TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

In the parks defense, they have been doing better with theming.

Yeah, but I can't think of one park with a low-capacity, upcharge thrill attraction like this with any theming to it. I'd feel happy about the fact it's got different colors.

Although with the order o the colors of the rainbow incorrect, it would make me wonder if they put it together right!

SFNE has had the same style and model ride for about 4 years now thou it did move from the DC area after 2 years to make way for the mouse coaster. Also I believe that Great Adventure had one of these models for a few years (most likely the same ride moved to SFMM) and then they got the more permanent one seen a few pages back.

The general complaint about Yolo is that there is not more after the top hat. I wonder would anyone compalin if the top hat was 450'ft.

You raise an interesting point, they said the loop will be a "record breaking 160-foot-tall (49 m) vertical loop" but they never said the beginning height, very crucial number there. To top that they still haven't released the total track length (as far as i know), which really leaves me super interested in this.

I sure hope Ninja isn't on the chopping block yet although with other suspended's being yanked maybe it is. If it were to get removed the only thing that would make up for it would be anything with airtime. But it's MM so it's not going to happen .

Many parks have removed the suspended coasters due to end of life. However Magic Mountain just 2 years ago replaced the PLC, put in all new sensors, and new brake controllers. I don't think they would have made that investment to just get a couple more years out of the ride. Biggest problem I see is the one train operation during refurb times.

By browsing Google Earth a little bit, I found plenty of space for a moderate-sized coaster without the removal of any major attraction. I found some space in Deja Vu's corner as well as in the front of the park. I think something like a Eurofighter would fit nicely in the park's line-up of coasters.

image.thumb.jpg.3f8b8ec74c5fddaed6001ba0a9648610.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2a9d7bf37a2f75d630385c8d00a136b9.jpg

^Don't hold you breath out front by X2, That's the park's picnic areas. Big money makers for parks when large groups visit like company outings and what not.

SFMM is far from being tapped out on land, they just get creative on where to put stuff (see Full Throttle). But that place does NOT need new coasters. They need to round out their offerings with flat rides and other attractions as well as fix up the crap they already have. Some of those rides could use some serious love (not that I expect them to get it).

I feel like the park is just trying to make sure they keep the title of most coasters on the planet for the next few years. After this coaster the park should get a small flat package along the lines of what Great Adventure received this past season. Although it wouldn't be the same types of rides, the park could add one or two big marketable main flats then one or two other minor/family flats. They could possibly do this for the next two seasons to get their ride count back up. They could also use the extra money they save from not adding a new coaster and finally paint some of the coasters that really need it!

Yeah, I don't think the Picnic area's are going anywhere. During the summer both are booked up pretty much every weekend and the one closest to HH is booked up pretty much daily due to picnic groups in the waterpark.

SFMM has PLENTY of room for a new coaster if the park wants to get creative. They are only using about 1/2 of the available space that was available to them for Full Throttle. There is the Deja Vu/Slingshot spot, there is the ENTIRE back road of the park and of course there is a rather large parking lot available.

There is also some room near Riddlers/Tidal Wave for a smallish coaster, the mostly un-used Batman Theater, some of the path for the Metro track and there is space in and around Gold Rusher. The park could easily add another 6-8 coasters without removing anything.

Honestly I don't know why everyone raves about xcelerator, but is hating on what Full throttle is going to bring. I really feel the best part of xcelerator is the first launch and then after that its ok. The drop doesn't really do much for me and the high banks are boring. I'm counting on full throttle being a good ride, considering the launch is only 12 mph less than xcelerator.