TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

As someone who rarely visits SFMM my friend wants to know whether the 2nd, 8th or 9th of December would be best to visit?

I ruled out the 1st since he's accidentally gone on the JAMZ day before and that's it this year.

Sundays are almost always better than Saturdays. Of those days, I'd choose 12/2.

^ Everyone likes to rip on SFMM for that, and it's not unfounded, but going on a lighter day does matter on the whole. On Riddler's, Revolution, SEFK, and a couple others you do get screwed by the 1 train operation (Especially Riddler's), but on stuff like Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, Tatsu, and X2, there can be extremely long waits on busy days even with full operations.

^ This offseason, ideally, like right now. It's definitely obvious and due to the fact that it's a prominent and very visible coaster, I think they should make a priority of it. I visited the park last month for the first time in a few years, and the faded paint on Tatsu was definitely something that jumped out at me right away.

There's actually a good chance it would get painted this year, as Tatsu is in the vicinity of YOLOcoaster. The park tends to clean up the areas near the newest attractions so it doesn't look like a dump when the media visits.

Perhaps. But, likely, it would only be a partial paint job. Just like when Colossus was "painted" when they opened Goliath.

With SFMM it doesn't really matter what day you go. If it's a slow day they will use only 1 train to make sure that your wait is as long as if it was busy.

Not that this disproves your criticism, but believe it or not there is a "logical" method to the 1 train madness.

The ride may have extra trains sitting on the transfers, but operates with one train on slow days because it is one less train mechanics have to inspect before the next operating day. Does it make guests wait 20-30 minutes instead of just walking on? Sure. But it keeps operating and resource costs low. It also keeps guests in the park later in the day to buy merchandise and food instead of just riding everything in the first 3 hours and heading back home.

For example, it doesn't matter if a train cycled only one time with guests...that train cycled with the public, and will need to be inspected as if it were running all day. That is why sometimes you will see "empty" trains cycling in the beginning of the day. The train is there to operate immediately if the park gets busier than expected and ride central ok's it --but-- it cycles empty to avoid having to inspect the train the next day if they don't.

Unfortunately the ride-ops at Magic Mountain are a bit below par on the efficiency level, and when one train operation occurs, many of us guests get the brunt of it. It can be very dependent on the ride ops whether you will be waiting 10 minutes or 30 minutes.

There's actually a good chance it would get painted this year, as Tatsu is in the vicinity of YOLOcoaster. The park tends to clean up the areas near the newest attractions so it doesn't look like a dump when the media visits.

Perhaps. But, likely, it would only be a partial paint job. Just like when Colossus was "painted" when they opened Goliath.

Funny how when Tatsu was installed, Revolution was in the vicinity of media shots and got a much needed partial paint job on the loop. Kind of ironic how Tatsu may finally get a similarly needed paint treatment when a newer coaster is installed in its vicinity.

Unfortunately the ride-ops at Magic Mountain are a bit below par on the efficiency level, and when one train operation occurs, many of us guests get the brunt of it. It can be very dependent on the ride ops whether you will be waiting 10 minutes or 30 minutes.
This is what drives me crazy. It's like the post office, they don't seem to care. If I were an op on Riddler's or Revolution or anything else with a long line due to 1 train, I would be busting my a$% to get people in and out as fast as possible..instead you see chatting and feet shuffling and a general lack of concern that just makes it worse.

I think I mentioned this before..there's a clear difference in the quality of rideop depending on the Ride. The above mentioned rides seem to get the lackadaisical op, whereas the employees operating Goliath and X2 (And Tatsu, though it's infamous for using one station, the ops were still doing a great job when I was there) were really on top of their game. Maybe there needs to be some peer mentoring/training or maybe it's just a lack of incentives for some of them.

One of the best examples of how it should be done is Superman: Ultimate Flight up at SFDK. Everything about that ride screams capacity nightmare, but the staff do such a great job there on a daily basis that even on busy days (save for Key Club like days) you rarely see a line over 30 minutes. It's clear that the park knows the potential for a capacity problem and they focus on it so that it doesn't become one.

Went to the park yesterday, it was DEAD.

Only rode a few things, but from what I could tell the only rides running 1-train were Batman and Ninja. Tatsu had 2 trains, not sure about X2, didn't go over there.

I walked on Batman and there were only 3 people on the entire train I was on.

Full Throttle construction is taking up a lot more room than I thought it would. Oddly, it all seems to be happening closer to the entrance which makes me wonder if they are using the Log Jammer queue for the ride. The new themed Full Throttle land doesn't seem to be extending towards Mooseburger but just occupying the Chicken Plantation area (building already gone), Looney Tunes Stage (already gone) and the Palace arcade. Will just have to see I guess.

With SFMM it doesn't really matter what day you go. If it's a slow day they will use only 1 train to make sure that your wait is as long as if it was busy.

Not that this disproves your criticism, but believe it or not there is a "logical" method to the 1 train madness.

The ride may have extra trains sitting on the transfers, but operates with one train on slow days because it is one less train mechanics have to inspect before the next operating day. Does it make guests wait 20-30 minutes instead of just walking on? Sure. But it keeps operating and resource costs low. It also keeps guests in the park later in the day to buy merchandise and food instead of just riding everything in the first 3 hours and heading back home.

For example, it doesn't matter if a train cycled only one time with guests...that train cycled with the public, and will need to be inspected as if it were running all day. That is why sometimes you will see "empty" trains cycling in the beginning of the day. The train is there to operate immediately if the park gets busier than expected and ride central ok's it --but-- it cycles empty to avoid having to inspect the train the next day if they don't.

The problem is slow day + one train operation + SFMM's operations = 45 minute waits not 20 - 30 minutes.

YOLOcoaster construction is taking up a lot more room than I thought it would. Oddly, it all seems to be happening closer to the entrance which makes me wonder if they are using the Log Jammer queue for the ride. The new themed YOLOcoaster land doesn't seem to be extending towards Mooseburger but just occupying the Chicken Plantation area (building already gone), Looney Tunes Stage (already gone) and the Palace arcade. Will just have to see I guess.

Wasn't the whole area going to be improved and not just the YOLO coaster? That would explain the additional area that is being worked on.

Just got my room @ Valencia Hotels | Hilton Garden Inn Valencia Six Flags | Valencia, CA for December 7-9. Hope the park is kind to me with regards to lines on the 8th. Look forward to checking out the YOLO construction and getting some rides on Lex Luther!

Hopefully I do not arrive to see Marty Moose telling me park is closed for repairs. Wouldn't want to have to hold up John Candy with a BB gun

The new themed YOLOcoaster land doesn't seem to be extending towards Mooseburger but just occupying the Chicken Plantation area (building already gone), Looney Tunes Stage (already gone) and the Palace arcade. Will just have to see I guess.

I hope this new themed area will be just a great, if not better, than DC Universe. I mean seriously, that was probably the most impressive transformation that park has ever seen.