TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

YOLOcoaster will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

I just hope the area keeps its shade...I have always been a fan of wooded areas in parks, like the area around Log Jammer, Rapids Camp Crossing, BGW, and the Grizzly Peak area at DCA.

YOLOcoaster will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

I just hope the area keeps its shade...I have always been a fan of wooded areas in parks, like the area around Log Jammer, Rapids Camp Crossing, the entire BGW, and the Grizzly Peak area at DCA.

THIS. I hope this doesn't look like a big field of concrete like Knott's boardwalk.

Though, I'm interested to see how this new themed area will look like. SFMM did a good job on theming for Lex Luthor, Green Lantern/DC Universe, & Apocalypse, so I expect them to do a decent job on the area.

^ What are they doing to the area? I haven't heard anything about that.

They're definitely putting a gift shop at the exit that will specialize in Full _Throttle energy drinks.

/sarcasm

But really, I hope they don't do anything drastic - the 'redwood'/country (can't think of another way to describe it) theming of the area is neat. I don't see how it will work the YOLO coaster, but..

The area that I anticipate seeing the re-theme is between the entry plaza all the way to the old entrance to Log Jammer. I'd like to see Mooseburger Lodge and the Log Jammer entrance area stay mostly the same, as that area really does not need a re-theme and its one of the more pretty parts of the park. The previously mentioned area needs one in a big way, so hopefully that's the piece of land they are looking at. Those ugly temporary carnival looking establishments, the Bugs Bunny Stage, and the ex-chicken restaurant can all use a major upgrade (especially considering their proximity to the front of the park/first impression).

After riding Superman at SFDK I think FT will be a good coaster. Not what any of the folks in this discussion would have designed but probably the best given a constrained budget. Superman has the most airtime on any coaster I know of in California, it's ejector quality. After riding that I suspect the outside of the FT loop will have sustained airtime, although probably not as abrupt as at SFDK.

As for the "quality" of the park, I only have gone there for the coasters, not the cheesy theming or the other aspects that make it not ideal. Several of the coasters are ones I like a lot when they're running well, but they're all second tier rides.

I like how Goliath's queue is shaded from plantings, I'm sure it's appreciated on summer days.

And in fairness to the park currently, I do like the fact that YOLOcoaster is opening with an update to the area, something I hope they do again when adding something new. I think that's the best idea they've had in years.

I don't think they''ll have much of a choice. The majority of the park still retains the 1970's infrastructure! Good that they are actually doing it though.

^I have to agree with this. Goliath kind of marked the end for me, then they decided to go "Xtreme" and get X and Deja Vu at the same time and then suddenly the focus was how can we add thrill ride after thrill ride with nothing more than the ride itself going for it. No attempt at theme or story, just a coaster. They aren't the only park to do this of course, but it comes out more here because they used to really try and then just kind of gave up.

You hit the nail on the head. They did win me back with Terminator Salvation... but now we are back to a new coaster every year...

^ This is why I'm a big MM fan. I'm a coaster nut - hence my screen name. I have no problem with MM's lack of themed areas. For me it doesn't add to my experience. If I wanted this, I'd go to Disney or other parks. Just let me ride ride ride...

The critical moment was everything after Batman The Ride. It's the last attraction I can remember that came with a fully immersive environment.

The park never got into current habits until after Goliath. Superman had an attempt at theme, we got a rethemed area from Riddler's installation, Goliath also had okay decorations and such. Hurricane Harbor was added post-Batman too.

Exactly. Think about it, Goliath was 2000, and then 2001 brought "Three coasters" to the mountain - X, Deja Vu, and Goliath Jr, all which were kinda 'plopped down' RCT style.

Then came Scream! in 2003 which was the epitome of the "parking lot" coaster, and at least with Tatsu in 2006, there was a nice attempt made, and I actually do think that area looks nice.

The really started to make a comeback with X2 and Terminator, and I kind of feel like lately, the park hasn't gone back to the Scream! days (it would be really hard to, honestly), but things are back to the Tatsu days, where I feel it's minimal effort, and rides like Lex Luthor and Green Lantern look "nice", but nowhere near doing what they did with Terminator, X2, Batman, Riddler's or Goliath.

And Dave is absolutely right - they are targeting their "YOLOcoaster" demographic. And that's fine. There is nothing wrong with "playing to your audience", it's just not going to sit well with some of us that would have liked to see the park up it's game a bit more and deliver something on par with rides we see at parks like Dollywood, Busch Gardens, and SeaWorld. But again, that's just not their audience.

--Robb

^ This is why I'm a big MM fan. I'm a coaster nut - hence my screen name. I have no problem with MM's lack of themed areas. For me it doesn't add to my experience. If I wanted this, I'd go to Disney or other parks. Just let me ride ride ride...

Yup, and there are enough people like you who would rather have parking lot coasters than "Wild Eagle", for example. And that's fine. You're absolutely right. Theming, or even nice "decoration" doesn't make a ride any better. You can have Gordon Ramsey cook food in a dilapidated shack, and the meal would still be amazing.

Just there are some of us who would rather eat our meal in a nicer surrounding, that's all.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

SFMM: "we are NOT going to close S:EFK during FT's construction"

SFMM: oh wait... maybe we'll have the plaza closed until FT opens which is decades from now.

RT @TheCoasterGuy: Superman plaza @SFMagicMountain closed for FT const. Security guard said it will remain closed until ride opens. http://t.co/0Y5ua1LV

Second tweet

They've already excavated the back of the hill by Gold Rusher for FT footers. Construction walls are going up now, so the path will reopen.

Yup, and there are enough people like you who would rather have parking lot coasters than "Wild Eagle", for example. And that's fine. You're absolutely right. Theming, or even nice "decoration" doesn't make a ride any better. You can have Gordon Ramsey cook food in a dilapidated shack, and the meal would still be amazing.

Just there are some of us who would rather eat our meal in a nicer surrounding, that's all.

--Robb

I thought Wild Eagle's incredible views were a core part of that ride.

SFMM spent some money to buy some relatively large trees from landscapers for Scream, it would be nice for a modest effort to be made for more vegetation in the former parking lot around the ride. I'm not a fan of comic book theming but some greenery instead of asphalt would be greatly appreciated and wouldn't cost much to buy or maintain.

Every meal I've eaten at SFMM has been in the parking lot (my picnic lunch). I trust their ride mechanics but I don't trust their food service department. Just my opinion.

Friday report from Magic Mountain:

I arrived around 3pm

Ninja running 2 trains

Pocky running 2 trains now Yea!

Gold Rusher closed, but opened later

Scream closed

As others reported, Superman's entry has a sign staying it's closed for future improvements. I wanted to ride LLDoD with Superman running to shake the tower.

One other assorted note, since I was at both Knotts and MM today, I saw churros were over $1 cheaper at the Mountain.

Also, me and my friend got on the Slingshot. We split it since we used my season pass to get the better deal.

How much is it with the season pass discount?

$30 for 2 people with a season pass. Not a bad shake if you can split it with a friend. It is $40 for 2 people without the season pass.

^Not to mention a water ride! With as hot as it gets out there, they needed all of the water attractions they had.

Agreed.

While it seems that they may have removed the log ride because of ride deterioration, high cost of maintenance or whatever...losing a decent family water ride does seem a bit odd with as hot as it get's there. I'm sure that they could have reprofiled or rebuilt the ride cheaper than it's going to be to build Yolocoaster.

Guess they just expect everyone will migrate over to Hurricane Harbor if they can get there before the sun stroke kicks in? While I have never been to HH, it didn't look all that large from the parking lot so I assume that lines would be insanely long on a hot summer day.

I remember being there the year Tatsu opened (in August) and even with the misting fans I thought I was going to pass out from heat exhaustion. The water rides in the park were all much welcomed attractions after standing in those uber hot coaster lines!