TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ When I took that SFMM survey last year when they asked what would you like to see in the tunnel, I put some sort of near miss dead end, forcing the car to reverse. We'll see what they come up with.

Something I would like to see implemented would be a set of doors in the tunnel, so that you hit the brakes and stop right before the doors only to get launched backwards, have the doors open, and then continue through the tunnel into the yoloop.

Something I noticed on the SFMM Full Throttle press release page...perhaps I'm a bit behind but their promo video seems a bit different...the definition of YOLO is still present but the whole YOLO acronym appears to have been removed. I wonder how SFMM feels about us calling it Full Throttle

Update: Word filter strikes again, in the URL... be sure to replace full throttle with full (hyphen) throttle in the URL.

I definitely think it's awkward and weird. I also brought up that I could see that element going away in the future to reduce costs on the ride, but Joey said that that likely won't be an issue because the energy consumption of the ride is much lower than other energy hogs in the park.

If anything, that feature will be removed if/when it causes too much downtime. I see it being a problem for that reason...definitely not for energy consumption

I definitely think it's awkward and weird. I also brought up that I could see that element going away in the future to reduce costs on the ride, but Joey said that that likely won't be an issue because the energy consumption of the ride is much lower than other energy hogs in the park.

I completely agree. I think the stop, reverse launch kills the pacing that the ride has, and although the ride time would be shorter, it would feel more intense if it just increased speed instead.

Does anyone else think the reverse launch seems pointless and kind of awkward?

Yes.

And I've heard of the horrid load times at SF:MM? If so, seems like a bad idea.

Anyone know if it'll stop, and launch the third time, that'd be crazy awkward. Hopefully it auto launches in the tunnel after it falls back forward.

Yeah what they^ said, it'd kill the pace totally.

Backwards launches are kind of pointless in my opinion unless its the highlight if the ride, like Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast. It's key element is a backwards launch. Yolocoasters isn't necessary, it's just kind of there. It would be cooler of it just blasted right through the tunnel, it kind of kills the ride experience to slow the ride down to a complete stop when it's easier to give the ride an extra boost. It would probably increase capacity a tad too, not by much though.

If anything, that feature will be removed if/when it causes too much downtime. I see it being a problem for that reason...definitely not for energy consumption

I'm not sure how the reverse launch would cause any down time. If Premier uses the Prolim LSMs as Brakes in conjunction with a Flywheel Inverter, full throttle will be able to operate completely off the grid during operation, like Wicked does at Lagoon.

-Sid

I would much rather have an intense forward launch than a crappy pointless backwards launch. Maybe if they slowed it down, backed it up to the beginning of the launch track, and then launched it from there. I just hate all the pointless launches on coasters lately. Intamin is doing the same thing, are there even any plans to build a hydraulic launch in the next couple years?

I'm not sure how the reverse launch would cause any down time. If Premier uses the Prolim LSMs as Brakes in conjunction with a Flywheel Inverter, YOLOcoaster will be able to operate completely off the grid during operation, like Wicked does at Lagoon.

If that's the case, bring on the backwards launch.

Sometimes the needs and wants of the park don't match the needs and wants of the enthusiasts.

I would much rather have an intense forward launch than a crappy pointless backwards launch.

That's right! I mean, you can't help thinking that the reason why the backwards launch exists is the fact that the ride is too short and they try to make it seem longer. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to full throttle and I think it will be a rather good ride, it's just that i find it a bit unnecessary to have this backwards launch when they could launch the train straight away instead of stopping it and sending riders backwards.

I know this might sound a bit unnecessary but we wouldn't be coaster enthusiasts if we didn't look at all these details.

Looks great though. I can't wait to see the loop construction.

The backwards launch on Mr Freeze reverse blast is by far more intense than its former forward facing one, however I feel that Yolo's backwards launch is going to be weak considering it only sends you halfway into the half loop. (I wonder how tall the half loop is). The backward launch would have been much better if it sent the train all the way through the half loop dive back, through the twist turn and half way up the giant loop instead. Then fall forward and blast through the tunnel.

The backwards launch on Mr Freeze reverse blast is by far more intense than its former forward facing one, however I feel that Yolo's backwards launch is going to be weak considering it only sends you halfway into the half loop. (I wonder how tall the half loop is). The backward launch would have been much better if it sent the train all the way through the half loop dive back, through the twist turn and half way up the giant loop instead. Then fall forward and blast through the tunnel.

The laws of physics kinda prevent this from being a realistic scenario. When the train falls from 160 feet, it has enough energy to make it to the second launch. If you cut that height in half, there's no guarantee the train can make it back to the launch again considering that entire section is at an upward slope. Honestly that's just asking for a train to get valleyed.

I do like the backward launch on S:UF at SFDK. It reminds me on hitting the back spike on Montezuma's Revenge at Knott's, but most launches aren't fast and forceful enough.

I agree, the backward launch on S:UF at SFDK is amazing and quite forceful. It delivers strong positive G's as you go vertical and then in the back seat at least (row 6) you get some very nice airtime at the top of the non-invertered loop. I think the layout of the dive loop and twist on YOLOCoaster is very similar to the non-inverted loop and should deliver similar forces. I don't know why people are saying it will be pointless; if Premier can match or exceed what they did with S:UF this will be one of the highlights of the ride, at least for me.

Does anyone else think the reverse launch seems pointless and kind of awkward?

It's actually very necessary, as the second launch also act as a block.

If the train has to do an emergency stop on the second launch, and the re-launch, it simply would not gain enough speed to make it back to the station without the backwards launch.

If they wanted to do the ride without the backwards launch, they would have had to gone with another design of the ride (twice the length of the second launch).