TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Haha did they really mention a Dr Who attraction? I can imagine the Six Flags executives conversation.

"Harry Potter at Universal is popular. The character is also from England."

"We need a British thing, that will be popular too!"

Weird, when I took the survey there was no mention of Dr. Who. I got Scooby, Looney Tunes characters, Jack Sparrow, Nemo and Geico Gecko.

Haha did they really mention a Dr Who attraction? I can imagine the Six Flags executives conversation.

"Harry Potter at Universal is popular. The character is also from England."

"We need a British thing, that will be popular too!"

The show does have a massive following here in the States.

No it doesn't. Small but vocal maybe.

You'd be surprised. However, I really can't see a Doctor Who ride at an SFI park.

^ Dr. Who get's about 5.5 million per week. Which is good for cable, is not really great overall. Granted, Dr. Who is getting a LOT of new fans because of Netflix.

As Wes said, it has a large loyal fanbase which doesn't even come close to network shows or even The Walking Dead, Mad Men or Game of Thrones. And I'm a huge fan of the show.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/04/14/doctor-who-cold-war-overnight-ratings-2/

^ Dr. Who get's about 5.5 million per week. Which is good for cable, is not really great overall. Granted, Dr. Who is getting a LOT of new fans because of Netflix.

As Wes said, it has a large loyal fanbase which doesn't even come close to network shows or even The Walking Dead, Mad Men or Game of Thrones. And I'm a huge fan of the show.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/04/14/doctor-who-cold-war-overnight-ratings-2/

Um that 5.5 million viewers figure is IN ENGLAND.

BBC America had 1.6 million viewers http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/05/doctor-who-ratings/

To put that in perspective, a rerun of Family Guy on Adult Swim nets 2.5-3 million viewers nightly.

Am I the only one who is dying for a Gieco Gecko themed ride, like they asked about? haha

This sounds like one of the worst ideas ever. So I'm sure it will be a 2014 edition.

Though if it was a shooting dark ride, and you could gun down the gecko and that annoying Progressive insurance woman in super slow motion, then it might be ok.

dt

Ok, I may get some hater's with this...

I finally made it to the park for the first time.... Honestly, its the worst Six Flags park I have ever been to. Coaster wise it was pretty good - I absolutely love Tatsu (now my favorite lay down coaster). The park is very dirty - there was trash every where. Also almost all of the flower beds needed to be weeded badly. To me it seems they have a lot of free standing dwellings that are just decaying away and it looks tacky. The first coaster we rode was Ninja - waiting at the end before going back into the station to the left you can see what appears to be some sort of open arena/old station/something that is falling apart and all grown over. Then towards that back there is a station from an old ride - appeared to be some sort of train or monorail - and its in terrible condition. Riding Apocalypse you can see the area where Deja Vu used to be and its terrible with the weeds and old station still standing there. We joked that it added to the theme of Apocalypse .

Every building and ride (minus Green Lantern) looks old, faded, and worn down. So much is in need of a paint job there. Yet they are building a brand new coaster. Something does not match there in my eyes. Speaking of the coasters. It seems they are getting coasters now just to keep their image up of having a lot of coasters. To me everything there besides Tatsu is forgettable. Nothing really stands out. Now that could be different if X2 was actually running when I was there.

Overall to me the park just seems worn down but yet has a lot of potential. Right now the park seems like it appeals to people who could not care less what it looks like because they are there to just ride coasters. It is basically what Six Flags America looked like 3-4 years ago. I know almost every one here does not like SFA but its my home park and actually looks awesome now that they have a completely new management team there.

Every building and ride (minus Green Lantern) looks old, faded, and worn down. So much is in need of a paint job there. Yet they are building a brand new coaster. Something does not match there in my eyes.

At least YOLO isn't old, faded, and worn down yet. That's progress, right?

I will give them credit where deserved and say I am glad they do not enforce the locker policy. I am confused why the company put all these lockers in at all their parks to make money and now only enforce it at Great Adventure and Discovery Kingdom.

Stay tuned as we try to keep up to date on what could be the most important new coaster to ever open at ‘The Mountain’ that could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

Wow, that's quite a prediction. I wonder what they might tell us at WCB...

^ Probably something about not being able to confirm or deny rumors
Edited by Jerome

The conditions of some of the buildings is one of my biggest pet peeve's with the park. But I disagree that GL is the only one that's decent looking. Batman got some work a few years ago, Goliath's station isn't bad. Colossus and Revolution still look decent and Viper also looks good.

The worst queue lines are certainly Scream and Ninja.

As for the Ninja station, you are correct, that was the station for the Dragon. The other station is down near Jet Stream. And yes, you can still see some track going up the last hill on Ninja.

A couple of buildings recently got new roofs, but I'm very disappointed that the bathroom rehabs didn't get completed a few years ago. The front two bathrooms (near Revolution and across from the fountain) are absolutely horrid. I don't use those unless I have no other choice.

As for the coasters, there are probably 5 or 6 coasters I'll ride on a consistent basis (Ninja, Superman, Gold Rusher, Batman, Colossus, Goliath). The rest are just "once in awhile" and a few are almost never (Viper, Revolution, Riddlers, Scream).

^Agree, and I think Riddlers' needs to be on the list with Scream and Ninja. It looks like no one has so much as taken a duster or broom to that building in years..on my last visit it was the only one that stuck out to me as being dirty and worn down (Worth noting that I skipped Ninja and Scream was a walk on so I didnt have time to look).

Also LLDOD being new still looks fresh, unless we're only talking purely coasters.

I really wish they would paint Scream and Tatsu. They're the two most visible coasters (other than Colossus) and I think when you first pull up and see those coasters faded it gives that first impression.

Ok, I may get some hater's with this...

I finally made it to the park for the first time.... Honestly, its the worst Six Flags park I have ever been to. Coaster wise it was pretty good - I absolutely love Tatsu (now my favorite lay down coaster). The park is very dirty - there was trash every where. Also almost all of the flower beds needed to be weeded badly. To me it seems they have a lot of free standing dwellings that are just decaying away and it looks tacky. The first coaster we rode was Ninja - waiting at the end before going back into the station to the left you can see what appears to be some sort of open arena/old station/something that is falling apart and all grown over. Then towards that back there is a station from an old ride - appeared to be some sort of train or monorail - and its in terrible condition. Riding Apocalypse you can see the area where Deja Vu used to be and its terrible with the weeds and old station still standing there. We joked that it added to the theme of Apocalypse .

Every building and ride (minus Green Lantern) looks old, faded, and worn down. So much is in need of a paint job there. Yet they are building a brand new coaster. Something does not match there in my eyes. Speaking of the coasters. It seems they are getting coasters now just to keep their image up of having a lot of coasters. To me everything there besides Tatsu is forgettable. Nothing really stands out. Now that could be different if X2 was actually running when I was there.

Overall to me the park just seems worn down but yet has a lot of potential. Right now the park seems like it appeals to people who could not care less what it looks like because they are there to just ride coasters. It is basically what Six Flags America looked like 3-4 years ago. I know almost every one here does not like SFA but its my home park and actually looks awesome now that they have a completely new management team there.

Thank you for this... SFMM might be in the early stages of making the mistake SFA did. SFA in its early 99/2000s got a complete package... 2 coasters in 1999, a coaster in 2000, and a coaster in 2001. In that 3 year period it neglected pretty much everything else. Cleanliness, work ethic, all behind the scenes type stuff fell to the side and the park. Yes SFMM is a park with cool rides ..... but if it can put in new ride every year then they have no excuse to not go all out on infrastructure improvements. Re-investment does not necessarily mean adding a new ride. They should take an off year in 2014, let Full Throttle and Lex Luthor marketing hold the park over through 2014 (give Huricane Harbor some attention) and focus on all around upgrades.

Thank you everyone who has not bashing me for my feelings on the park. I just think it has so much potential and there is so much they could to make it a much more enjoyable experience. I will admit I had a good time but it just really hit me when I saw the condition of the park. I guess going to Disney from open to close the day before did not help with my image of a Six Flags park either

Side note: Does anyone know why some Six Flags stopped enforcing the bag policy? I love that they did because I am a bad carrier and helps greatly.

Riding Apocalypse you can see the area where Deja Vu used to be and its terrible with the weeds and old station still standing there.

Your other observations are completely valid, but even I'll defend the park on this particular one. It's an area walled off to guests that is likely to be torn up for a new ride---I don't really fault them for leaving it as is for now.

I too would have to disagree with GL being the only non-faded coaster. If I'm not mistaken, Viper, Revolution, Goliath, Ninja, Batman, X2, and S:EFK have all received fresh paint within the last few years. While some have already started to fade, I wouldn't say they've neglected that aspect. Of course there are a few coasters that could use a fresher upper. On the other hand, I haven't been to the park in a couple years so perhaps it's gotten worse with time.

The conditions of some of the buildings is one of my biggest pet peeve's with the park. But I disagree that GL is the only one that's decent looking. Batman got some work a few years ago, Goliath's station isn't bad. Colossus and Revolution still look decent and Viper also looks good.

The worst queue lines are certainly Scream and Ninja.

As for the Ninja station, you are correct, that was the station for the Dragon. The other station is down near Jet Stream. And yes, you can still see some track going up the last hill on Ninja.

A couple of buildings recently got new roofs, but I'm very disappointed that the bathroom rehabs didn't get completed a few years ago. The front two bathrooms (near Revolution and across from the fountain) are absolutely horrid. I don't use those unless I have no other choice.

As for the coasters, there are probably 5 or 6 coasters I'll ride on a consistent basis (Ninja, Superman, Gold Rusher, Batman, Colossus, Goliath). The rest are just "once in awhile" and a few are almost never (Viper, Revolution, Riddlers, Scream).

Sir Clicks I agree with you. I think the buildings need some love and maybe a makeover too. I have written to park mgmt asking to spend some money on paint and building work, bathroom work, repainting the pavement in the DC comic area and Superman logo. How about instead of building record breakers, take 2 years off new coasters build and give my park some love. I think Batman, RR, Scream and Tatsu can become upgraded with some faux buildings. I have drawings with the buildings and what affects can be added….

Batman; Paint it all black, with black and purple trains (no grey)! Add Gotham city buildings with some lighting effects. Alter the queue area and start up that fan in the tunnel. Add some vents in the stairway to blow out some of that funky smell.

Scream; give it a whole new color scheme (black columns, dark red track and the trains black, grey and yellow) turn it into a DC Comic character. Or give it a mechanic industrial them. Cover up the parking lot with black top, and install some old abandon metal pieces.

RR; Paint it same colors because having the trains darker than the tracks is sad. Give it some additional theming, landscaping and tree trimming.

Goliath; landscaping and cut some of that freaking bamboo down, it is getting a bit ridiculous!

Tatsu; Paint that big ol’beast the same colors and put in some Chinese buildings and maybe a nice big dragon by the pretzel loop looking at you with steam coming out of its mouth.

Revolution; REMOVE THOSE OTSR! Hell if Montezuma can run with a seatbelt and a lap bar. Then so could Revo…..

These are just the few things I really really would love to see MM do to improve my park. Hell I would even go with my tools and landscape for them……..

RJ

^ I like the new colors of Batman personally.

I think repainting Scream and Tatsu would need to take priority over all of those. I'd also love it if they got new trains on Revolution and Gold Rusher (allowing GR to go back to a 42" height requirement).

I would honestly LOVE to see the park shut down from Fright Fest to Spring Break and do a complete repainting/rehabbing of all of the buildings on site. I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a few months of the park being open and not getting a new coaster if that was going to happen. Unfortunately that's a minority position and it's not going to bring any people into the park the way a new coaster will.

^ As great as that would be. Ya, no. They'll probably build yet another gimmicky coaster on top of a parking lot and let everything continue to rot. All the history and culture will just go to dust. As sad as it is that is, it seems to be the Six Flags business plan for most of their parks.

^ I like the new colors of Batman personally.

I think repainting Scream and Tatsu would need to take priority over all of those. I'd also love it if they got new trains on Revolution and Gold Rusher (allowing GR to go back to a 42" height requirement).

I would honestly LOVE to see the park shut down from Fright Fest to Spring Break and do a complete repainting/rehabbing of all of the buildings on site. I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a few months of the park being open and not getting a new coaster if that was going to happen. Unfortunately that's a minority position and it's not going to bring any people into the park the way a new coaster will.

That would be great if they closed the mountain down after Labor day and have a Easter reopening. If the public were to see the love going into this park they would be happy. Then comes opening day, i know they would come and check it out. Park mgmt really needs to voice this to corp office. I want to see this park restored to it's once glory.