TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really think that SFMM should consider try an get the main signer Stephanie Sanson from "You Only Live Once" to preform at YOLOcoaster grand opening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QNdOhGvFHQ

Her parents must be so proud.

I don't have a problem with that style of music, but you don't go on a show like American Idol and think you are going to get people to listen to it. That just struck me as an idiot teenager thinking she was being cool.

I really think that SFMM should consider try an get the main signer Stephanie Sanson from "You Only Live Once" to preform at YOLOcoaster grand opening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QNdOhGvFHQ

Her parents must be so proud.

I don't have a problem with that style of music, but you don't go on a show like American Idol and think you are going to get people to listen to it. That just struck me as an idiot teenager thinking she was being cool.

and just wanting to get on TV. She knew she wasn't goign to make the show, but got her minute on national TV which is probably all she really wanted

Hello TPR! I have a friend who's studying "abroad" in Los Angeles and wants to go to Magic Mountain. He's never been, and I've only been once 14 years ago, so I am deferring to more informed opinions. Basically, what should he do there? What are must-rides, and is there any sort of order he should hit them up and move about the park? And would it be worth it to get a Flash Pass of any sort? Also he'll be in the city until mid-April, and he has no preference for a weekend to go. In his words, "if there's a weekend that minimizes crowd and/or maximizes enjoyment in some way, that's when I want to go."

So basically what's the best way to get the Magic Mountain experience in one day for someone who's willing to ride whatever?

Is there even a real animated POV of this? I know the announcement trailer was labeled a POV and you basically get the whole ride from that, but still. Their other announced rides got full POV videos.

No full POV. But there was never a full animated POV released for Green Lantern, Apocalypse, or Tatsu either. (They had like half a POV for Superman and Lex Luthor.)

To be fair, they don't have post anything. You're lucky you got what you did. They could have just posted a logo and description and called it a day. I highly doubt a POV would do anything to further their marketing campaign.

To be fair, I highly doubt improving operations around the park would do much to improve their overall bottom line. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see that happen. There's always things that would be nice to have, and these thoughts/wants are what goes along with being an enthusiast; I'm sure you have your list of things you'd like to see from certain parks as well. Seeing a POV for an upcoming ride just happens to be one of those things for me. I never acted like the park owed anything to anyone either.

IMO, I just posted a thought and wasn't trying to attack the park or say they owed anyone something, it's not like a lack of a full POV isn't going to stop me from going to the park when Full Throttle opens.

Really, since the video gives a good idea of the entire layout already, I am not too dissapointed that they are not showing a full pov. What irritates me more is the situation like Iron Rattler, when they did not post a pov, and the promotional video only shows half the layout.

I kinda miss the days where we actually had to ride the new ride to enjoy it. This 'Wheres my POV' conversation is stupid.

Seriously, the announcement video provides more than enough information as to EXACTLY how the ride is going to go. Why do you need more?

How far we have come since the days when you had to check the mail box daily for ACE news (or Amusement Park Journal, Gravity Gazette, or one of the other photocopied b/w mailings) to even get a glimpse of an artists rendering of the ride (which usually looked ridiculous). If you were a very ambitious coaster nerd, you would write (you remember, before computers and email) to a park and get a brochure, maybe a fact sheet or some 8X10s of their coasters. You know, before the internet n stuff

In all fairness, I'm sure we will have the full YOLO POV soon. So, what's the consensus? Worlds tallest vertical loop?

I kinda miss the days where we actually had to ride the new ride to enjoy it. This 'Wheres my POV' conversation is stupid.

Seriously, the announcement video provides more than enough information as to EXACTLY how the ride is going to go. Why do you need more?

I dont care about the POV, but you dont find it odd that they have no stat(or fact) sheet that gives us info? (like speed, hight,length etc?)

^^LOL, yes!

Back when I was a little kid, I discovered that you can call theme parks and have them send you a press kit, or something similar. I ended up calling every Six Flags theme park I could find the phone number to, and I got all kinds of cool stuff in the mail. Postcards, park maps, typewritten press releases, stickers and other stuff. I got in a good deal of trouble for all of the long distance charges I accumulated. This was before I realized that the word 'enthusiast' existed.

Ahhhh...the good ol' days.

If anything, these youtube videos that get released have largely replaced the NEED for fact sheets.

Who cares if a ride is 2317 feet long

1 vertical loop

1 camel back

3 launches

yadda yadda yadda....

....when you can SEE the whole thing in the video? Back in the day, the stats were all the info you had about the new ride, except maybe a crude diagram or a cheesy press rendering. With such a simple ride, I don't think anybody needs to know the exact length or other useless stats when now-a-days we can just view the video. 'Oh. It's THAT long.'

I ended up calling every Six Flags theme park I could find the phone number to

What, you didn't use your Roller Coaster Fever directory?

That was the coaster nerd bible back then; the hours I spent with my nose in that book. It's still a great book with many old pictures that haven't found their way to the internet. If your into that sorta thing - you know, old coasters with character and stuff... not that B&Ms and Intamins don't have character

This was before I realized that the word 'enthusiast' existed.

I remember when I saw the itinerary for my first Coaster Con in 1988 at Geauga Lake, and found out what ERT stands for. Good times!

Exactly and there really isn't anymore to see.

In this case, do they really need to?

Speed : 70 mph

Height : 160ft

Length : Short.

Lol!

Soo.... is YOLOcoaster the considered the tallest vertical loop?

Full Throttle will have the tallest vertical loop. Full Throttle's loop will be 160' tall and the current tallest vertical loop is on Superman: Krypton Coaster (SFFT) at 145'.