TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ I'm assuming it has to do with clearance. You'll notice that the the "old style" ties have a dip in the middle to accommodate the hardware underneath the train and the "new style" triangular ties are flat. When the train is making a steep drop they have to have that notch so the hardware doesn't collide with the track I believe.

*Completely non-professional opinion so I could be wrong.

If you look at the track, as soon as it switches back to circular spine it starts using the old ties again but it uses the new style on the three ties surrounding support connectors in order to facilitate diagonal braces between the ties that are used on both track styles to distribute the stress loading.

Does it matter which type of track is where? You want this to work right when you ride it don't you?

Its not an issue of why they will or won't "commit" to a certain track style but more of an engineering reason as to what track type is where.... which only Premier knows.

A friend of mine, who works for Intermountain Lift, told me they fabricate track and uprights according to the plans they get from the structural engineers. Ties, Spines, and Rails are determined by the structural engineers and the low profile ties are used where hardware needs to be installed in the track or where hardware mounted to the chassis could impact the ties. Rutin, Intamin's upright and track fabricator in Hungary, fabricates track with low profile ties as well.

-Sid

Does it matter which type of track is where? You want this to work right when you ride it don't you?

There's a lot of engineering-minded folks around here that are interested in why things are built the way they are. It doesn't matter to you, but we think it's interesting.

Thanks for your explanation linearinduction!

Maybe but that doesnt explain why it changes here (at the end of the track)-

EDIT-

So suddenly premier decided to only use their traditional track ties on this?

http://cache.rcdb.com/gp03597o9af00002go7jhv.jpg

During the Hard Hat Tour I asked Tim that exact question and he said it was because of clearance in the tunnel. I'm just assuming they are using the same track for the remainder of the straight section of track after the launch out of the tunnel. Could be flat outside of the tunnel due to that still being part of the launch? I mean they do have to launch it enough to get over the "First Ever 160 Foot Top Hat".

I knew that they used the double spine before, but I was more referencing the random changes between the triangular ties with the bar connecting the rails, and the traditional flat ties.

like this-

https://www.multivu.com/assets/55677/photos/Superman-Ultimate-Flight-upside-down-twist-original.jpg?1341005464

vs this-

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7512415970_37dfb1beac_z.jpg

I feel like it would be so much more tedious to place 3 bars connecting the rails than one flat piece. It just strange that they dont commit fully to either tie..

I haven't logged on for quite sometime, but I had to comment how odd it is to be browsing a Magic Mountain thread and see a photo of mine from Flickr of Discovery Kingdom. It's been a while since I have posted photos on TPR!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to riding Magic's latest Xtreme, tallest, fastest, thrillest, YOLOest coaster. Glad to see the Metro tunnel repurposed as well.

During the Hard Hat Tour I asked Tim that exact question and he said it was because of clearance in the tunnel. I'm just assuming they are using the same track for the remainder of the straight section of track after the launch out of the tunnel. Could be flat outside of the tunnel due to that still being part of the launch? I mean they do have to launch it enough to get over the "First Ever 160 Foot Top Hat".

For clarification, we're talking about the track in the foreground where it switches from the older style track with smaller spine and thinner ties to the larger newer Premier style.

I was always under the assumption that the way the ties are set up are due to the amount of stress it's going to take on. Where it goes from the newer triangular setup to the traditional flat/thin ties, is that the track leading up to the Superman Plaza flyover? Could it be that it's taking on more forces leading up to that element? Looks like it gradually makes changes from traditional to the triangular setup, and then to the double spine. Just my 2-cents.

A friend of mine, who works for Intermountain Lift, told me they fabricate track and uprights according to the plans they get from the structural engineers. Ties, Spines, and Rails are determined by the structural engineers and the low profile ties are used where hardware needs to be installed in the track or where hardware mounted to the chassis could impact the ties. Rutin, Intamin's upright and track fabricator in Hungary, fabricates track with low profile ties as well.

-Sid

Now I know! Thanks for the insight.

I'm always happy to share nerdy info! lol There should have been track that was delivered this past Monday as well and everything is on schedule to be delivered by the end of the month, but I think that's common knowledge. Intermountain Lift should be working on Lagoon's new for 2015 "Mega Coaster" over the summer as well.

-Sid

I was always under the assumption that the way the ties are set up are due to the amount of stress it's going to take on. Where it goes from the newer triangular setup to the traditional flat/thin ties, is that the track leading up to the Superman Plaza flyover? Could it be that it's taking on more forces leading up to that element? Looks like it gradually makes changes from traditional to the triangular setup, and then to the double spine. Just my 2-cents.

The larger spine carries more load without deflecting, so it requires less support. Note the difference in support for Intamin's 2/3/4-rail track sections - less rails, less bulky, less space between supports. The large spine was used on S:UF at Discovery Kingdom for the roll at the top so that it could be essentially unsupported. The large spine here allows the train to make its run over the Superman plaza with only a single support having to be in the path, and then it helps to carry the load through the snake dive so that some complex support structure isn't necessary to be built on that side of the hill, which is pretty steep.

Sidenote, don't come yelling at me about being a Junior Engineer. I'm a structural engineering junior and I choose to believe that college has taught me *something* over the last three years. (Better have, with all the money I pay these people.)

^cuz Im obsessed. Plus I thought skyrocket looked hideous in every way so I am happy to see them reverting to some traditional styles.

It looked hideous because of the ties it used? Seriously, do people really care that much about what the track looks like when they ride a coaster? Just curious.

^cuz Im obsessed. Plus I thought skyrocket looked hideous in every way so I am happy to see them reverting to some traditional styles.

It looked hideous because of the ties it used? Seriously, do people really care that much about what the track looks like when they ride a coaster? Just curious.

In all honesty dude. Do you really think the general pubic cares about much of what we say? We are here for a reason. If people what to post on a roller coaster subject. Please let them.

I was mostly commenting on the fact that OP negged a ride based on the type of ties it uses. I just found it odd that of all things to talk negative about a ride is the one thing that has very little effect on the ride experience itself. Not sure where I mentioned anything about the general public though.

I was mostly commenting on the fact that OP negged a ride based on the type of ties it uses. I just found it odd that of all things to talk negative about a ride is the one thing that has very little effect on the ride experience itself. Not sure where I mentioned anything about the general public though.

I'm sorry I misread your post. I hadn't had my morning coffee.