TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Please don't tell me this thread is going to spiral back into the whole "Restore Revolution" thing again.

Guess I haven't been here long enough to see any thread spiral to restoring Revolution. Just added that because I know some people enjoy talking about it. And looking at old pictures

Anything they do with Colossus will be a welcome change. Lots of comments about Colossus being kinda... boring. But remember, the ride was once one of the most violent ejector-air time rides in the world. For a few months, anyway Then it was a "darn good ride" for many years... then the plastic trains came (was it 1987? Trying to think back to the ACE news at the time; those trains were $400,000 each). I remember the park making a big deal out of of adding a block brake (by removing the double down) so they could run 3 trains (which was odd... as they ran 3 trains just fine before that). Then they didn't run 3 trains.

It will be interesting whatever comes of it. From everything we've seen, if RMC has a hand in it, a great ride will come out of it!

I agree with the "I wish Six Flags would keep or maintain some of their classic woodies" thing to an extent.

The issue is, for the most part Six Flags as a whole hasn't done this. There are a few Six Flags classic woodies that are still great like GASM (SFOG), American Eagle (SFGAm) but for the most part, most of them are mediocre at best. I'd actually anticipate them doing this to some of the more modern woodies in the next few years such as Viper (SFGAm) and the Roar's (SFA/SFDK). I wouldn't anticipate anything like GASM, GA Cyclone or Rolling Thunder getting this treatment. Rolling Thunder mostly because El Toro is already there.

Still, I'd love to see their classics get solid rehabs and maybe topper track at the very least.

Exactly. Just something to keep that classical essence in the park. It could also benefit towards marketing the older crowds, especially parents bringing their kids to the park. "Oh, mom and dad ride this when I was your age," kind of stuff.

Didn't Colossus have an accident in '78?

A passenger was ejected from the ride, blamed on weight, during its inaugural year.

I think the biggest accident there in 1978 was allowing the rock group Kiss "Meets the Phantom of the Park" to be filmed there.

I think the biggest accident there in 1978 was allowing the rock group Kiss "Meets the Phantom of the Park" to be filmed there.

That movie is really great and horrible at the same time. Great for the shots of Revolution alone... but we don't get to see Colossus in action (must have been shot after the accident). Fun movie just for the weird 70s feel to it - for anyone that remembers that stuff

on an off note, "KISS meets the Phantom" was awesome 70's cheese at its best! it would be great to see Colossus get a make over, Six Flags altered and neutered several wooden coasters, with the new technology that's out there they can do wonders with the woodies now. however, how many people ( and you know there will be some) will hate having a "new" Colossus? I can think of several woodies at Six Flags parks that could use the "treatment" maybe this will be a trend we see at other SF parks with their woodies...

The 1977 film "Rollercoaster" is a lot better to watch, and you got a full run through of Revolution when it was still the biggest coaster in the park, before Colossus was built. The film is still a bit cheesy and overlong, but it's still a fun movie to see coasters in action!

well someone beat me to it but anyone old enough to remember and have ridden Colossus when it opened in '78 would not have described as boring...it was relentless...I'm all for this and will remain optimistic that the company doing the make over will ensure its done correctly...and I agree, the original double down drop should be restored...we all know why it was taken out and the ride slowed back in the day...

well someone beat me to it but anyone old enough to remember and have ridden Colossus when it opened in '78 would not have described as boring...it was relentless...I'm all for this and will remain optimistic that the company doing the make over will ensure its done correctly...and I agree, the original double down drop should be restored...we all know why it was taken out and the ride slowed back in the day...

Yes, I missed out on the original Colossus, but I do have some old southern California friends who loved it back in the day.

I might be a little late on this (Sorry! Not over here much!) but I think Colossus getting the Iron Horse treatment would be awesome! I just hope if it happens, RMC would bank the flat turns like the ones on Great White at Morey's Piers. That would rock!

^Wes, you haven't heard? The removal of Deja Va caused a serious imbalance of tectonic plates, thus triggering a huge earthquake and plunging California into the Pacific!

Or at least that's what I read on the Internet.

just tweeted he went on superman, So it is indeed random (the times superman is closed or open..)

It looks like they just opened up a small path to get through the construction. Good on them. Gold Rusher is also open.

BAboffACAAAmwMJ.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.87cc1431dd03f8a07fb2eba06861877f.jpeg

Edited by robbalvey

Since SFMM is always about records, it is pretty much a given that, if this is built, it will have at least one inversion. That way, they can go for the obvious first coaster with inversions in the west. However, I could see them adding four+ inversions, therefore giving them the world record.