TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hello TPR people, it has been awhile since I posted something in this forum, but I recently went to Six Flags Magic Mountain this past Saturday, and rode Full Throttle, wow what a adrenline rush, a great ride and addition to the park, love the FT Plaza Zone, very cool, the new hang out area, and group meeting place. I finally rode Green Lantern, Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, and Superman: Escape from Krypton as well since my last visit in 2009. I rode all the coasters but 4, Batman, Goldrusher, X2, and Road Runner Express. I didn't ride any of the water rides, you would think I would since it was so hot, but I managed to ride everything else, and stayed until closing. Live Entertainment in the Full Throttle ZOne was loud and inviting.

I would like to share with everybody some videos I created this past Saturday at the park, there's 5 of them, so I hope you all enjoy them.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Full Throttle Nights Music, Live Entertainment, Drummer/Percussionist/FT Dancers

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Full Throttle Coaster Footage/Queue/Superman Plaza

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

L.A's Party Band Velocity performs in the Full Throttle Plaza Stage area, singing Lady Gaga's Born This Way", Katy Perry's "Fireworks", and I believe a song from Journey "Anyway You Want It", and a fourth song, which you hear all day in line for Full Throttle. The quality isn't the greatest, but at least it's something to watch and hear.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Photo Gallery Video - Over 200+ photos were taken, some erased and some are not in this video.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The following videos feature the following coasters and attractions in brief snippets:

1. Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

2. Green Lantern

3. Full Throttle

4. Gold Rusher

5. Ninja (empty queue only)

6. Tatsu

7. Orient Express

That video gave me an idea on what I am planning to do next time, so hopefully you enjoyed the videos. I had fun at Six Flags on Saturday, so I may be going again later this month or next month.

Bye

_Tim

Finally got my first ride on it today. I mainly went for Hurricane Harbor in the morning, and was just going to see it in operation in the afternoon, figuring the line would be too long. It was down, and the line was well in the temporary area under the main canvas. Ran and got some food, and when I came back, it was just re-opening, and there wasn't any line yet, so I went for it.

They didn't seem to be allowing people to choose seats, but the woman doing the row assignments saw I was alone and let me have the front row. Nothing much I can add to this that people haven't already said: hang in loop is great, ride is short, very smooth. Front was nice, but I'm quite sure back would be way better (which I didn't know because I haven't been following the thread as I was trying to remain as spoiler free as possible). Acceleration doesn't actually feel all that forceful or intense to me... in that department, I still think Xcelerator is way better.

The thing I noticed is the GP's response. They love the ride. And while we enthusiasts are generally "meh" about the backwards launch, I think it's catching most of the GP completely off guard, since you can't see any sign of it from the queue. I can see that if I had no idea it was there (and I did... I didn't stay that spoiler free), I'd be impressed with it too.

Don't get me wrong, I think it helped that the line was short at the time. I don't know if they'd love it as much after a 90 minute wait. But for a 10 minute wait, it was pretty great. Load times are slowly improving. Not great, but getting there. And by the time I got off the ride, the line was still only at the bottom of the ramp, so maybe 15-20 minutes. Left after that, so I don't know if it got longer or not.

Yet, the absolute greatest thing I heard all day was in the line for X2 there were two Hispanic guys behind me, and one was talking to the other about the unusual multitude of Caucasians in the park today. The actual words were "Bro, there are so many white A$$ bitches here today" Only at SFMM!

This is not the first time I have heard this from the same types of people and I agree it is absolutely great.

1. They're aware they're in America where white people live and breed...right?

2. Would love to know what would happen if I being a white person started saying racist stuff right back at them, like "Bro, there are so many hispanic as* b****es here today!" LOL

Yet, the absolute greatest thing I heard all day was in the line for X2 there were two Hispanic guys behind me, and one was talking to the other about the unusual multitude of Caucasians in the park today. The actual words were "Bro, there are so many white A$$ bitches here today" Only at SFMM!

This is not the first time I have heard this from the same types of people and I agree it is absolutely great.

1. They're aware they're in America where white people live and breed...right?

2. Would love to know what would happen if I being a white person started saying racist stuff right back at them, like "Bro, there are so many hispanic as* b****es here today!" LOL

They'd get arrested for a hate crime.

Hey guys! So I'm going to the park tomorrow (Friday, July 5th) and am expecting it to be packed. Just wanted to know though, if I am at the gate when the park opens, what ride should I hit first? My plan of attack before S:EFK, LL and Full Throttle opened was always to hit Goliath first, then work counterclockwise and getting to X2 last. I never once had any problems with that plan, but now that there are three new rides for me to go on, I don't know what to do. Should I hit Full Throttle, then Goliath, LL, and counterclockwise from there?

^^ Also remember that if it's busy, Riddlers, GL, and Lex Luthor will have single rider lines. If you're solo or with one other person those will let you pretty much walk on right past the line no matter how long it is, so you can use that to your advantage to make sure you get in the other rides.

Gotta say I'm intrigued by YOLOcoaster. I wasn't too excited at first but it looks pretty fun. I like the no station look as well. Kinda like Expedition G-Force.

Also, have there been any rollbacks? Looks as though it could happen quite often.

Gotta say I'm intrigued by YOLOcoaster. I wasn't too excited at first but it looks pretty fun. I like the no station look as well. Kinda like Expedition G-Force.

Also, have there been any rollbacks? Looks as though it could happen quite often.

Yes, rollbacks have been a pretty common occurrence from what I've heard.

Oh yes, Rollbacks are occurring every so often.

From what I've seen, it's better to have a Rollback on the first launch (Into the loop) then a Rollback on the third launch (over the tophat) which happens a lot less. I haven't seen a rollback from the third launch but from what I hear it takes a lot longer to get it back.

^ I have not rode it yet, but I was not overly thrilled about it either. But from the reviews it sounds like it fooled me. I certainly wouldnt make the trip all the way out to Cali just to experience it, but along with the other credits in the park I have yet to get, it has certainly enticed me to want go back to the park again as soon as I can. Missouri is a long ways away lol!

So, I do think pretty much everyone agrees that YOLO is overall an excellent addition. It really deserves its status as one of the best coasters in CA, right up there with Xcelerator, Tatsu, S:UF, Gold Striker, and X2. (The last one is a love-it-or-hate-it experience and may not be completely agreed on, but you probably get the point)

However, I do have to bring up one negative about the experience. Am I the only one that did not like the final brakes? I felt like I had been punched in the gut after riding with my hands in the air. On the next ride, I figured out how to ride defensively, by grabbing on to the small handle on the seat in front of me right as the forward jolt began. To me, the brakes detracted quite a bit from the ride, and added an uncomfortable sensation in place of what could have been an excellent moment of airtime.

Am I the only one who has this view?

Exactly. YOLO, nor does any coaster in CA, come close to matching designs such as El Toro, I305, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick, and as much as I hate to say it, Millennium Force. (Yes, I am aware that there are more coasters that should be on this list, but I am just listing the ones I have ridden)

Also, this is not, nor will it ever be, on par with any of the larger multi-launchers. If a person rode this expecting a giant Maverick or Cheetah Hunt, they would be severely disappointed. In fact, this is the main reason the ride announcement was so disappointing in the first place. However, if you board with the mentality that this will be a short, fun ride like Xcelerator, you will have a good time.

My test video contains several (presumably on purpose) rollbacks.

^ That is some sage advice right there. I think I'm going to put that on my tombstone.

For a laugh, check out what I saw on RideHopper the other day. This is a good example of why user generated wait times should always be taken with a grain of salt! See anything wrong with this picture?

1344790416_Untitled-1copy.jpg.f92212cc4d56423edfa67f0aa368587b.jpg

2 hr wait on Goldrusher? LOL.

Just posted on SFMM Facebook:

Attention Honda Drivers: Special treat for you THIS SATURDAY 07/06 at the park! The first 200 Hondas to drive through our parking toll booths will get free general parking courtesy of your helpful SoCal Honda Dealers! It's just one more way they're being helpful.

Got to the park when it opened yesterday, and it was as crowded as I had expected. Riddler and Batman were both running one train and cycling another empty, which I thought was ridiculous. Scream had way more rattle than I remember, Green Lantern wrecked me, and Full Throttle was freaking awesome! Although we rolled back on it going into the airtime hill at the end, so I didn't get to experience it without that interruption. Overall, a solid day, despite the fact that we didn't ride X2 or Tatsu. We were in the park when it opened and left at 5:00pm. This is what we did in that time (all once each):

Goliath

Scream

Colossus

Lex Luthor

Batman

Green Lantern

Riddler

Gold Rusher

Superman

Apocalypse

Full Throttle (posted wait was 90 mins, but it actually ended up being 45)

Can't wait for WCB 2013!