik Express or the Round Up before, I see many people riding them now.

Full Throttle is a fun ride, as I've said, probably the best ride in the park. The restaurant and water feature are nice. But once you get into the actual queue, the station, etc it's just half-assed all the way around.

On a TOTALLY unrelated subject, while looking for something online I came across these cool videos from the last day of the 99 Steam Train apparently filmed by one of the conductors. The 2nd part of it actually has some nice shots of a VERY bright Colossus as well.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

^You have some very nice points, especially with the DC Universe makeover. I think the park has actually gotten very good with theming, at least with some of their latest rides (I thought the GL queue was good, and the Lex theming is maybe even better). I think the standards having been slowly but steadily raising for the park and people's expectations weren't met with the YOLO area. Maybe I just wasn't expecting much in the fist place. I just ride the coasters and ignore everything else (this includes being weary of which bathrooms I go too, hehe). I'm really looking forward to 2014 at this point, I have a feeling that whatever new ride or improvements come will make everyone happy.

Green Lantern is the third best coaster for me at Magic Mountain after X2 and Throttle. I really like the rides that throw you around and let you know who's boss.

I remember having a ride back before they added weights to the ride vehicles or whatever they did, when I got put with a heavy-set man with two 9 or 10 year olds on the other side. Six spins in one ride. Wish they'd bring the ride back to opening-day status.

^LOL that's a positive improvement to the park.

I think that there wasn't ANY plan for the plaza...or really for the station for that matter...at least not a well thought out plan. That's why there never were any renderings published of the plaza and station, simply because it probably didnt exist and wasn't planned until the last minute.

^ There wasn't a lot, but in this concept picture there was covering similar to the existing one over the station. Hopefully that will come soon. And maybe a permanent queue. Of course, concept art is never to be trusted ... I mean, look at all those trees ... and two trains in/on the loop!!!

1677387690_FTConcept.jpg.a47c5471047e806e82ad38d0d4699bba.jpg

This has probably been asked before but this topic has a tendency to add a few pages a day so I might of missed it:

Why on earth did they open this ride without a queue or a covered station in the first place??? Getting behind on construction and getting the coaster up and running is one thing, but what did that have do with putting an effort into the queue line? I can't imagine this had anything to do with Premier turning the ride over to SFMM. I don't know the setup of the area, but couldn't there have been a construction crew working on the station and line while all the details with the coaster itself got worked out?

^There you go, trying to be logical. That's exactly why this wasn't done.

I agree with you in that they should have had multiple crews working on different parts of the project. There may have been, but doesn't seem like it based on the delays and how the queue and "YOLOPlaza" appear to be "thrown together."

I would like a pathway from yolo plaza to the back of the park. Moving sidewalks and escalators would be better. And dreaming even bigger, I would prefer a ski lift type ride across.