TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

My concern would be kids my age or a little older try to jump up and touch the track. Hopefully they will fence off the area that is so close to the Superman Plaza midway.

I guarantee that while it might be low enough to be able to throw something at the train, it's not low enough to be able to be touched by someone in the plaza.

Also, let's be honest - how many rides in the world come within throwing distance of onlookers? Probably the vast majority of them.. How often do we hear stories about people throwing things at the train from the ground??

I wonder about clearance issues as well; Magic Mountain always seemed one of the bigger magnets to ... how to describe... "bad behavior." I figure all parks are; the higher attendance the higher the likelihood someone will do something stupid. I'm curious how much one cycle on Full Throttle will cost.

The track is not going to be anywhere close for somebody to jump up and touch it. That I can pretty much guarantee.

As for people throwing stuff on the ride, there are plenty of other rides at SFMM where this is a possibility and it's never happened that I've heard. Most rides exits or entrances go over a portion of track at some point. I've never heard of somebody throwing something down on Apocalypse's track when it goes under the exit ramp. Or on X2's track when it goes under the walk way. Or all the years Revolution's last turn has been so close to the carousel and it's never happened.

Sure some of SFMM's clientele may not be the brightest, but I honestly don't think this is going to be an issue. That said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of netting under the track. I really hope not because it looks really cool.

The Matterhorn Bobsleds come super close to the midway, they don't have issues.

California Screamin's track comes within a foot and a half of the exit path, they don't have issues.

As Robb said, Revolutions track comes right along the fence during the helix and that hasn't been an issue.

I think the large gauge of the track makes it appear more 'dangerous' or whatever than it actually is. I can probably throw a souvenir bottle and hit track/train on any roller coaster in Southern California.

The ride looks great, and I'm pretty psyched that some life will be added to the Superman Plaza! Maybe this will encourage them to open the Laughing Nothing!

This is no problem. For those who have been to Knott's, Boomerang has extremely close encounters with the walkway to the right of the cobra roll. The track is literally a few feet away from my fingers.

I'll be at SFMM this weekend to check things out.

Sky tower was open, Slingshot was open, Ninja was open, Sky Coaster was open. I'm pretty sure if all those can open in the wind that there was today, X2 can.

They were letting people line up when the park opened but not sure how long that was going on for.

Hope it did open. Was talking to someone who I assume is an enthusiast about what was his best plan on getting on X2 today. I told him to go back at the magic 3:00 hour. Would be a shame if he missed it.

Caught this photo from TPR member SirClinksALot on TWITTER

BE79Xu5CEAQWwoV.jpg:large

photo credit: sirclinksalot

Looks really cool going over the Superman plaza like that....will be too bad if they end up having to do some obnoxious netting to prevent thugs from throwing crap at passing trains (obviously you won't notice the netting from the tower, I'm saying it will take away from the beauty of it at ground level.

Caught this photo from TPR member SirClinksALot on TWITTER

BE79Xu5CEAQWwoV.jpg:large

photo credit: sirclinksalot

Looks really cool going over the Superman plaza like that....will be too bad if they end up having to do some obnoxious netting to prevent thugs from throwing crap at passing trains (obviously you won't notice the netting from the tower, I'm saying it will take away from the beauty of it at ground level.

I can't believe how awesome it looks! Does anyone know when they are shooting to open it? I'm sure it has been asked before, but I couldn't find the reply.

Superman was open today! Which means the plaza was open too! Which means that I got some pics (terrible quality because I took them with my cell phone though)!

The track in the plaza is higher up than it looks and the part where it looked like toy could touch is just out of reach. I'm 5'9" and my arms were probably about 1 foot from the track itself standing on my tip toes and trying to reach.

On a side note, Riddler's Revenge was back to 2 trains today!

Anywyays, here's the pictures!

image.thumb.jpg.bf3dd7905cc1de078f98f4d01a8dc12a.jpg

This is how far the track extends from the Superman Plaza toward Gold Rusher. This was taken right at the fence next to the track.

image.thumb.jpg.a974723516fc14fae2ee8d9e90382a06.jpg

Side shot of the track over the Superman Plaza. Taken from the same location as the first photo.

image.thumb.jpg.97738dc1fe02a7410968fd6838b3c3ff.jpg

The super sick looking dive loop thingy! It looks so spectacular from almost every angle! Taken from the other side of the plaza.