TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Went to Hurricane Harbor today but went over to SFMM about noon to get some more off-ride pics since I didn't get many on Friday. They were dispatching trains about every minute or so. Considering the ride is about a minute this is pretty impressive.

The biggest shock was that they have early entry for Hurricane Harbor. Totally shocked and thrilled. This will serve us well this summer.

SFHH1.thumb.jpg.c8a7708d44086b7f2e6c7db2928b7bb0.jpg

It is butter smooth. Not a rough spot anywhere.

Went to the park and got 1 ride in on FT today just after opening (only a 10 minute wait). Got in line again around 12:15 and there was only an hour wait, but that turned into waiting 2 hours and 30 min. Just to be sent out of line when we would be on the next train. There was a really long delay with the train getting stuck in the tunnel. We did get skip the line passes for Full Throttle to use another day (they now use a computer system and take your name and will give you the passes when at guest relations when you return for your next visit.). Overall great ride. Better than Xcelerator, IMO.

Meh. That is seriously my only response to this coaster.

While the loop looks amazing and fun, the ride just looks...strange. I mean, I get that that launch in the middle was needed to get the train over the lift, but I think the whole tunnel part is really random. A launch like the one on Maverick going up the top hat would have been cool. Also the ride should have continued a little bit after the top hat.

Those stilt walkers made me laugh. Their costumes look like SFMM was trying to rival USH's Transformers and failed miserably.

I could see a Ignite type show going into the area soon. And knowing SF, we will be seeing a brand new coaster for 2014 added that will go right through the loop.

It was SF's way to give SFMM yet ANOTHER record. But hey, I guess it will bring in some more tourists.

While the loop looks amazing and fun, the ride just looks...strange. I mean, I get that that launch in the middle was needed to get the train over the lift, but I think the whole tunnel part is really random. A launch like the one on Maverick going up the top hat would have been cool. Also the ride should have continued a little bit after the top hat.

How many rides did you get on it?

I wonder when SFMM will start releasing Gobig cam videos again about their next big project? I also remember reading on screamscape

4/15/13) According to the latest rumors the Iron Horse treatment for Colossus has been slotted to reopen for 2015, though there is a slight chance it could be pushed back to 2016 if the stars align on another project first. Unlike the quick transformation of Rattler at Fiesta Texas, this is expected to be more of a major overhaul, more along the lines of the lengthy Texas Giant job. This will require the once mighty Colossus to be down for a period of 12-16 months. So for Colossus to be reborn in Spring 2015 it will end up having to close down to begin the project in Late 2013. Stay tuned as we try to keep up to date on what could be the most important new coaster to ever open at ‘The Mountain’ that could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

So if this is indeed the next project, we should be hearing rumors about it closing sometime this year (aka soon) (i guess august like with FT)

^ When I see these rumors I'm more glad that I lucked out and my last ride on Colossus was so butter smooth, I can feel like I got to ride it as originally intended as possible (since the last modifications anyway), and I look forward to seeing what they will do with it.

How many rides did you get on it?

My guess would be zero. IMO it looks like a fun ride and the hang time in the loop seems awesome, plus any coaster with 3 launches is ok in my book. I just wanna see what the landscaping and station look like when completed.

I guess the ride just feels incomplete to me. It looks boring and "industrial." Obviously the landscaping IS incomplete (which is so tacky!), but the coaster "feels" that way to me, too. When I first saw the test videos, I didn't think "oh wow look at all that hang time!" I thought "that's how fast it goes?" I'm not usually a fan of hang time on coasters, but maybe this one will change my mind.

Also, brakes on drops irk me. I disliked that about Kingda Ka when it opened. "It's TTD with an extra bunny hop!...but we brake the train for most of the actual drop."

Meh.

The perception of speed can be very different than the actual experience.

No brakes after the top hat means crash! The number of brake assemblies installed is necessary to quickly and safely stop the train... they have to be there.

Yeah landscaping but until you actually ride it you really have no idea what it is truly like.

Sometimes landscaping takes awhile to fully fill in so I would give the park a break on that one.

From the POVs and photos it looks pretty solid to me, but I'll reserve final judgment until I've had a chance to ride. Definitely a good addition to the park - perhaps not what diehards were hoping for but at least it's not a boomerang (frankly it's impressive that SFMM have so many coasters without a boomerang, Vekoma SLC or wild mouse in sight!).

As for landscaping, plants will take some time to grow into their location - even Disneyland had this problem when it opened!

MINI YOLO TRIP REPORT!!!!

I got to the mountain at about 6:10.

WOW. YOLOplaza has brought a whole new amazing energetic vibe to SFMM. I went to Lex Luthor while my friend processed her season pass.

So anyways,,,,, BACK TO YOLOCOASTER! We got in line and the man said the wait was two hours. I told him i bet it would be an hour. I was right. The line moved super fast thanks to a very good job by the staff. I have to say, that video screen show random stuff that i really don't care about. it should show music videos. So the guy tells me to sit in the back row. WOW. One word to describe it, HANGTIME. My absolute favorite element was going backwards on that b-roll out of the tunnel. I noticed that the beck two rows had red wheels. I believe these are the fast but bumpy wheels. Hope they don't live up to the name. I LOVED YOLOCOASTER!!!!! everyones reaction was super funny. I didn't get a chance to try the food but the wings seemed like a hit! SFMM should really get people who can sing, it hurt to listen to them yell like a dying goat.

To sum it up..... yolocoaster prediction 6.5/10 yolocoaster result 7.5 to 8/10

Glad to see the park so lively at night!!

The L.A.Times liked it aswell. The reviewer summed it up like most of us here:

"I must admit I had low expectations for Full Throttle, but Magic Mountain's newest roller coaster is a book you shouldn’t judge by its cover."

You can read the entire review @ http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-full-throttle-six-flags-magic-mountain-06232013,0,4236262.story

^ When I see these rumors I'm more glad that I lucked out and my last ride on Colossus was so butter smooth.

Colossus is not butter smooth. Colossus has NEVER been butter smooth. The only way Colossus is butter smooth is if you like butter with shards of glass in it.

Pop quiz #2: What's the best way to get down the mountain? A - walk. B - take the Orient Express. C - roll. These kids clearly thought the answer was C, but they were wrong, the answer is B.

ROLLO.

Nice coverage, David. That shirt is priceless.

^ When I see these rumors I'm more glad that I lucked out and my last ride on Colossus was so butter smooth.

Colossus is not butter smooth. Colossus has NEVER been butter smooth. The only way Colossus is butter smooth is if you like butter with shards of glass in it.

I understand why you say that, every other ride Ive ever had on Colossus has been rough (so much so that Ive never really enjoyed it) but Im telling you my last ride was just as smooth as when I rode Gold Striker on the first day. I was shocked and it was amazing..it was like a completely different coaster.

Edited by singemfrc

Yeah, cant say the POV is terribly impressive BUT we all should've learned our lesson after Skyrush (but nah guess we'll keep judging too harshly before hand )

I'm not expecting much, so I can't be let down now! But it could be much better than it seems or a let down. Its doesnt look real forceful, but thats tough to judge (again Skyrush) if this is forceful it may be pretty sweet!

The brakes, who cares? Its after the crest of the hill so if there is AT you'll already have had it. And ya know, gotta slow the thing down : P

Anybody else get a survey today? It was all about using Biometric sensors instead of the current season pass line-up.

I think it's a GREAT idea.

Not yet, and I agree with the biometric sensors, although they don't always work. Many times at Busch Gardens in Tampa, the index finger sensor doesn't always work especially in the warm summer weather. For me the season pass scan has always been reliable.