TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I would think of Full Throttle more as a reaction to the local marketplace. Essentially, they have gone with a Montezuma's Revenge style coaster found at Knott's Berry Farm. A powered launch into a loop, and that's pretty much it for the wow factor for both rides. Similar to how Lex gives them a taller drop tower ride than Knott's Supreme Scream. Or the former Deja Vu vs. Knott's Boomerang. SFMM didn't have a mouse style coaster yet like KNott's and DCA, so there you go, Green Lantern brought in. And with the rumored addition / makeover of the plaza surrounding Full Throttle, their own version of DCA's Mad Tea Party. I would expect SFMM's version also to focus on increasing food/bev/retail sales, similar to DCA's. Imo, they are looking at what has worked for Knott's, Disney, etc., and attempting to duplicate that success. It's a way to manage the risk of building something that no one wants, like the former poorly executed Thomas Town.

I would think of YOLOcoaster more as a reaction to the local marketplace. Essentially, they have gone with a Montezuma's Revenge style coaster found at Knott's Berry Farm. A powered launch into a loop, and that's pretty much it for the wow factor for both rides. Similar to how Lex gives them a taller drop tower ride than Knott's Supreme Scream. Or the former Deja Vu vs. Knott's Boomerang. SFMM didn't have a mouse style coaster yet like KNott's and DCA, so there you go, Green Lantern brought in. And with the rumored addition / makeover of the plaza surrounding YOLOcoaster, their own version of DCA's Mad Tea Party. I would expect SFMM's version also to focus on increasing food/bev/retail sales, similar to DCA's. Imo, they are looking at what has worked for Knott's, Disney, etc., and attempting to duplicate that success. It's a way to manage the risk of building something that no one wants, like the former poorly executed Thomas Town.

Honestly, I don't think Montezooma's Revenge has any inspiration to Full Throttle as the only similar characteristic it has is a launch into the loop. Plus, GL & wild mice have nothing in common.

I think the simple fact that this coaster indicates the direction the park is going is more dissapointing than the ride itself.

When a tiny park in Sweden can invest three times as much into a coaster with a similar plot of land, you know something is wrong.

Actually, I would say Full Throttle is more of a response to Xcelerator. Both are short and gimmicky and feature similar top hat highlights.

Other than that, I'm not sure I'd read too much into why they went with a short Premier design over Intamin/Mack other than the usual cost cutting coming out of corporate and maybe a good relationship with Premier.

Edited by Manic Monte

I really don't understand why this coaster upsets people so much. Sure, it's gimmicky. But it still looks like it will be a unique experience. I think it is quite a bit ridiculous to suggest that park guests would be happier with Revolution being fixed up. This ride looks like it will attract additional attention to the park and probably become a very popular ride.

^I have been holding my tongue regarding this ride. But you just summed up exactly how I feel about it. Is it gonna stop me from getting a 6F season pass? No. Am I gonna go ride it? Yes. It is right along the lines of what I expected them to build. I am neither ecstatic or upset about this ride. So... ...win, win for 6F?

I really don't understand why this coaster upsets people so much.

Scientists have already given up trying to find an answer to your question. Although they did determine that it happens mostly when things are built in California or Ohio. Also, doctors have found that it's better, and less stressful, to not worry about it.

Remember, YOLO. And the reactions to rides like this make that a good thing....for many of us.

Edited by BeemerBoy

I think the ride is going to be "fun", in fact, it will probably be among the best coasters in the park, if not all of CA (that's not saying much). But they had a chance to go for "amazing" and they just took the easy way out. That's my big issue with it. I'm sure down the road there is going to be another coaster going in this area of the park, the log jammer area is way bigger than this ride is going to be and they will have room to add another coaster. So why go with one long/awesome coaster when you can have two gimmicky coasters.

As for it competing with Xcelerator, that ride is 10 years old.

What Intamin accelerator doesn't have cable issues??? Maintenance problems and all, XC still gives a quality ride. In regards to FT, it'll do what the park wants it to do. Bring in the teens/thrill seekers and boost annual pass sales.

^I have been holding my tongue regarding this ride. But you just summed up exactly how I feel about it. Is it gonna stop me from getting a 6F season pass? No. Am I gonna go ride it? Yes. It is right along the lines of what I expected them to build. I am neither ecstatic or upset about this ride. So... ...win, win for 6F?

These are pretty much my thoughts too. I'm nether super excited or super dissapointed with this ride.

I really don't understand why this coaster upsets people so much. Sure, it's gimmicky. But it still looks like it will be a unique experience. I think it is quite a bit ridiculous to suggest that park guests would be happier with Revolution being fixed up. This ride looks like it will attract additional attention to the park and probably become a very popular ride.

Well Revolution is longer....

My dad just said that if the Bruins win the Pac-12 championship, we're going to the Rose Bowl and Magic Mountain. I've never wanted someone to win a football game more in my life. I'm from Washington, so this is a big deal!

Well, looks like that won't happen. But if I was in your shoes, i'd still ask to go to SFMM.

I have mixed emotions about Full Throttle. It looks like a fun coaster that will attract the general public. That's all that SFMM really cares about. The cater towards the general public, not enthusiasts. However, I do agree that SFMM needs to stop focusing on inversions and more on airtime. If it was my choice, I would rip out Viper and put in a Intamin hyper, similar to Skyrush. A B&M would be good too, but I doubt they will because it would be so similar to Goliath. This would be a great addition for 2014/2015.

Now watch. They're going to put in Intamin's 12-inversion coaster.

I hate to be negative, but it seems like something they would do, right? That way they can advertise "the most loops on a coaster"!

^ At least an Intamin 12 inversion coaster has an airtime hill. Plus it would at least be better than Viper.

That's dangerous territory. If you even mention the word "hair-time" to any MM exec, they'd pass out.

Viper "looks" to be serving its purpose and an overall popular ride. But that didn't stop them from razing Log Jammer (a generally popular ride) and replacing it with the Full Throttle. Considering the trend, I can see Viper being replaced by an El Loco and another kiddy coaster.

Viper "looks" to be serving its purpose and an overall popular ride. But that didn't stop them from razing Log Jammer (a generally popular ride) and replacing it with the YOLOcoaster.

Yeah, but considering that Jet Scream still exists, and both Log Jammer and Jet Scream both are a lot older than Viper, I don't think Viper will leave for a while...

^What is Flahback? Is this one I missed? I thought I had all the credits at this park.

And all you people that mentioned Viper as a ride that should be removed. HOW DARE YOU! Vipey is the one Arrow looper in this country that is actually still in awesome condition. If anything, it would be the last multilooper to go. Besides, Magic Mountain has tons of room to add 20+ more coasters before they need to clear another to make room.

I don't think Viper is going anywhere for awhile. Yes, it's older, but it's generally an easy ride to maintain and run, unlike Log Jammer.

I think ninja might go, Anyway, SFMM usually suprises us (both good and bad)

Anyway, I dont think SFMM will build a large coaster for a while, is there really any place that has room for a large coaster? They had to remove Log jammer to build this coaster...