TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Maybe they'll buy Hershey's water coaster.

It probably has higher capacity than Lex Luthor or Green Lantern!

--Robb "It's funny because it's TRUE!" Alvey

Haha, No way they are lower in capacity than Roller Soaker. I grew a beard standing in that line.

For the second year in a row, the Magic Mountain park set a new record for their business performance and was also the top performer out of all the Six Flags parks. The even bigger news is that for the very first time ever, Magic Mountain broke the all-time company earnings record that has been held by Six Flags Great America for many years. So now, not only is Six Flags Magic Mountain the Thrill Capital of the World with more roller coasters than any park on the planet, they are also the top performing Six Flags park out of the entire chain. Additionally, Magic Mountain also leads the company in overall Guest Satisfaction.

Here are some highlights of Magic Mountain’s financial performance for 2012:

Highest profits in the company – ever!

Highest total guest spending in the company – ever!

Highest single revenue month

Highest single day revenue

Highest catered ticket and meal revenue in the company

In addition to their financial performance, here are some ride statistics:

Ride down time came in at 1.9% (under their 3% threshold)

A total of 22.5 million rides delivered

Eight attractions delivered over 1 million rides each

Edited by robbalvey

So, SFMM has the highest revenue of any Six Flags park, but they cannot afford extra trains, large enough maintenance crews, a sufficient number of staff, or high capacity rides?

Maybe that's exactly why they are the top grossing Six Flags park. Sadly, it proves that their business tactic is working.

MrSum1"Seaworld can get more people through in an hour on Manta than two or three SFMM coasters combined"_55

So, SFMM has the highest revenue of any Six Flags park, but they cannot afford extra trains, large enough maintenance crews, a sufficient number of staff, or high capacity rides?

Maybe that's exactly why they are the top grossing Six Flags park. Sadly, it proves that their business tactic is working.

MrSum1"Seaworld can get more people through in an hour on Manta than two or three SFMM coasters combined"_55

Revenue is not the same as profit, and the lack of any mentioning of profit in the report leads me to believe the park isn't hugely profitable compared to some of the other parks in the chain, including smaller ones. I bet SFMM also has some of the highest total operating costs in the chain as well. I do wish the park would invent more in higher capacity rides though.

^The report does say that the park has the highest profit in the chain as well.

That being said, I will applaud them for reducing their down time, even if the removal of Deja Vu helped significantly. In fact, this is another reason I strongly dislike FT. To me, it would be a perfectly acceptable addition if it were at a smaller park with a very limited budget, and, this proves that SFMM is not a small or low profit park.

Getting rid of their water rides should help with lowering the downtime statistic, considering they're all closed through the winters.

I don't think that is really considered downtime since the ride is closed due to the weather not a problem with the ride.

Good for the park then, hopefully they don't go back to wasting it all on huge coasters.

I was about to say they already did with Full Throttle, but then I realized it is small for them being a 3-second WEEEE!!

So now, not only is Six Flags Magic Mountain the Thrill Capital of the World with more roller coasters than any park on the planet, they are also the top performing Six Flags park out of the entire chain. Additionally, Magic Mountain also leads the company in overall Guest Satisfaction.

Also in 2012, I was the most awesome person on the planet.*

* Based on an independent study. Statistical data and compilation methods are not available to the public.

Getting rid of their water rides should help with lowering the downtime statistic, considering they're all closed through the winters.

I'm pretty sure the report is referring to "unscheduled" downtime.

For example, if you "plan" on not having Jet Stream open until 11:30 on a 100 degree day (yes, I was there when this happened) it doesn't count as downtime, it's just part of the operating schedule.

As others have said, all this report proves is their plan of catering to the YOLO crowd is actually working.

Jet Stream opened at 11:30 every day this summer. At least that I saw.

I'm gonna head down to the park around noon today to try and get some rides in. Hope it isn't too crowded. I rode eye rethink but Tatsu and Colossus on Monday and I was only there for 4 hours. Hoping for a day just as good if not better than Monday today.

I was the last one on Apocalypse in 2012. Just to prove that the world didn't end, and if it did, I would be the last one to die.

I'm pretty sure the report is referring to "unscheduled" downtime.

For example, if you "plan" on not having Jet Stream open until 11:30 on a 100 degree day (yes, I was there when this happened) it doesn't count as downtime, it's just part of the operating schedule.

As others have said, all this report proves is their plan of catering to the YOLO crowd is actually working.

I figured as much after I posted that, but decided just to leave it because of my serious personal problem of being forever bitter at everything SFMM does.

Good for the park then, hopefully they don't go back to wasting it all on huge coasters.

I believe the highest profit in the chain is attributable to the park having more operating days. Based on the high prices for SFGAdv season passes I would not be surprised if different metrics show SFGAdv to be the most profitable park in the chain.

Edited by larrygator