TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

If its a dueling coaster still, then maybe we will see six train operation again like in the old days!

But seriously, the right side of Colossus hasn't been run for over a year. Since November 2011. The left side has been running ever since. They only have three trains that they can operate at the moment, though, and one is freshly refurbed.

It also sounds like if this Colossus refurb is true, then I guess we will have to say goodbye to Colossus Backwards. Unless they run Iron Colossus backwards. That would be interesting.

I've ridden the right side as recently as WCB 2012 so I'm not sure when they actually put it out. On the flip side I only just got my first forwards ride on the left side about a month ago after going to SFMM at least once a year for 7+ years.

Just a wild thought:

1. Could SFMM make Colossus möbius by reprofiling the ride and, therefore making it the world's longest wooden coaster?

2. Would you put it past SFMM to pull such a stunt and market it as "the world's longest wooden coaster"?

But seriously, the right side of Colossus hasn't been run for over a year. Since November 2011.

Great...that's the side I need (yes, I care about such things).

Nice to see this rumor coming back to life; it seems like 2014 could really be the year. I wonder if we could trust SFMM to keep both tracks, and race them consistently once again, because that would be awesome.

It'll be a nice refurb to it.....Its a classic ride at SFMM and I think thats why I think its hard for us to see it change to this way... But if their managment seems to think its a good thing and helps with reliablity and cost effective and means more trains to operate then I'm for it... Its a 50/50 ordeal to do a major change like this. But after reading peoples post about Texas Giant and Iron Rattler getting the change and people enjoying it.... Then I'm all for it!!

Hopefully its true!!! But only time will tell!!

If this Iron Colossus is true then I believe MM has made a great decision for the first time in a while. I live in Dallas and I can tell you New Texas Giant at SFOT is incredible. RMC did one hell of a job. It's currently the BEST coasters Ive ever been on and full of non stop airtime. Now they are working on Rattler in San Antonio which has potential to possible be a bit better then Giant...we shall see. If you live in SoCal and attend the MM park this is really something you will want to see happen to Colossus. MM needs a good airtime coaster and this is something they should not pass up. I hope this happens cause it will be good!

I'm still undecided on whether I like or dislike the idea of Colossus receiving the Rocky Mountain treatment. On one hand, the coaster is a classic even though it is only a shadow of its former self, but on the other, the ride is definitely in the lower half of the park's coasters (I rank it 12th out of 17) and this upgrade could make it one of their best. If the Rocky Mountain treatment does happen, I'd like to see the following:

-Double out and back layout with two similar independent racing (not dueling) tracks

-Similar length, height, and first drop statistics (although the drop can be steeper)

-No inversions added

-Two trains per track run regularly

-Both tracks raced except during low season

-At least the same amount of airtime the coaster originally had, if not more

One other thing that I think would be somewhat neat (although very unlikely) would be if one track used Iron Horse track and the other used Topper track. Then it would give riders the opportunity to try both styles back to back, an opportunity I doubt will ever be available elsewhere.

If they're going to do a gimmick element, might as well do a high-five element right?

YES! That would go over SO WELL in Los Angeles! lol

Just call it the "Drive By" element! Haha.

Ooooo, theming light bulb just went off over my head!

If this is true, Im very happy to see them give it the Iron Horse treatment. I rode it a few years ago, it was not pleasant at all. I have to wonder if Colossus will remain a racing coaster or not. Personally I hope they bring back the original layout, so we have those bunny hills. I am curious to see if they will make it loop or not, and how they will alter the layout.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this possible transformation. Colossus was my first big roller coaster, and it certainly has some nostalgia value for me. I'm fine with a woodie that has a slightly rough (not Bandit rough) character, and Colossus delivered a classic thrill for me when I first rode it. That being said, it has roughened over the last few years, and I am interested to see how the RMC treatment will go for Colossus. Who knows; the loss of the nostalgia might be worth refreshing this old racer and making it exciting again!

Edited by Six Flags Enthuseast

It'll only last until KBF re-tracks or gives Ghostrider the I-Box make-over.
I am a bit of a fan of Colossus, though I-Box Colossus would be amazing.
What about a dueling RMC I-Box coaster? It sounds plausible to me.
One other thing that I think would be somewhat neat (although very unlikely) would be if one track used I-Box track and the other used Topper track.
If this is true, Im very happy to see them give it the I-Box treatment.

Fixed it for you, everyone! Now I just have to go through the Cedar Point thread and fix every post that refers to Gatekeeper as a Wing Rider and not a Wing Coaster...

More to the point - if this would get Colossus racing again, I'm all for it. Although, I would rather see a Topper re-profiling because an I-Box one doesn't make it a wooden coaster anymore. Wooden coasters seem to always be the best racing/dueling coasters, with great examples like Lightning Racer, Dauling Dragon, Joris en de Draak, the list goes on.

I want to be happy and really be excited...but we all know, if there's one park in this country that could somehow screw this up...well...yeah.

They'll screw it up by marketing it as racing or dueling but only one side will ever be open at a time except for one month a year. And since it's SFMM there is not allowed to be any airtime, and there must be at least 7 inversions.

All joking aside, I do hope this rumor finally comes true.

Ooooo, theming light bulb just went off over my head!

With NWA providing the onboard audio? This is an idea I could get behind.

And near the split up the phrase: Choose your Faith? And flatscreens near to exits that says: Congrets. You Survived! or To Bad.Goodbye!

And to top of the theming let the operators where themed clothes and guns!

I want to be happy and really be excited...but we all know, if there's one park in this country that could somehow screw this up...well...yeah.

"Remove anything that could be an airtime hill and make it a barrel roll... Have the train stop... Go backwards... And go through the same barrel roll AGAIN!"

Edited by robbalvey