TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

One cool thing about this new ride is it's hard to tell what height things are (Revolution was famous for that!). I'm just wondering what height the top of the dive loop (or flying lizard roll or whatever it is) is. And the heights relative to each other. You know your a real coaster geek when... For example, they always said Revolution's loop was 90', but the loop itself is only around 53' (the standard Schwarzkopf loop vertical diameter) but it's up on a pedestal, and the pedestal is already up the hill a bit. Then of course, you wonder how everything relates to the 114' tall lift hill, and how high up is the station, and how big are the drops? Yeah, total nerd stuff.

For existing coasters like Revolution or nemesis, you can always find NL recreations and just level out the terrain to find everything.

But dunno for this particular one

For existing coasters like Revolution or nemesis, you can always find NL recreations and just level out the terrain to find everything.

I love NL and fellow coaster nerds work, but accuracy to the real thing is another topic. Some are close, some are far, and some we have no clue. We can estimate and study, but who knows the real accuracy.

I have to wonder if this thing will have LSMs part way up the loop (similar to how Superman has LSMs part way up the tower), and if so how far. The launch seems so short that it might need a little extra to get all the way over the loop. I hate to say it, but it looks like SFMM is building a pretty decent ride. I just hope they don't find a way to screw it up like most the other rides they have.

^ I think the LSMs will go partially up the loop. Like you said the launch track is rather short so it will be necessary. If you look closely at Full throttle's official video you'll see that they do go up part of the loop.

As I said in the Full Throttle update the new 2013 maps are out and they give a real good indication of what's in this new 5 acre Full Throttle area.

2120310015_teft0N2NH5CdKERtLee0bSC4(Copy).thumb.jpg.c77287b951b359e03c0faf4e4f54468e.jpg

Front of the 2013 map and guide

2146210429_IMG_2757(Copy).JPG.9758a63fb10a83678a58e3c0c4e16c5d.JPG

Overview of the new area which includes new entertainment, new shops, two new food locations, FullThrottle games, and the entrance to Full Throttle but sadly no other rides

2058247786_FXPhotoStudio_image(Copy).jpg.f29cc29535809e747cc1abdadf8b05ba.jpg

New entertainment in Full Throttle's area

1311565803_20130317_113423(Copy).jpg.2a179a9074b66b4ae299da821962bf7d.jpg

Number 43 is the new entertainment and number 24 is the entrance to Full Throttle

1238062381_20130317_113629(Copy).jpg.48b2b6cce40a1744dc74f993e3cfe9db.jpg

Full Throttle

149423652_20130317_113731(Copy).jpg.2d14465fab13b9cc03cdf2c828a67005.jpg

New game

1249752686_IMG_2746(Copy).JPG.4156f4102ce0b07a3c546226edd473e4.JPG

New place to shop

580818473_IMG_2748(Copy).JPG.462d9144797977a0a56b4abb208657e4.JPG

Two new food locations in the Full Throttle area as well as some freestyle Coke machines

1262058535_20130317_115019-1(1)(Copy).jpg.9405ddc16290a57dcd97664973402d75.jpg

Number 36 FullThrottle games

Number 75 new shopping location

Number 64 new food location High Octane Wings

Number 65 new food location Loaded Dogs

^

Can't wait to see what hip phrases will show up next! I really hope corporate realizes how bad those are, and how it totally brings down the brand, even thought its already near the bottom.

This shot makes the ride look incredible. I'm hoping that the next time I get back out to California I'll be able to go back to Magic Mountain again. Between this, Green Lantern and Superman, it appears I'll have enough reason to return for the first time in a few years.

I hate to say it, but it looks like SFMM is building a pretty decent ride. I just hope they don't find a way to screw it up like most the other rides they have.

That may be asking a lot, I agree though, it's starting to look pretty cool.

It's funny how the general consensus seems to have gone from "most disappointing coaster of 2013" to "this actually looks decent" once the ride started coming together. Yes, it's short, but plenty of highly rated launch coasters have track lengths less than 3000 ft. No, I don't think it will be the best coaster at SFMM, but in my experience Premier has yet to disappoint and I don't see this being the ride to do it.

The new themed area, however, is a different story. I have to wonder if this will have any appeal given the crowd that typically visits SFMM. I could see it going over well, but I could also see it being completely ignored. Either way, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call one ride, a shop, and a couple of food stands a themed area, but then again that's all Rapids Camp Crossing is.

It's funny how the general consensus seems to have gone from "most disappointing coaster of 2013" to "this actually looks decent" once the ride started coming together.

I find that funny as well. I feel most of us enthusiasts were not disappointed with the ride itself, but more the ignored potential of such a plot of land and the overall feel that this could have been so much more (see Helix at Liseberg). But for what it is, it could be quite a fun powerful (and short) coaster.

The two things I'm still hoping for yet is for some ejector air on the top hat and no OTSRs. I'd be very pleased.

It's funny how the general consensus seems to have gone from "most disappointing coaster of 2013" to "this actually looks decent" once the ride started coming together. Yes, it's short, but plenty of highly rated launch coasters have track lengths less than 3000 ft. No, I don't think it will be the best coaster at SFMM, but in my experience Premier has yet to disappoint and I don't see this being the ride to do it.

I felt that way too, one of those cases where I see something for the first time and I just go all "Meh", but after a while it grew on me. Also, I reread SFMM's preview article for YOLOcoaster, and this caught my eye:

You’ll then shoot up and over the outside of the World Record loop, where you’ll experience significant air time and a breath-taking view of the park as you drop back down to Earth, rapidly decelerating and taking the final 180-degree turn to the left, returning to the station where you can catch your breath.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope that the top hat will do what's advertised! Airtime or not, it looks to be a fun, smooth ride with a good "fly through the woods" feel in the first half. Looking forward to hitting it up at WCB this September.

I'm still laughing over "Got UR back", pretty clever.

Yet, it did seem like there was a mindset that SFMM would screw this one up. So far, it seems like they are doing an amazing job, everything about it is pleasing and fits into the area. Now, we just have to see how it rides.

With it being St. Patrick's Day and the day of the LA marathon I decided to stop by the park to get my gold pass for the year thinking attendance would be low.

I arrived around 11am and found that though the parking lot was only full up to the E section, there was over an hour wait for season pass processing. So I decided to get the pass on my way out of the park and I went inside directly to Lex Luthor, the only ride there that I didn't hit up last season because every time I visited last year it was either still under construction or down to technical difficulties.

I get in line with only a 15min wait and immediately Lex Luthor broke down. So I sighed and headed over Green Lantern. It was running fine, sadly no spinning, but at least I didn't get a blood rush headache from hitting the station breaks while upside-down.

I checked in on Lex Luther; it was still out of commission so I headed for Goliath and almost immediately got on the ride. I was right that the park would probably be empty. After Goliath I went back over and passed Luther; it was testing, but still down according to the employee at the entrance.

I walked down to Colossus knowing that I should probably hit that one up this year since it might soon be getting a RMC refurb if the rumors are true. To my surprise I got the smoothest ride I had ever gotten on my life on Colossus. I was in the front seat of the last car and I'd have to day the first drop was as smooth as an Intamin Prefab woodie! Though the ride moved slow through it's course it wasn't much shakier than the first drop and I have to say I was impressed by how SFMM is treating it this year.

Lex Luther still was sending up empty cars so I headed over to Scream which had only one train running which made for the longest wait of the day. Only SFMM ride ops would somehow figure out a way to make it seem like they are stacking a ride with one train. God they moved slow, I'm not sure if it was because of dilly dallying guests or if it was just after the Ops's lunch and they were in the middle of a "Carb Coma" as my friends call it.

Scream was running fine, nothing spectacular and it still had a small amount of rattle. Now that I have finally been to Great Adventure I can say that Medusa/Bizzarro is definitely the better ride and I can't figure out why Scream is so average (apart from the lack of themeing).

Lex Luthor was open finally with a 45 minute wait, of course the moment I stepped in line it broke down again. Oh well, I just came to get my pass and can come back later this year. Though I'm beginning to think I am cursed and will never be able to enjoy the ride. As I left the park I walked by Lex's station and the cars looked like they were stuck 10 to 15 feet above the ground with people in them.

On my way out the season pass line has shrunk to a 20 minute wait and I had it in my hand at 1:30.

Overall a typical short visit to SFMM with some ride breakdowns and super surprising ride on a much smoother-than-I-remember Colossus. The coaster still didn't have much airtime, but at least it treated its riders kindly.

It's funny how the general consensus seems to have gone from "most disappointing coaster of 2013" to "this actually looks decent" once the ride started coming together.

I find that funny as well. I feel most of us enthusiasts were not disappointed with the ride itself, but more the ignored potential of such a plot of land and the overall feel that this could have been so much more (see Helix at Liseberg). But for what it is, it could be quite a fun powerful (and short) coaster.

The two things I'm still hoping for yet is for some ejector air on the top hat and no OTSRs. I'd be very pleased.

Those were my exact thoughts as well. Disappointed at what it could have been, but still think it'll be a decent ride.

Edited by jray21