TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The bottom half isn't what matters when it comes to airtime.

It does if you're talking about lessening the sustained airtime. Just look at Kingda Ka's speed hill that has brakes on it.

To clarify, the bottom half having brakes on it or not doesn't matter when it comes to airtime, but you're right that where the bottom half starts (along with speed, forces, and other things) defines how long the airtime is sustained. And by bottom half, I mean the point where the angle of descent starts to decrease.

It does if you're talking about lessening the sustained airtime. Just look at Kingda Ka's speed hill that has brakes on it.

Yup, and I think Full Throttle's Top Hat is going to be exactly the same as Kingda Ka's or Goliath's "Airtime hill".

Yup, and I think YOLOcoaster's Top Hat is going to be exactly the same as Kingda Ka's or Goliath's "Airtime hill".

I remember seeing it's air time listed as around 1.25. But don't quote me on that. The loop is at listed as 160 ft. That's loop size not just the height of a loop off the ground. So even though some loops are higher off the ground. They are just loops that have a higher starting point off the ground, like Viper.

^If I can safely take "airtime" in sarcastic quotation marks, I actually got a really decent chunk of floater on Goliath my last time at SFMM last October.

Floater is not airtime. Floater is like having a non-alcoholic beer. It tastes like beer, sort of, but its not the real thing.

I don't see the airtime being as "jarring/ejector" or as sudden as it's cousin in the bay area (Superman, referring to our local Premier coaster as its cousin) but do see some nice, graceful airtime (butt out of seat, sustained air as you crest), if not at the very least the "floater sensation/tummy tingles." Having ridden Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK (16 times now, planning on riding it more this season as I have my SFDK pass), and it completely surprising me, I have faith in YOLOcoaster being something nice...though I think I still may favor S:UF over it in the long run.

^If I can safely take "airtime" in sarcastic quotation marks, I actually got a really decent chunk of floater on Goliath my last time at SFMM last October.

Floater is not airtime. Floater is like having a non-alcoholic beer. It tastes like beer, sort of, but its not the real thing.

SUF= Coors N/A

NTAG = Samuel Adams Utopias

It was a nice day at the park and the loop is more than halfway finished! And to answer the long question, about half the drop after going over the top hat has been constructed, and there are brakes all the way up that bottom half. Sorry folks, but it looks like there may not be much airtime.

The brakes will start on the piece of track that fits in between those two connections at the top of the tower in your picture. This is where the two separate pieces of track come together into one piece. Just by looking at that, I'd have to say there will be more than enough airtime on this hill. As for the forces and whether it will floater or ejector air, I guess you'll just have to wait and see. My bet is that it will be very similar to Superman Ultimate Flight's airtime.

How do you guys compare the so far results of Full Throttle to Gatekeeper?

P.S. i am not trying to start a CP vs SFMM debate, i just thought it would make a great topic about new 2013 attractions, if i am in the wrong i am very sorry, after all i am new to this place.

SFMM posted a picture of Viper and the caption "Stay in the LOOP....BIG news this week!". Everybody assumes it's Full Throttle (it is) but the best comment so far:

"The second half of Full Throttle is going to be announced?" I hope the person is a member of TPR.

Sometimes the internet is full of awesome.

SFMM posted a picture of Viper and the caption "Stay in the LOOP....BIG news this week!". Everybody assumes it's YOLOcoaster (it is) but the best comment so far:

"The second half of YOLOcoaster is going to be announced?" I hope the person is a member of TPR.

How many of them said "loop will be finished?"

SFMM posted a picture of Viper and the caption "Stay in the LOOP....BIG news this week!". Everybody assumes it's YOLOcoaster (it is) but the best comment so far:

"The second half of YOLOcoaster is going to be announced?" I hope the person is a member of TPR.

Haha yeah I saw that comment too, had me busting up

While it IS funny - I do want to say that I hope the person isn't a TPR member... here's why - these kinds of jokes and humor are fine on TPR, because that's what TPR is all about, but I honestly don't think it's appropriate to write that on an official park page.

TPR humor belongs on TPR - Meaning on the website, forum, our FB page, a TPR event, etc.... the same jokes don't always carry over to other places, and it may come off as insulting or obnoxious.

Thanks for hearing me out!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey