TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really fail to see why people are giving a damn about this whole "sideways camera" fiasco. The video is serviceable to me at the very least and shows that the ride is testing. It wasn't made to do anything else.

The trains do look a little slow, but remember the construction for Kingda Ka? For the longest time that thing could barely make it up the spire, and now it's giving out mild ejector air in the front and back seats. I know FT has a different launching system, but my point is simply this: Pretty much all launching coasters speed up by the opening day. I'm not worried about it at all.

And people are still complaining about SFMM having no airtime? There's always way more to that when it comes to coasters. And if you really don't see much else in them, there's always the back seat of Apocalypse waiting for you.

^Because nobody watches anything in 9x16. And as a professional PR person, they should know this. "Hey, I have this whole screen available to me...I guess I'll only use 2/3 of it trying to promote my new ride!"

^Because nobody watches anything in 9x16. And as a professional PR person, they should know this. "Hey, I have this whole screen available to me...I guess I'll only use 2/3 of it trying to promote my new ride!"

"Crystal clear full screen HD? Nah, I only want to promote this new ride with a small, grainy image."

I for one could care less how it was shot. The main focus is we finally got a glimpse of FT testing, albeit a short one but the cameraman followed the train thru and we can see the coaster in relation to the loop. Nice job! Can't wait to see more videos, professional or not.

I guess some of our posters sum up the SFMM Experience..."I don't need anything great or well done, just give me whatever".

If consumers demand more, they'll get it. If we all just sit back and say "Oh well, it's a vertical video, YOLO!" then that's what we'll continue to get!

I for one could care less how it was shot. The main focus is we finally got a glimpse of FT testing,
I really fail to see why people are giving a damn about this whole "sideways camera" fiasco. The video is serviceable to me at the very least and shows that the ride is testing. It wasn't made to do anything else.

In additional to what Elissa said perfectly above, I expect an amateur looking video from some random twelve year old kid that goes to the park that knows nothing about filming video. I expect at *LEAST* a video shot in the correct aspect ratio from the #5 largest theme park company in the world.

What your post tells the park is "I'm ok with mediocrity" and it's embarrassing to me that anyone on our forums would actually think this video is "acceptable."

Six Flags saw 25 million people attend their parks last year. Don't tell me that can't afford to hire someone that is somewhat competent to shoot an 11 second video and not make it look like ass.

--Robb "You know I'm right..." Alvey

EDIT! I fixed the video...

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=awful_video2_3af2[/coastertube]

I didn't even notice at first that it was uploaded in standard definition. My iPhone takes 1080p HD by default. I honestly think it takes MORE effort to make these kinds of mistakes that it does just to do things right.

Edited by robbalvey

That's probably because its an 11 second video that only a fraction of a fraction of their attended population will end up watching let along caring about. It's not a very impressive clip and even if it was shot by James Cameron in Mega IMAX-5D widescreen from a helicopter I still probably would have only watched it once. If they had hired a professional camera crew we'd all be outraged about what a waste of money it was and they should have spent it on some other mundane nuance like repainting that little square on S in the superman plaza. Put me in the "this will suffice" category.

Let's nor forget that when the park wants to do it right, they

Now would someone please go to the park and take a video so we can move on to actually discussing the ride instead of this nonsense?

^

What is there to discuss about the ride? It launches into a loop, enters a tunnel, reverse launches, falls forward, and launches again over the top of the loop and into the breaks. There's nothing to talk about the ride other than it's a one trick pony.

You must be new here. We managed to burn up a good 2 pages just yammering about the video being sideways, you don't think this group has the ability to turn out a good 5 pages discussing launch speed or ride sound or braking dynamics? HA. Believe me there will be endless speculation and armchair physics calculations coming very shortly...

(and don't think I didn't see what you did there )

Edited by willthethrill

^

What is there to discuss about the ride? It launches into a loop, enters a tunnel, reverse launches, falls forward, and launches again over the top of the loop and into the breaks. There's nothing to talk about the ride other than it's a one trick pony.

^TWO Tricks actually... world's tallest loop, and word's first top hat over the the top of a loop...

^^What bugs me is that it doesn't take any additional effort to shoot a video in 16x9 - just turn the phone sideways. Doesn't cost more, take any more time or need more expertise. I mean, if the park is going to go to the trouble of uploading the video, why not film it properly?

No one should EVER complain about Six Flags Magic Mountain... EVAR!!!

If what they produce is "good enough" for you - then I'm happy you're satisfied.

--Robb "I have nothing more to say." Alvey

Looking at the newer (I mean that in a side-grading manner, not better or worse) video reminds me of the first "airtime" hill on Wild Thing. Airtime on the way down in the back seat, airtime on the way up in the front seat, and barely anything in the middle.

I hope I'm wrong, but from the way you can predict forces on rides, I don't think SFMM is going to let the ride get much faster as to not scare away some of their audience with "extreme forces" like we saw with the "softer wheels" debate over on the Hersheypark thread a while ago.

Weirdly enough, this actually makes me more excited about this ride! If what I'm saying is true (keep in mind that I could be wrong), then the ride is going to have a much better re-ridable quality.

I guess some of our posters sum up the SFMM Experience..."I don't need anything great or well done, just give me whatever".

If consumers demand more, they'll get it. If we all just sit back and say "Oh well, it's a vertical video, YOLO!" then that's what we'll continue to get!

Six Flags is really trying hard to attract this hip and edgy "yolo" demographic that has so much money to spend at their park.