TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I read on the update posted on another site that the ride's capacity is only 750-800pph?! While I appreciate the new additions, it seems sort of cheap that SFMM is putting in coasters (I'd certainly include Green Lantern in this category) which they know can't really accommodate a sufficient number of guests during their busy days...

^Using other two train GCIs as a reference, Apocalypse's capacity is only around 800 riders per hour so that number sounds okay. Based on normal operations I'd estimate the park's other major coasters probably only average around 1000 riders per hour so it isn't much below average for the park (that being said I do think a few of the park's coasters (namely Green Lantern and Superman) have too low of capacity for a major park like SFMM). Whether or not Full Throttle is a capacity problem remains to be seen and will depend on the ride's popularity and how efficiently it is run, but I have a feeling it will have crazy lines the first summer then the masses will return to going straight to X2.

It's great to see work being done on the ride. If they are really able to finish the track in April anbd don't have any significant delays during testing, I could see this being open by Memorial Day, but I've got a feeling a mid-June opening is the most likely (probably right around when most of the LA area schools get out for the summer).

Actually, 750 is not bad. I do not think any rides in the park hit over 750 pph except for Pocky and Goliath. GL may be able to theoretically hit that, but the actual capacity tends to be much lower. Probably closer to the 300-400 pph range.

Personally, I dont think a park the size of SFMM should put a ride in that can't achieve at least 1000 pph. However, given the massive amount of coasters that are available to guests. I feel like they can get away with it to some degree just because of the sheet amount of options available to guests. Whereas at small parks, its almost vital that their one or two major rides can handle a bunch of people as there a less rides available per guest. It would be great is every coaster was a people eater. Just depends on how much money the park/company wants to spend.

Exactly, they have 19 roller coasters or something obscene like that now. They don't all have to be 2500 pph human gobblers at this point. Why do we all forget so easily that this park builds far more coasters on average per decade than any other by a wide margin? As long as the capacity you add equals your expected annual increase in gate attendance then all will be fine.

Actually, 750 is not bad. I do not think any rides in the park hit over 750 pph except for Pocky and Goliath. GL may be able to theoretically hit that, but the actual capacity tends to be much lower. Probably closer to the 300-400 pph range.

I realize Scream isn't everyone's favorite, but I assume if it's running more than one train it would have very good capacity (if the dispatch intervals are reasonable). Viper and Ninja also look like they have a lot of capacity, at least with multiple trains and good intervals.

Yeah I really hope this is a joke. Up at SFDK, Medusa will average 800pph but could easily get as high 1000+pph (I can't remember for sure, but I wanna say we got close to 1200 pph when running 3 trains). Hell, Kong could easily pull off 800pph.

Assuming Full Throttle is operated as well as Superman at SFDK, I could see the throughput being higher. Remember when people were expecting 250 to 300pph on that thing and it ended up being almost double. With Full Throttle running multiple trains (which are larger) I could see them doing a higher capacity. Then again this is SFMM so it could also end up being about 300pph.

Exactly, they have 19 roller coasters or something obscene like that now. They don't all have to be 2500 pph human gobblers at this point. Why do we all forget so easily that this park builds far more coasters on average per decade than any other by a wide margin? As long as the capacity you add equals your expected annual increase in gate attendance then all will be fine.

Have you actually been to SFMM on a busy summer day? You definitely feel the effect of all those lower capacity rides.

The potential for higher capacity is there if SFMM wanted to spend the money: Goliath, RRv, Tatsu, and Scream are all capable of 1500-1800 with all three trains and a good crew. S:TE could do at least 1000 consistently running both sides with a good crew, B:TR 1000-1200 with 2 trains and a good crew, etc. etc.

I know this because that's what we actually did 10 years ago...when people in operations actually cared.

^ Agreed, A lot of rides doesn't really make the lines shorter. CP gets INSANE lines on some of their rides, Raptor being one that comes to mind, but they move shockingly quick because they are staffed properly, the crew is efficient, and they run the max trains (except Mantis that runs 2 of 3 because they found out a 3rd train doesn't increase capacity on that ride). If SFMM made the effort/investment to get all their rides running at full capacity, it would be huge step (quite possibly one of the biggest they could make) towards improving the negative image that surrounds the park.

^ Agreed. It doesn't really matter how many people it COULD take per hour, it is whether the crew is trying to make as many people as possible on and off the ride. At SFMM Goliath and Scream will have one train running on any given day in the summer. The crew's don't care about efficiency anymore.

^ I can't remember the last time Goliath or Scream ran 1 train during the summer. Those two (with Viper) are probably three of the most consistent rides in the park. Feel free to bring up Tatsu, Riddlers, GL:FF, S:EFK, Apocalypse instead.

The park has enough problems without making stuff up.

Here's a question: how do you get your friend to join a vacation club at the credit union? Tell him that we are planning a trip to go to California next year!!! When I presented to my friend any and all information about Six Flags Magic Mountain and showed him the video of YOLO, he almost freaked out. Of course, there are other exciting places to visit while we are on our 2014 tour of California ( like Disneyland, Legoland, and Fisherman's Wharf located in San Fransico), but Magic Mountain seems to have been the deciding factor in order to convince my friend to go with me to California ( would you believe he'd never been on an airplane before - methinks the only airplane he'd ridden in was a kiddie ride: many, many years ago!). So I'm not concern when YOLO will be up and running in this year because we won't be coming their until next year - and I'm sure they will have all the bugs worked out by then.

AS for the discussion on riders per hour, all the newfangled and innovated coasters due have a problem with long lines, but it isn't the park's fault they have too many visitors coming to their park ( if a park cannot attract visitors and generate more $$$, then something's wrong). You can only fault Six Flags Magic Mountain for having so many great rides and the World's Record for having the most coasters in one park I would love to give out the #, but I cannot count that high ). Besides, if you need to get on a ride that don't have long lines, then ride the Scrambler and The Atom Smasher.

I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!

Capacity:

The good news is that there is no lift hill on the ride, so it will start immediately. There are no seat belts or any additional restraints on the ride other than a lap bar. Capacity shouldn't be a HUGE problem...

The bad news is that it is run by SFMM employees.

The good news is that there is no lift hill on the ride, so it will start immediately. There are no seat belts or any additional restraints on the ride other than a lap bar. Capacity shouldn't be a HUGE problem.../quote]

Until they decide to put huge OTSR on it just like Revolution and totally kill the ride experience and capacity.

Although...

The marketing team is forgetting one record. YOLO will hold the world record for the lowest capacity traditional multi-launcher ever installed. (Cheetah Hunt, Maverick, Verbolten, Manta, and Helix will all be able to pull at least 1200 pph)

The marketing team is forgetting one record. YOLO will hold the world record for the lowest capacity traditional multi-launcher ever installed.

Can't be any worse than Volcano. I hear that ride still gets pretty bad lines, even on slow days.

Thinking about heading to the park today. I'll get pictures if I decide to go.

What is everyone's take on Tim Burkhart? Is he anywhere near as beloved as Jay Thomas? I know the current lady is not well liked, I'm just wondering if folks are as sour as Tim (been the for years now, right?) as they are Bonnie/the park in general. Please note that I'm not trying to start a "why does everyone whine --- well, it's because we know what this park was/could be" discussion, I'm honestly just curious about other higher ups at the park.

Lastly, it does seem a real shame to tear out the boats - but I imagine the upkeep (water/repairs etc) costs has to be right up there when you consider it "per rider cost", right?

Edited by robbalvey

^ That's because even with the additions of rides like Dominator and Intimidator 305, Volcano is without a doubt still the most popular ride in the park for the GP. I'm sure Yolocoaster won't be the most popular ride at SFMM...

Or Volcano had bad capacity.

- I'm sure Gatekeeper won't be the most popular ride at Cedar Point either.