TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anybody else get a survey today? It was all about using Biometric sensors instead of the current season pass line-up.

I think it's a GREAT idea.

If they do this I hope they have an "opt out" option.

I trust SF's mechanics but I don't trust their data security to safeguard my fingerprints, retina scan, urine test, etc.

I have never had a problem with my SF season pass, biometric surveillance technology is not needed. The photo is sufficient security to keep the pass from being overused. There are a lot of other things they could spend money on to improve their parks instead of this such as a roof over the station of their new coaster.

Call me paranoid, but I don't really want my biometric data anywhere it doesn't have to be (driver's licence, passport etc.), I just have trust issues with large corporations, not that the last week has helped make me less so, but I think they need to have an opt out for those of us that are a little on the cautious side (I'm sure it's a fair percentage).

It's this sort of idiotic response which frustrates me. We travel all over the world and see all this amazing technology in place and its this "dumb, paranoid American" mentality that makes it so we rarely see some of these systems implemented in the US.

And most of the time, it's people that don't even understand, have a clue, or take the short amount of time to try to understand what they are complaining or paranoid about.

Honestly, as a culture, it's embrassing.

And I'm writing this from a train in Japan where I'm surrounded by all sorts of incredible technology we'll never see because of people like you.

Thanks.

Edited by robbalvey

Mascots!!!

BNTPEPfCAAAimMr.jpg:large

This is seriously one of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long, time!

Anybody else get a survey today? It was all about using Biometric sensors instead of the current season pass line-up.

I think it's a GREAT idea.

I also think it's a great idea, and have no problem with RFID, fingerprints, or anything like that. My only concern is that it's SFMM. I could see them getting super cheap ones that worked about as long as the terminator robots did.

^^ I'm jealous of all the cool technology you're surrounded by right now.

Indeed it's sad of all the Technophobes we have here and of all the technological advances we'll never have here (at least until years later) due to peoples' perceptions of technology and their blind love of nostalgia. It's also sad that innovation is being limited due to cost constraints and the lack of short-term profitability. Too many people just think about the short-term only. It's sad that our airports are compared to the Flintstones, while the ones in Asia are compared to the Jetsons, not to mention our lack of high speed rail (what is Amtrak?) and our lack of investing in updating our aging infrastructure. Robb, enjoy Japan while you can.

I have the strangest feeling that MM is getting something big soon that'll literally drop peoples faces, doing all this budget saving. But that's just my imagination.

Ohh yes, I feel it too...but maybe for the 2015 season most likely and possibly in the former Deja Vu spot to liven that area up.

I'm for the Biometric sensors. I didn't like getting my hand stamped when leaving the park. You could barely see the image and I always hope I didn't accidentally wash it off after eating at Wendy's, haha! (Didn't matter cause I have a season pass!) As mentioned, this could eliminate this.

I guess I just don't understand how people who run this park think it is acceptable to open an attraction like this which is obviously underplanned and unfinished. They basically took out a load of landscaped greenery and replaced it all with concrete, and called it a plaza. They then spray painted the concrete which was very Scream-esque in my opinion and its just not the direction I'd like to see from this park.

The coaster itself is awesome. I like the launch, the hang time, and the backwards launch which imo is probably my favorite part of the ride. The cardboard cutouts in the tunnel with the flames is way lame. Almost any aesthetics on this ride you can tell were short budgeted. To not even have a cover over the station with the sun and high temperatures is nothing other than ridiculous.

Wish they would plan better or delay the opening to finish the ride instead of cutting so many things short and not finishing. Because even the untrained eye of the GP sees this stuff, and it just doesn't give a good impression, especially considering this is the presentation of their very new attraction.

This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with this thread. SFMM is anouncing a ride for the summer, manage to open it the first day of Summer(FIRST DAY!). Of course all is not finished, but if the park would have delayed the ride, everyone here would say TYPICAL SFMM and keep on bitching.

Maybe because I am from Europe, but I see all this a little more relaxed. Sometimes parks open there coasters for the fans(like Krake two years ago or Karacho/Trippsdill this year) and add additional theming during the off season.

I dont know what the big deal is, we already know Ozzy Osborne is eventually screaming in the tunnel. It will happen and I think the park is doing pretty good in the past couple of years updating there infrastructure with every new addition.

I guess I just don't understand how people who run this park think it is acceptable to open an attraction like this which is obviously underplanned and unfinished. They basically took out a load of landscaped greenery and replaced it all with concrete, and called it a plaza. They then spray painted the concrete which was very Scream-esque in my opinion and its just not the direction I'd like to see from this park.

The coaster itself is awesome. I like the launch, the hang time, and the backwards launch which imo is probably my favorite part of the ride. The cardboard cutouts in the tunnel with the flames is way lame. Almost any aesthetics on this ride you can tell were short budgeted. To not even have a cover over the station with the sun and high temperatures is nothing other than ridiculous.

Wish they would plan better or delay the opening to finish the ride instead of cutting so many things short and not finishing. Because even the untrained eye of the GP sees this stuff, and it just doesn't give a good impression, especially considering this is the presentation of their very new attraction.

Obviously I just don't understand how the average person thinks they know more about running a park and installing a ride then the people that actually do.

Hey guys remember before we all became super smart awesome enthusiasts and didn't give a s--t about the landscaping/station/mascots/spraypaint surrounding a ride and actually based our opinions of a ride off the ride itself?

Man, what a time that was.

Hey guys remember before we all became super smart awesome enthusiasts and didn't give a s--t about the landscaping/station/mascots/spraypaint surrounding a ride and actually based our opinions of a ride off the ride itself?

No, I don't remember that time...

The website is called THEME park review. Yes, this is a roller coaster website, but people on these forums also appreciate when a ride is THEMEd. It is pretty much a given that THEMEing always makes a ride better, and a lack of THEMEing can lead to some ugly looking rides, such as Scream. Also keep in mind that this replaced Log Jammer, which was already a well-landscaped ride, but, as of now, this ride is not. Granted, that could change, but we are speaking of the condition the ride is in right now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the area looks unfinished...actually, the area seems a bit rushed as it still looks like a construction zone. Yes, I'm all for the ride experience but the area around the ride is important too...keep in mind this is where you will be standing for the next hour before your few minutes of actual riding.

And again since I started a new page, here we go!

BNTPEPfCAAAimMr.jpg:large

dislike.png.bbb49ef54bc9e643ce72dfad4c84fbf7.png

Edited by XYZ

I can live with parks and rides that have no theme to them, but a good theme REALLY enhances a ride/park. I understand SFMM didn't want to delay the opening of Full Throttle, but not having a covered station and temporary queues is pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't think it would cost that much more to at least put in permenant queue lines in time for the opening. I mean, come on, they had money and time to make sure the video of the guy skydiving worked in a queue line with no queues! Running it like this makes it feel "cheap." Oh well.

Edited by DanM64

For me, it has to at least look presentable...not something that appears rushed/thrown together. But I guess it fits with SFMM's theme...(See Scream, seems like an afterthought in my opinion...generic metal shed-like station, parking lot lines...but no need to beat the already beaten dead horse).

On the flipside, SFMM did a nice job with the whole DC Universe area as well as Apocalypse. YOLO's area just feels like something is missing...maybe there's still some finishing touches to be done to the area?

Now, just wait until this area gets vandalized...happened at CGA within 2 days of Gold Striker being open to the public and the queue was already littered with junk...who cares if Joe Schmoe was here? So was I...and the other big trend: Follow my IG @imanidiot I follow back. But I digress. Don't be surprised if these kind of things happen down there...it really detracts from the atmosphere, the area you are spending most of your time.

Well maybe if it was the parks first time with the landscaping problems we wouldnt rip on them. But since they already have two coasters in a parking lot i think we have free justice here.

Still looks like fun! Hang time looks unique!!

#YOLOscaping

Thanks for the POV, the footage looks great.

But yeah, I hope they can get some shade and cooling installed pretty quickly. Heat wave hitting this week in so cal.

I just got back from a reasonably good day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. There were crowds, but they weren't excessive, and a majority of the park was running well.

First off: Full Throttle. I've heard nothing but positive reviews of this ride, so I was expecting it to be better than it looks. It is. The ride's signature 160 ft. loop is easily the best part of the ride. By my estimate, the train is probably moving around 10 miles an hour at the top, and on the ride you feel as if you're going to fall from the train. It isn't the same floating feeling felt on B&M's large loops, but more of a falling sensation. The rest of the ride was very good, and everything seemed to flow nicely together. The only thing I was disappointed in was the lack of airtime over the top hat, but as I doubt it would be a better airtime hill than the one on Goliath that's okay. Overall, I wouldn't say the ride is a top ten coaster or worth traveling some distance just to ride, but I would say it is a must ride when visiting SFMM and one of the top coasters in the park. My wait was 90 minutes due to two minor breakdowns, with posted times of 45-60 minutes throughout the day.

As for the surroundings of the ride, a lot of stuff looks unfinished. The queue is all temporary, the station structure is missing a cover, the hillside is still dirt (and a few saplings), and the tunnel has some equipment for effects but all that's currently working are strobe lights. I am glad the park opened the ride as soon as possible, but I somewhat wish they had waited a week and got anything that couldn't be done while the ride is in operation finished before opening. There was still construction equipment present and they were doing work on the hillside, so at least they are not done and don't intend to leave the area in its current state.

Finally, the nighttime dance party thing (I forget the official name). I walked through the area a couple times while this was going on, and while there were plenty of people about nobody seemed to care about the party. Most of them were just standing around and using their smartphones. I have to question if this is really a good idea, as I can't be the only one who would be driven away from the attraction due to the extremely loud music and it didn't appear anyone was specifically enjoying it.

A few other notes from the day.

The good:

-The park was very good at posting wait times at the entrance to all attractions, and more often than not the line took less time than posted, as operations overall seemed above average for the park.

-Full Throttle operations were about as good as can be expected from the ride. Dispatches were usually within 30 seconds of the other train reaching the holding brakes (for reference, the ride is only about a minute long and it takes approximately 20 seconds for the train to advance from the hold position to the station after a launch).

-It appears a large percentage of visitors are afraid of Lex Luthor, as it never had more than a 15 minute wait. This was the only ride I did twice today, and while not my favorite overall drop ride it still remains the one with the best drop.

-Despite crowds, most of the non-headliner coasters were only station waits.

The not so good:

-Scream is still running one train, and the line was halfway to the entrance. It looked like the other two trains were fully assembled and ready for use, and in any case the park really should plan better to avoid having to run one train during the summer. At least they had a sign warning that only one train was running.

-Apocalypse has gotten really shaky lately, particularly in the second half. It isn't rough in that it's painful, but it does shake you up quite a bit. Hopefully the park will take care of this ride as if they don't it could become quite rough over the next couple years.

-X2 was experiencing major issues and didn't open until mid-afternoon. I didn't end up riding as the wait looked to be close to an hour.

-Even though Superman was testing with both tracks in the morning, they were only running one track later in the day even though the line extended from the building and halfway across the plaza. Due to an average 4 minute cycle time, this turned out to be a 75 minute wait, the longest of the day (excluding Full Throttle). This ride really needs more than two operators in order to achieve any kind of reasonable capacity.

After watching the POV of Full Throttle several times, the best part (to me) looks like that giant loop. Superman Ultimate Flight's rather slow barrel roll at SFDK already provides a freaky experience as you are literally dangling out of our seat...thighs pressing against lapbar...a nice, falling sensation from 150 feet up. I suspect a similar experience on Full Throttle.

I can't really judge the tophat but from the POV it looks like one could get a quick pop of air coming up but remain firmly seated coming back down.

The park just emailed me our Full Throttle on-ride still photos from the media day...

001.jpg.ab9da19379aba8d481df6a0b9436a5e8.jpg

Upside down in the massive YOLOop.

002.jpg.c9f417f9166c7a63c0504c5f2ae430cc.jpg

Coming out of the YOLOop.

003.jpg.8783833bd9f2eadce5470a3320961dc9.jpg

The reverse launch.

004.jpg.5ab65d1f408d1eab556810b3727fd818.jpg

Over the tophat.

005.jpg.c8a3b0a77d6a52857d8b554f06bca9f9.jpg

In the brake run. Thumbs up!