TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Oh, I thought that it works with the gold and higher flashpasses.

I've used both platinum and gold, and the gold got me on everything in one day

He's talking about X2. You have to have the platinum flash pass and then pay the upcharge to skip the line for X2. When you pick up your flash pass in the morning you can purchase the X2 tickets which would be for a specific time, but unless an event unexpectedly packs the park you probably wont need it. Tuesday night there is a grad night event, so it may get busy towards the end of the day when they start showing up. (which is one of the reasons I'm going on Monday)

You can save your cash and hit X2 either first thing in the morning or in the afternoon. The crews on X2 are always among the fastest in the park so by the afternoon the initial rush dies down and the line gets shorter.

Here's your best tip regarding use of flash passes and getting everything done in one day - check the list of flash pass rides at the beginning of the day and if there is anything that isnt using flash pass that is also only running one train (like Apocalypse and Scream), hit those rides first. They will rotate which rides use flash pass..last time I was there Riddlers' had only one train and wasn't doing flash pass so I had a pretty long wait.

someone texted me and said there is a fire near/at SFMM?

It could be this, in Camarillo: http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=780

Name: Springs Fire

County: Ventura County

Location: Southbound Highway 101 at Camarillo Springs Road, Camarillo

Administrative Unit: Ventura County Fire/CAL FIRE

Status/Notes: 24,251 acres - 96% contained

Full containment expected later today.

Date Started: May 2, 2013 7:01 am

Last update: May 6, 2013 7:00 pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering, what is the best plan of attack at SFMM if I want to hit all of the coasters in one day? It has been about 5 or 7 years since I was at the park. Also, when does YOLO Coaster open? I am visiting the park somewhere between May 19th and May 23.

The order I liked was: Tatsu, GL, Batman, Colossus, Scream!, Goliath, Riddler, Goldrusher (worth skipping if the park is busy), Apocalypse, Superman, Ninja, Viper, Revolution and X2.

I found this to work well as you can get an early ride on either Tatsu or X2 before the crowds build up, and then you can get some quick rides on the older rides in the north and west before the majority of people have make their way over after riding the more popular coasters. Obviously you'd want to get their early to ride it before the line gets even longer!

I just don't understand how the park is justifying only having two trains when one will have to be out of service for a good period of each year.

Depending on the manufacturer specifications, a train may not need a complete rebuild for awhile (3-5 years). Regular maintenance can be done when the park is closed.

My educated guess would be that SFMM falls behind on regular maintenance (IIRC, they only have 2 or 3 people in their cycle shop), which is what causes trains to have to stay offline for so long.

Edited by Jew