TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

At this point we don't really know if it is possible or not. Depends on how much they are tearing up in and around the area. But until they are ready to pour those footers, there's no reason to keep the ride down except to save money. But like I said, that's their business model and it works well for them financially.

^^ I disagree with you on the closure of Superman. I've been to the mountain a lot the past 2 weeks. There is a lot of construction, and workers in Superman plaza. They're making the rebar in the area along side the Apocalypse lift hill. Then they've then got to move it up the hill on the walkway up to Samurai Summit just past Gold Rusher. Lot's of cranes and other machinery all over. This would be too dangerous having the GP walking around. I'll deny ever defending Magic Mountain scheduling. I must be off my medication.

I do agree, they could've waited until next week when the park is only open weekends.

^ Who knows perhaps they looked at a temporally path upwards the hill, but ended up failing. Just guessing here. But then the park shouldn't have said they will keep it open, but instead said they where looking at a way to keep it open. Oh well I'm happy to see there actually busy now.

From a guest service standpoint, that's a bullsh*t reason to close a ride. But for the new Six Flags, it is business as usual. Construction= convenient excuse to cut that cost for the quarter. Smart from a strictly business point of view...

They know it's a BS reason. That's why you won't read that reason in any PR. Problem is conditions like construction are too good for them to willingly pass up the chance to cut that particular cost, and they know people (GP) will believe them without question.

For those interested, while I used to work for SFMM, I'm now working for a local aerospace corporation. You could say my career has really taken off.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

Holy crap! I just noticed that we've already had nearly 6,000 people look at that last update we did!

If there are any other So Cal locals who are heading to SFMM and are interested in doing regular YOLOcoaster or even general SFMM updates, please let me know! Your pictures would certainly get seen by a lot of people!

Well compared to Gatekeeper, construction on YOLO is moving much faster!

That's because it only has three pieces! ...

Haha! One of the funniest posts I've read in a long time.

I honestly don't see the big deal about Superman being closed. People have suggested any number of plausible (albeit lazy on the park's part) reasons why the ride closed when it did. And plus, considering new rides at most parks elsewhere in the country are only open May-October, SFMM seems to have ground to close the ride for a while.

As much as I like new rides, am I the only one who thinks the park needs some money put into general upkeep / repair? In addition to some paint jobs (e.g. Tatsu), I can't believe that they still hasn't cleaned up the ex-Deja Vu area.

Holy crap! I just noticed that we've already had nearly 6,000 people look at that last update we did!

If there are any other So Cal locals who are heading to SFMM and are interested in doing regular YOLOcoaster or even general SFMM updates, please let me know! Your pictures would certainly get seen by a lot of people!

Wow that's insane! I can't believe the photos I took got almost 6,000 views! Thanks everyone! Be sure to give me feedback about the updates (eg. What else to include, etc.)! Thanks again! Totally unexpected!

I honestly don't see the big deal about Superman being closed. People have suggested any number of plausible (albeit lazy on the park's part) reasons why the ride closed when it did. And plus, considering new rides at most parks elsewhere in the country are only open May-October, SFMM seems to have ground to close the ride for a while.

It's no big deal - the park probably just shouldn't have announced it would remain open is all. DCA set a high standard in terms of limiting the impact of construction on guests, particularly with regard to managing people's expectations.

Just got back from the park. Longest wait is season pass processing with 3 1/2 hours of waiting. X2 and Tatsu were both walk-on for me. Got there at 1 and left at 3:45 and got on everything except Riddler and Colossus. Really really REALLY dead day at the park.

The processing line takes up the entire entrance plaza and actually made the open up the other processing center in the old Flashback queue building.

^^ Good picture story. I was at the park today also. It was my last visit for sometime. The ride lines were very short, but season pass lines (yes multiple) were huge! I'm glad I processed mine two weeks ago.

I went up to see the construction "progress" in the Sky Tower. I was speaking with one of the ride-ops there, and she said F.T. will shut down Tatsu also at some point during construction. I really don't understand that, but she brought it up. Get ready for more shutdowns...

^How is Tatsu affected!?!?

Doesn't sound true if you ask me. Maybe the last turn of the ride where the supports are kinda near the work site? I have no idea, but if they do close it would be a good idea to do it now since its not a busy time. Oh yeah, the Tatsu crew was doing awesome, at least more than usual. They actually were trying to beat the timer and there was usually only 10 seconds of stacking. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Rides running 1 train:

Riddler's Revenge

Colossus

Batman

Rides running 1 train due to maintenance:

Riddler's Revenge

Rides running 1 train due to Six Flags not wanting to put the work in to taking the second train off the transfer and making you stare at it knowing that your very slow moving line could be much shorter and faster if they just took that second train off the transfer:

Colossus (This ride is far too long and popular to only run one train and you have another functional train waiting, which they have. 2 actually!)

Batman

Actually a pretty short list.

Rides running two trains:

Goliath

Lex Luthor (both sides)

Scream

Green Lantern (4 cars)

Apocalypse

Tatsu

Revolution

Ninja

Viper

X2

That's quite a long list. I'm proud of them! Usually 2 or more of these on the third list are on the second list.

Closed rides:

Superman

Gold Rusher

Due to construction. Not a big deal.

Hopefully they get the left side of Superman operational again. (lLast time I rode, only the right side was open and the left side had a rad tag attached to it saying "Do Not Operate". Before this, the left side was having some trouble, specifically with the pull into the station at the end of the ride.

3.5 hours to process a pass? Yeah, no.

What? No! This has to be a bit of an exaggeration, right? How is that even acceptable customers service by ANY means? I thought SFMM won like "best park in the entire freaking universe" or something like that? 3 1/2 hours? Wow...

--Robb "It took us about 3 1/2 minutes to re-new our Walt Disney World annual passes..." Alvey