TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From The Signal (cool picture)...

http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/99096/

Backed by a shower of blue-silver confetti and the opening riff of Europe’s “The Final Countdown” the Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park officially launched the newest addition to the Santa Clarita Valley skyline, dubbed “Full Throttle,” on Friday.

Billed as the world’s tallest looping roller coaster, “Full Throttle” is the 18th coaster at the theme park, according to park President Bonnie Rabjohn.

The dominant feature of “Full Throttle” is its 160-foot loop, the tallest of any roller coaster in the world, according to park officials. Coaster riders are launched through the loop twice during the ride.

The coaster also features a brief portion where riders travel backwards.

“We’re thrilled with this ‘Full Throttle’ experience and we hope you will be too,” Rabjohn said Friday.

“Full Throttle” has been in the works for the past three years, according to Rabjohn, and under construction for about a year.

Full Throttle stands in the area that previously housed, among other things, the Log Jammer water ride that closed in October 2011.

The ride will officially open to the public Saturday.

So, wait, they're actually calling it YOLOcoaster now instead of Full Throttle? Someone shoot them.

Edit - Clicked the link to the real article. I'm wrong.

Edit 2 - Oh, hey, it's a forum-wide auto edit, haha.

Mascots!!!

BNTPEPfCAAAimMr.jpg:large

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAA

AHAHAHAHABVHAHAHDSJDJSLAKDSLDSJLDSDJASLDPOEFJEPFEWFSALJLASDSADSADAAHAHAHAA]AAAA

AHAHDKASHLKDKHSDKHLAHKLASKHLASDHKLSADKHLASDKHKDSHLAHKLDASKHLDKHLAS9WW9DJ;LJSA;JJSAD

ASJHASDHLKSADASLIAASDKLASDHASDKHLASDLHASAHAJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Those costumes would've looked much better had they not put them on the stilts with horrible loose cheap fabric covering them. But since they did, it's freaking hysterical

In the future.....we run out of cheap plastic and resort to cheap black fabric.

I guess the airtime on this thing is supposed to be pretty good according to those that rode it. Glad to see something at SFMM with decent airtime. I feel Full Throtle will be a welcome addition to the park. Can't wait to ride it this fall at WCB.

When you've spent the better part of the past decade traveling the world and riding theme park rides, it's rare for me anymore to discover a truly unique new experience on a ride. And, to be honest, I didn't expect to find one on Six Flags Magic Mountain's Full Throttle, which debuted to local reporters today.

But up at the top of that loop? A moment unlike any other on roller coasters awaits you.

As its name implies, Full Throttle doesn't take its time getting to the action, launching from the station to 70 miles per hour, up and into a 160-foot loop.

And it's in that loop that Full Throttle delivers its take-away moment — a full second (which seems like eternity) of weightless airtime, upside down, lingering at the apex of the loop. Oh, and did I mention that Full Throttle doesn't pin you down with over-the-shoulder restraints? Yep, just a lap bar — and the power of physics — keep you up there for your moment of floating in roller coaster heaven.

Fortunately, the rest of the ride won't waste your time back to the station. The loop transitions through a nifty high-speed banked turn into an Immelmann loop, which then drops you into the old monorail tunnel under the Superman plaza. From there, you launch a second time, backward, up onto the Immelmann for another moment of zero-G airtime, before gravity pulls you back into the tunnel for a third launch, a kick in the pants that drives you up and over the top hat that spans the upper edge of the ride's initial loop.

Another lingering moment of airtime awaits you there, again, before a quick, face-down drop back to the station. It's a sudden stop there -- the only rough moment on what is otherwise a silky-smooth, whisper-quiet ride.

Except for your and the other riders' screams, of course.

Full Throttle runs two trains with 18 riders each, so don't expect high visitor through-put on the coaster. With an active ride time a little over 60 seconds, capacity will be under 1,000 riders per hour, with loading efficiency determining how close to that figure the ride gets. As always with new coasters, get there early, or prepare to wait.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201306/3534/

Sounds GOOD!

Here's a video of some of the opening moments and two on ride videos of the whole ride (please note there is two parts to this video with a cheesy SCV commercial between them - First Part is the Opening and Second Part is the on ride videos)

http://www.signalscv.com/multimedia/1414/

Just a side note, doesn't look like any tunnel special effects like they said or if there is, they're not turned on yet.

When you've spent the better part of the past decade traveling the world and riding theme park rides, it's rare for me anymore to discover a truly unique new experience on a ride. And, to be honest, I didn't expect to find one on Six Flags Magic Mountain's YOLOcoaster, which debuted to local reporters today.

But up at the top of that loop? A moment unlike any other on roller coasters awaits you.

As its name implies, YOLOcoaster doesn't take its time getting to the action, launching from the station to 70 miles per hour, up and into a 160-foot loop.

And it's in that loop that YOLOcoaster delivers its take-away moment — a full second (which seems like eternity) of weightless airtime, upside down, lingering at the apex of the loop. Oh, and did I mention that YOLOcoaster doesn't pin you down with over-the-shoulder restraints? Yep, just a lap bar — and the power of physics — keep you up there for your moment of floating in roller coaster heaven.

Fortunately, the rest of the ride won't waste your time back to the station. The loop transitions through a nifty high-speed banked turn into an Immelmann loop, which then drops you into the old monorail tunnel under the Superman plaza. From there, you launch a second time, backward, up onto the Immelmann for another moment of zero-G airtime, before gravity pulls you back into the tunnel for a third launch, a kick in the pants that drives you up and over the top hat that spans the upper edge of the ride's initial loop.

Another lingering moment of airtime awaits you there, again, before a quick, face-down drop back to the station. It's a sudden stop there -- the only rough moment on what is otherwise a silky-smooth, whisper-quiet ride.

Except for your and the other riders' screams, of course.

YOLOcoaster runs two trains with 18 riders each, so don't expect high visitor through-put on the coaster. With an active ride time a little over 60 seconds, capacity will be under 1,000 riders per hour, with loading efficiency determining how close to that figure the ride gets. As always with new coasters, get there early, or prepare to wait.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201306/3534/

Sounds GOOD!

The loop actually sounds interesting now...wow can't believe I'm now interested in riding this haha.

So this is what a real YOLO looks like.

(In my best National Geographic voice): And here we see 3 YOLOs in their natural environment. Notice the bright plumage on the female in an attempt to secure a mate. Truly fascinating creatures.

(In my best National Geographic voice): And here we see 3 YOLOs in their natural environment. Notice the bright plumage on the female in an attempt to secure a mate. Truly fascinating creatures.

That's awesome!

So, what do they eat, who are their predators..... I have so many questions!

That's awesome!

They eat YOLO riders (think about it, have you actually seen any riders get off the ride?). Their only known predators are deadlines.

That's awesome!

They eat YOLO riders (think about it, have you actually seen any riders get off the ride?). Their only known predators are deadlines.

They must be Yolo-rians from the Yolo-sphere!

I just watched the video of Yolocoaster, and I'll give credit where credit is due. Bonnie's speech emphasized that the creation of this ride was a team effort. That's the first time I heard her give anyone else credit for something. Maybe she has changed. Looks like quite a ride. I'll be there in September for WCB to test it out.

This was my 666th post. I guess now I'm possessed and starting to like her.

Bonnie Rabjohn seems cool! Definitely a lot of energy. Has anyone interacted with her at all?

To be honest, I'm shocked to see such positive early reviews for FT... Now I'm curious to ride it! The hang time in the loop looks like a blast.

I'll also be interested to see whether or not the "high energy," YOLO-themed area is complete yet or not. With the whole certification holdup today, it seems like this opening was really rushed (which I don't get considering the leisurely pace at which this thing was built).

Still, though, my excitement for this ride is tempered by the fact that it only has two trains... The inevitable one train operation seems likely to produce agonizing waits...

Yes, our picture ... keep sharing it!!!!

I thought the ride was a LOT of fun. Is it going to be anybody's "Number One Coaster" ... probably not (unless you've only been to SFMM). Probably not even Top 10 or 20. But it's a REALLY fun ride.

I didn't find it to be very intense at all. The launch is a little less intense than Mr. Freeze probably. It's probably on-par with Poltergeist, Jokers, Jinx, etc. The ride is also VERY quiet. Eerily quiet actually.

The hang-time in the loop ... OMFG. Amazing. My personal favorite element, surprisingly enough, is probably the twist into the tunnel and the backwards launch if you are in the last car. The twist is awesome in there.

And lastly, totally surprising, the brakes are awesome. Seriously. You get a little pop of air over the top and then you hit those brakes and it's crazy. We were all totally shocked about that.

Overall a fun ride, certainly one of the best at the park. But bring your sunscreen. No shade in the station still.

Edited by Sir Clinksalot

I will be going to the midnight event tonight (cant wait). I will try to also provide pics of the whole area and the event. All the reviews I read seem very positive and I will also provide a review tonight or tomorrow morning if I'm too tired once I get home.

Yes, our picture ... keep sharing it!!!!

I thought the ride was a LOT of fun. Is it going to be anybody's "Number One Coaster" ... probably not (unless you've only been to SFMM). Probably not even Top 10 or 20. But it's a REALLY fun ride.

I didn't find it to be very intense at all. The launch is a little less intense than Mr. Freeze probably. It's probably on-par with Poltergeist, Jokers, Jinx, etc. The ride is also VERY quiet. Eerily quiet actually.

The hang-time in the loop ... OMFG. Amazing. My personal favorite element, surprisingly enough, is probably the twist into the tunnel and the backwards launch if you are in the last car. The twist is awesome in there.

And lastly, totally surprising, the brakes are awesome. Seriously. You get a little pop of air over the top and then you hit those brakes and it's crazy. We were all totally shocked about that.

Overall a fun ride, certainly one of the best at the park. But bring your sunscreen. No shade in the station still.

What about the tunnel? Anything going on in there or is anything coming?