TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am all for this idea! I just hope they don't go over-board on the inversions (oh wait, it's Six Flags Magic Mountain!). Either way, it will be an amazing ride! A dueling RMC iron horse sounds so awesome! I do have a question, though. Colossus opened in 1978, which makes it much older than Rattler or Texas Giant. Is the support structure strong enough to operate the coaster for another 10-15 years? I'm sure they'll do something to stiff it up a bit, but we have to remember that Colossus is over a decade younger than the other RMC iron horse coasters.

^ Colossus also has to deal with the earthquake codes in CA so if anything the structure may be stronger than those two. The structure will need some work though, I can see this conversion taking way longer than the other ones, and not just because it's SFMM.

I think this is great news, Colossus is one of my favorite coasters in the park (not saying much) but it's in desperate need of something. I'd honestly be THRILLED if it just got the topper track and restored to it's ORIGINAL layout.

I'm so hoping SFMM does this, and hopefully they add more airtime into it instead of inversions. I don't think this park needs many more inversions. Hopefully I'll be able to get to SFMM to ride the old Colossus this year and sometime in the future the next one, if this is true and it opens.

I would love for the I-Box treatment on Colossus! I've only rode it once, and thought it wasn't that great. It wasn't too rough, but it just wasn't that interesting for me. If they could refurbish this thing, then only good can come from it, especially if they restore the Double Down drop!

I wonder how SFMM will turn something that could be really great into something that is going to be WTF? and What where they thinking?

We know what their thinking. "Inversions , Inversions, take that hill out, add a loop"

This would be an awesome coaster for Rocky Mountain, I'm only hoping that it will stay open long enough for them to run the Psyclone trains backwards this year.

If I were to guess at a timeline, I'd guess that the park will keep Colossus open through the end of Fright Fest and promote "last time ever" for backwards Colossus like crazy. They would then either close the ride right after, or run it through winter break before closing it. Given the size of the attraction, I'm thinking it will take 12-16 months to rebuild, so I wouldn't expect the refurbishment to be complete until Spring/Summer 2015. With Full Throttle opening this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the park gets little to nothing for 2014. Perhaps Hurricane Harbor could finally get a major new attraction next year instead.

What if they kept one side wood and just put topper track on and redo the other side with steel? Then it could be like a battle between steel and wood coasters.

If they are planning to retrack it, I like this idea, really. Not sure if it's viable to redo only one side if they need to reprofile for the topper track. I sure it can be done, but at what cost.

Not really sure how I feel about redoing the whole ride. I know, Colossus is getting old and a bit rough around the edges, but it's not nearly as bad as some of it's newer wooden cousins that truly beat the crap out of you (I give you The Boss at SFStL -- now there's a ride that NEEDS topper track).

I'm waiting for the big announcement that parks are going to start re-tracking classic Arrows with wood. Might actually make some of them smoother...