TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So I am going to SFMM soon. It will definitely be on weekdays. I will go for 2.5 to 3 days, and we are hoping to hit most or all coasters. There is a VERY low chance I will get a Flash Pass, so that goes out the window. I was able to ride every roller coaster at SFOG besides Canyon Blaster and Ninja (Ninja was broken the whole time and Canyon Blaster was down most of the time), but I've heard horror stories about bad operations at SFMM, not to mention the size of the park. Any tips for a SF passholder?

Two things:

1. Do we know if that is the actual full speed?

2. It's 2013. WHY THE HELL IS THERE PR PEOPLE FILMING VIDEO VERTICALLY ON THEIR PHONE?!?!?!?!?

I just asked them on twitter. Since this video was released by SFMM, would we get any answers by calling them, or if enough people ask them via twitter?

2. It's 2013. WHY THE HELL IS THERE PR PEOPLE FILMING VIDEO VERTICALLY ON THEIR PHONE?!?!?!?!?

HAHAHA! I recently caught myself doing that at Mount Olympus. I had been taking vertical pictures of Hades' first drop, then switched to video and forgot I was still holding the phone vertically. It is annoying, isn't it!?

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

So I am going to SFMM soon. It will definitely be on weekdays. I will go for 2.5 to 3 days, and we are hoping to hit most or all coasters. There is a VERY low chance I will get a Flash Pass, so that goes out the window. I was able to ride every roller coaster at SFOG besides Canyon Blaster and Ninja (Ninja was broken the whole time and Canyon Blaster was down most of the time), but I've heard horror stories about bad operations at SFMM, not to mention the size of the park. Any tips for a SF passholder?

Well, since all the kids are out for summer...weekdays would be your best bet. You should be able to ride everything in one day but since you'll be going for at least 2 days, you should be good.

It seems like the speed is faster in the promo video right? So im guessing its not full speed

They also make it seem like you're gonna go 150 mph through the loop and like a bat outta hell through the third launch. That's mostly editing, but I'm going to make the assumption that its not running full speed. Who knows?

There's no way in hell that's full speed. The first test runs are always the slowest by design, it will be much faster by opening.

Gold Striker at CGA was just the same way..when they released the POV from the first test run in mid April, it seemed to just mosey through the course at a slow speed and looked boring. When they finished testing and I got on it, it was running like a bat out of hell.

Relax everyone, its the FIRST time it ran, im sure it wont be too much faster but it certainly shouldn't crawl over like that. How small the train is on it is amazing, a massive loop indeed.

And hey if it does crawl over, nobody should be disappointed its still a unique quick ride, and remember SFMM = No

The video is terrible, but won't bitching at SFMM on Twitter and Facebook just give them reason to NEVER release anything?

There is a way to give feedback in a polite and constructive way; it can be a very good thing which people are usually open to hearing.

Getting away from soft and cuddly a bit, here is a nice PSA on vertical videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

The video is terrible, but won't bitching at SFMM on Twitter and Facebook just give them reason to NEVER release anything?

Absolutely. I am no way suggesting ANYONE on here do that. In fact, that might be a reason to get banned from here if you chose to do that.

However, this forum is exact that--a forum. So feel free to critique them on here!

None of us should be surprised that the park released a vertical video...seriously!

The park doesn't get us and doesn't get social media at all. They're trying to appeal to a younger demographic and they should figure this stuff out!

^It's terrible. Which is exactly why SFMM's PR department (who are known to be not so internet savvy) would do it.

Yea this has to stop. They should be more conscience about their efforts. I'm also sensing missed opportunities to help boost their followers on social media.

Yikes just saw Tatsu on Insane Coaster Wars World Domination and It looks horribly faded. I wonder if they have paints that will hold up much better. Ninja, Viper, Goliath and Batman's paint jobs seem to be holding up well. Even here in Vegas we are starting to notice a lot of the buildings starting to fade as well.

There's no way in hell that's full speed. The first test runs are always the slowest by design, it will be much faster by opening.

Gold Striker at CGA was just the same way..when they released the POV from the first test run in mid April, it seemed to just mosey through the course at a slow speed and looked boring. When they finished testing and I got on it, it was running like a bat out of hell.

What you are describing here is a train getting broken in. A new train straight from the factory is going to run moderately slower than say, one with 500+ cycles on it. That's just how these trains behave, especially when you're talking about wheels with brand new bearings in them. However, this has nothing to do with how the ride is designed, but rather the behavior of brand new components in the vehicles. There is a very good reason why some companies like B&M and Intamin install Nylon wheels on their vehicles at the start of testing, and slowly swap them out with urethane wheels until they achieve the speeds they are looking for. Nylon wheels have a significantly lower rolling friction associated with them than urethane wheels, so using them helps with a new train running slower at the start of testing. It does not look like Full Throttle has any nylon wheels on its vehicles.

Another big factor is the amount of weight in the vehicle. From the looks of it, only the front car is loaded with dummies, amounting to about 1000 pounds in load. Higher loaded trains typically run faster due to several reasons, one major one being air drag. As an object's mass increases, the effects of air drag reduce. It's also a lot harder to stop a moving vehicle when it has a large mass due to inertia/momentum. Put another 2000 pounds of dummies in that vehicle and I guarantee it will be running faster. From personal experience, you are much more likely to valley a roller coaster with an empty train than a fully loaded one.

^ It is.

As for the speed of the launch, I'm guessing this is out of the tunnel from a stopped position not from the backwards launch and having momentum going in the 3rd launch so it "may" be faster than the video is showing.

As for the vertical video, I really have no comment.