TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just an FYI: having worked in this industry my entire adult life, I can tell you that most high ups are similar to the "ice queen." They walk the park, are friendly to guests who approach them, but are all business otherwise. It's just the way it is. They have so much to do behind the scenes, their walks in the parks are usually kept on a tight schedule.

(Sorry to dig up something from a few pages ago...)

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, Walt Disney would be a huge exception to this rule.

Having also said that, I think it varies a lot park to park and executive to executive.

I am pretty sure Joey was talking about executives from today, lol. Walt Disney passed away over 45 years ago.

I do agree that it varies executive to executive, though, but I feel like most tend to stay in their offices more than roaming their parks.

I am pretty sure Joey was talking about executives from today, lol. Walt Disney passed away over 45 years ago.

I do agree that it varies executive to executive, though, but I feel like most tend to stay in their offices more than roaming their parks.

I know, it's just he (Disney) had a LOT going on and still managed to roam his park regularly, so I think that the excuse of the executives being "too busy" isn't necessarily a good one. And again, I can think of at least a half dozen parks where the executives are regularly found out and roaming their parks.

Just using one example, Matt Ouimet was known for almost constantly being in Disneyland when he was Park President there. Amongst Disneyland fans, the time that he was president is known for the incredible level of attention that was done to sprucing up the park and making it look like new for the 50th Anniversary. He left shortly after this (to go work for Sheraton Hotels in a management role), but returned recently to the amusement world as the CEO of Cedar Fair.

He is a strong advocate of walking the parks, and he estimates that half of his time as Cedar Fair *CEO* is spent walking the parks. Here, check it out:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/cedar_fair_entertainment_cos_new_chief_executive_officer_matt_ouimet_believes_inspiring_guests_and_employees_is_good_for_the_bottom_line.html

I know this is off of the YOLOcoaster topic but today was my first day at MM and I had to say this. The tunnel (or as I'm calling it, The Oven) in the queue for Superman is horribly hot. None of the vents on the wall were blowing any air and this Wisconsin boy was cooking like a chicken. This was the worst part of my experience today, aside from the most terrific amount of line jumping I've seen at any park.

I'm wonder if they are trying to cut expenses. Superman is usually one of my favorites in park because they seem to always blast the A/C in there like crazy. (at least whenever I have walked through the queue)

To be fair, it sounds like the main complaint is that she appears not to be approachable. She's also being unfairly picked on---why is no one in the other park threads talking about park GM sightings (or lack thereof?). Which is why I made my comment. When executives are in the park, it is usually for business purposes. Business can include walking around to make sure things are good, meeting with clients, meetings with management team, etc.

Walt Disney couldn't exactly go incognito in the park, and to a lesser extent that was also true of Matt Ouimet at Disney (because of how rabid the fanbase is).

Edited by Jew

I know this is off of the YOLOcoaster topic but today was my first day at MM and I had to say this. The tunnel (or as I'm calling it, The Oven) in the queue for Superman is horribly hot. None of the vents on the wall were blowing any air and this Wisconsin boy was cooking like a chicken. This was the worst part of my experience today, aside from the most terrific amount of line jumping I've seen at any park.

I'm wonder if they are trying to cut expenses. Superman is usually one of my favorites in park because they seem to always blast the A/C in there like crazy. (at least whenever I have walked through the queue)

Last time I was there the vent right by the tunnel entrance was blasting and it was the only one on. I think it's a mechanical issue that they've been unable or unwilling to fix..cause yeah it gets really nasty in there.

To be fair, it sounds like the main complaint is that she appears not to be approachable. She's also being unfairly picked on---why is no one in the other park threads talking about park GM sightings (or lack thereof?). Which is why I made my comment. When executives are in the park, it is usually for business purposes. Business can include walking around to make sure things are good, meeting with clients, meetings with management team, etc.

Walt Disney couldn't exactly go incognito in the park, and to a lesser extent that was also true of Matt Ouimet at Disney (because of how rabid the fanbase is).

This. I've seen Bonnie walking around the park more than I've ever seen Raffi at Knott's or I ever saw Matt or George at Disneyland. The only times I've ever met any of the DL presidents have been at some kind of "event".

Also, Walt wasn't the President of Disneyland, he was the face of the company in every way. Very different scenario.

Man, I could have sworn I wrote something like this last night, but alas... Try 2:

She's also being unfairly picked on---why is no one in the other park threads talking about park GM sightings (or lack thereof?). Which is why I made my comment.

I agree with you about it being unfair, but I think that she is being picked on specifically because she is being compared to those that were there before her. Jay was out and about constantly, and catered to the enthusiast community. In groups like this, a lot of people saw him as "one of theirs." It would be extremely tough for Bonnie to live up to that.

That's the thing though - I can think of general managers of at least four other parks offhand that I know who are out just as much as Jay was, they just don't generally seek out the enthusiast community when they are out, so they are rarely brought up on message boards like this.

Don't get me wrong - I think that Jay's strategy at the Mountain for talking with enthusiasts and trying to get them back on board was the right one, but he essentially made it nearly impossible for anyone to follow in his footsteps and do as well with the enthusiast community that he tried to cater toward there.

Currently at SFMM. YOLOcoaster, Tatsu, and X2 are all broken down and it's not looking good.

Update: Oriental Express and Lex Luthor are also broken down, but with people stuck inside. This park really kind of sucks.

Well this sums up the thread the last couple years

Currently at SFMM. YOLOcoaster, Tatsu, and X2 are all broken down and it's not looking good.

Update: Oriental Express and Lex Luthor are also broken down, but with people stuck inside. This park really kind of sucks.

Well this sums up the thread the last couple years

heat?

Man, I could have sworn I wrote something like this last night, but alas... Try 2:

She's also being unfairly picked on---why is no one in the other park threads talking about park GM sightings (or lack thereof?). Which is why I made my comment.

I agree with you about it being unfair, but I think that she is being picked on specifically because she is being compared to those that were there before her. Jay was out and about constantly, and catered to the enthusiast community. In groups like this, a lot of people saw him as "one of theirs." It would be extremely tough for Bonnie to live up to that.

Is is really that tough to continue the successful practices of a predecessor who set a good example? No, it is not. I know whenever I started a new job I always made sure to keep constituents happy which what had worked in the past, instead of just stopping a practice because it was not my idea.

Sounds like laziness or jealousy to me.

Is is really that tough to continue the successful practices of a predecessor who set a good example? No, it is not. I know whenever I started a new job I always made sure to keep constituents happy which what had worked in the past, instead of just stopping a practice because it was not my idea.

Sounds like laziness or jealousy to me.

Without seeing the financial statements for Magic Mountain, I can't necessarily tell you if Jays methods were successful or not. Catering to the enthusiast market does not make a park successful.

Sounds like there might have been a power outage/surge.

Honestly, Jay may have set a good example, but I got the feeling no one bought into what he was trying to sell after awhile. I felt like things reverted back to their historical (crappier) levels after his first year.

But lets be honest---until Six Flags decides to invest real money in their employees in the form of real perks/benefits besides free tickets, a better employee cafeteria, pays them more than minimum wage, offers competitive salaries to their management, etc...nothing is going to change. There has to be an actual support system in place for a culture change to succeed. To me, the perception of Bonnie as "the ice queen" is just her conceding the fact she will make no change to the culture because that's not their business model.

A perfect example: the mechanics/electricians responsible for the rides seem to bail on SFMM as soon as there are openings at other theme parks. Because the pay and benefits are FAR less than what they can get at USH or DLR...even after they had to fight hard to unionize 10 years ago.