TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The "Got UR Back" shop...close enough to the Swag shop, no?

My thoughts on YOLO: It looks pretty amazing...nuts, airtime, etc. My only complaint is how another family ride/non coaster bites the dust/makes way to SFMM history, and the ending (in my opinion, *ducks*) seems rather weak...brake run after the possible OMFG airtime sensation the ride should deliver, I would have hoped that there would have been a little more turns/hills to finish it off rather than cutting it off 'so soon' as I like to describe it.

Now that I have a Six Flags pass, I have a feeling that besides my run down to SFMM next month (speaking of, we added an extra SFMM day on our SoCal arrival day since we're passing it anyway), another trip later in the year could pop up...maybe after the YOLOhype chillax's and such (yes, I'm going to talk trendy in this thread for now on, bro).

^I agree with you completely. I don't think any of us were disappointing with what the ride delivers, its just kind of a shame to not use any of that potential from the worlds FIRST 160 foot camelback. A couple of turns afterward would have been nice. But, that being said, most really cool launch coasters are short anyway, and in comparison to Xcelerator, Ka, or Dragster, this one is actually quite a bit longer and has more to it.

The new themed area, however, is a different story. I have to wonder if this will have any appeal given the crowd that typically visits SFMM. I could see it going over well, but I could also see it being completely ignored. Either way, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call one ride, a shop, and a couple of food stands a themed area, but then again that's all Rapids Camp Crossing is.

A lot of SFMM's infrastructure is horribly outdated from opening, so any opportunity to build newer venues is good for the park even if it bombs with guests.

A lot of SFMM's infrastructure is horribly outdated from opening, so any opportunity to build newer venues is good for the park even if it bombs with guests.

I'm with you. Everything in the park seems so dated. Any type of improvement is a plus for the park as a whole.

The two things I'm still hoping for yet is for some ejector air on the top hat and no OTSRs. I'd be very pleased.
Well it's SFMM so never rule anything out, but being that it is Premier I would be shocked if there were OTSRs. The kind of lap/shin bars they use on SUF at SFDK pretty much eliminate the need for OTSRs on any coaster type currently conceived as far as I can tell.

I thought all along Yolo would have lap-bars!? Guess it could still be up in the air...but like someone said above, i think shin and lap bars will work on this one

FT's trains will have the lapbar/shin bar combination like all the current Premier Rides trains. Not sure where the rumor started that it would have OTSRs, but it's not true.

Even if it wasn't confirmed...Premier has been moving away from OTSRs ever since they retrofitted Flight of Fear, Mr. Freeze, etc.

More importantly, that dive into the tunnel looks awesome! I wonder how far the back car will come up on the reverse launch?

I definitely think it's awkward and weird. I also brought up that I could see that element going away in the future to reduce costs on the ride, but Joey said that that likely won't be an issue because the energy consumption of the ride is much lower than other energy hogs in the park.

That being said, I think the backwards launch thing would be a million times cooler if there was some kind of thematic element to it, like a mist screen in front of the track showing an animation that would warrant the car wanting to reverse. Like, "Oh crap! A yolo monster! Lets reverse the hell outta here!" I know that won't happen, but I think it would certainly complete the bizarre experience.

I figured out the YOLO! If your a lucky rider, the backwards launch will launch you all the way back through the dive, and all the way down to the bottom of the loop!

That might actually be kind of cool (except for the fact you would be stuck) wonder if that would even be possible. I know with the launch system im sure it launches at almost the exact same speed everytime.

What would really make sense and live up to Yolocoaster's old name, is if they put a mist screen in the tunnel and project a concrete wall on it. So when you complete the dive, you have to stop to prevent the train from crashing into it, it then would back out to gain momentum, and bash through the wall! This, of course, is probably way to complicated for Magic Mountain and way to themed for them to even think of this.

Edited by rustyinpeace

^ When I took that SFMM survey last year when they asked what would you like to see in the tunnel, I put some sort of near miss dead end, forcing the car to reverse. We'll see what they come up with.

I think I remember that on another ride, but there was no reverse and the obstruction moved out of the way just in time. It was a coaster, but I couldn't tell you which.