TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So I'm not feeling all that sorry for some of you who got "stuck" with a brand new Premier launch coaster, as well as Tatsu, X2, Apocalypse, Batman and others. You poor things...

Exactly. There's a grand total of ONE rollercoaster in Melbourne (pop. 4 million), and it's a 100-year-old scenic railway!

We will happily accept the gift of Full Throttle from the good people of LA.

Yeah, I get that people wish we could trade Full Throttle for Helix, and I couldn't agree more.

Having said that, I'm playing the world's smallest violin for some of the other complaining in this thread. Try living in Las Vegas, where our stand out coaster is Canyon Blaster. Or where I lived before, where I had an 8 hour drive to get to Silverwood and ONLY Silverwood.

So I'm not feeling all that sorry for some of you who got "stuck" with a brand new Premier launch coaster, as well as Tatsu, X2, Apocalypse, Batman and others. You poor things...

I'm not complaining. I'm happy with what we have. If people say the grass is greener at ALL OTHER PARKS IN THE WORLD... Oh well.

^^And, if I could, I would happily send Full Throttle to Las Vegas or Melbourne. You need it more than we do. The problem is not so much the ride itself, but the fact that it is going to Magic Mountain. Seriously, if this ride went to any other park in the world, besides Cedar Point or Great Adventure, there would be little to no complaining. But, it is not what the particular park it is going to needs, considering that the mountain has consistently invested in more gimmicky rides over the past few years. It is like eating your favorite meal, but having to eat it every night for two weeks. All the bombardment of good sounds very positive at first, but, after a while, you just want it to stop so you can have something different. And, people from the outside wonder why you are not having fun.

Honestly, I don't care for these "You aren't allowed to complain because you live among lots of parks" argument.

Yes, it's true. SoCal has a lot of parks, some great parks, some great rides. If you like what SoCal has, then guess what ... MOVE HERE!!! In the meantime, we are free to complain all we want.

Yeah, I get that people wish we could trade Full Throttle for Helix, and I couldn't agree more.

Having said that, I'm playing the world's smallest violin for some of the other complaining in this thread. Try living in Las Vegas, where our stand out coaster is Canyon Blaster. Or where I lived before, where I had an 8 hour drive to get to Silverwood and ONLY Silverwood.

It annoys me slightly when people complain about their location and the lack of what they have.

As a 40 year old guy, you must have chosen to live where you're at, right? Based on either job, personal situations, what you like to do, etc, right? Did someone FORCE you to live in Las Vegas? And you must have known before moving to Las Vegas that it was void of any coasters, right?

On a positive note - being in an area void of coasters means it forces you to travel. You live near a decent international airport that usually has pretty good deals to/from several locations, and most airlines fly into there from lots of different cities. So if you knew going into Las Vegas that there wasn't a lot of coasters to choose from, I'm assuming that you also put some money aside to travel for the thing you like, right? So when you think about it, you're in a pretty good situation meaning that you're forced to go...wherever you want to...when you choose to do a theme park trip. That certainly adds variety instead of having to just visit the same parks over and over again.

And I'll be honest, when I lived in SoCal, I didn't frequent ANY of the parks. I had three major parks near me, and I found myself at places like Tokyo Disneyland more than I was at Anaheim Disneyland, Six Flags Great Adventure more than I was at Six Flags Magic Mountain. From my perspective, just because I had a lot of parks nearby, didn't mean I had to like them or go to them all the time.

I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine when people are all "Oh, man, I live in such and such place where there are no roller coasters" and my only response to that is "Move!!!! Or quit your bitching!!!"

Sorry, Manic Monte, not coming down on you personally, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

We moved to Orlando for several reasons, and the parks in the area were one of them. We wouldn't move to a place that didn't cater to our personal needs, so I'm assuming you moving to Las Vegas must have satisfied at least some of yours as well, right?

--Robb "We all make choices. DEAL WITH THEM!" Alvey

/end rant

Edited by robbalvey

Honestly, I don't care for these "You aren't allowed to complain because you live among lots of parks" argument.

Yes, it's true. SoCal has a lot of parks, some great parks, some great rides. If you like what SoCal has, then guess what ... MOVE HERE!!! In the meantime, we are free to complain all we want.

Yeah, what he said....

Seriously, like my rant said above, if you don't like where you live... effing MOVE... no one wants to hear you whine and no one feels sorry for you... In short. SHUT UP!

--Robb "There...I said it..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Actually, I moved to Las Vegas to take care of a sick parent, and I do travel, a lot. So I have no complaints, I was merely making a point about the grass always being greener somewhere else. I love where I live, and honestly the lack of great coasters don't make up for other things I like.

When I want to ride great coasters, I go ride them. I don't rant about how pissed I am Las Vegas isn't building what I want. Yes I wish I had great coasters close to me, but I also understand that everyone makes con sessions based on their choices.

And you bring up a great point Robb. Instead of always complaining that California doesn't have great coasters, MOVE if its that important to you.

I hate constant complaining as much as the next guy.

I always remind that X2 is the one coaster that I would call world class and is in my opinion worth travelling for if you haven't ridden a 4D before (Im driving 600 miles for it in a couple weeks), but as a whole although SFMM doesn't have any other "travel worthy" coasters, It's still a great destination because there are so many coasters you can spend all day and not ride the same coaster twice, which is great if what you're used to is something like SFDK where you just keep riding Medusa and SUF over and over

Plus though theyre lacking in travel worthy coasters, its not like theyre all terrible -Tatsu is outstanding and one of the best of it's kind (I used to say the best but after seeing that Crystal Wing POV, Im not sure anymore!), Riddlers is easily the best standup, Viper is among the best arrow loopers, Scream though lacking in terrain is still a very good B&M, Batman you wouldnt travel for because it's cloned six ways from sunday and it's everywhere but it is still a very solid ride, LLDOD isnt a coaster but it's certainly one of the best if not the best drop tower..

I wish they would add something else earth shattering like Projekt Helix or Outlaw Run, but it's still worth a couple days of my time to go down there.

Not to plug another park in this thread but if people are going to travel out here. They can also visit Knott's berry farm for coasters and flat rides.

And that's the other thing that makes SFMM travel worthy even if single coasters arent - it's not the only park in the area, you can fly in and visit SFMM, KBF, and DLR/DCA that are all in the area to make it worth the trip.

Or you could do what I did.

Since this is southern California you don't have to do just theme parks.

I went down there in August for a week and this is what I did:

Monday - rest after 6 hour drive

Tuesday - SFMM just for this one day, usually we go here multiple times but I really just wanted to go to ride Revolution and Lex (plus the other usual suspects) so once was enough

Wednesday - Knott's Berry Farm, not really that much further from MM and hadn't been there in 30 years

Thursday - Paramount Studio tour and USH, then Knott's again

Friday - last day, Warner Bros. studio tour then later that day attended a filming of 'Two and a Half Men' which this particular episode will air this week, this was by far the best part of the trip!

So I guess my point is you can complain about the parks in socal if you want, I think I understand why, but there are plenty of other things to do as well I mean seriously- you got Hollywood here! Who doesn't want to check that out?

It should also be noted that California is one of the best states for outdoor sports/recreation. It's one of the few spots in the world where you can go surfing and skiing in the same day if conditions are right. This plus the number of local parks make California one of the best if not the best places for diverse recreation.

I moved to Southern California this summer from the Bay Area and I've got to say this area has a lot of fun stuff to do and that there is always something to do. I went to SFMM for the first time in years in late August and I wasn't very impressed with the coasters. I did like how there was a good quantity as I was used to SFDK (w/o Superman) & CGA with only 1 very good coaster in each park. However, I expected a little more quality with their coasters from a park with so many coasters, though I wasn't dissapointed as my expectations weren't that high. Technically, SFMM is my home park until January when my pass runs out of time and I wished that Full Throttle would've been like Helix as I would've re-newed my pass as there would be another noteworthy coaster. SFMM prefers quantity over quality, something I do not agree with.

It annoys me slightly when people complain about their location and the lack of what they have.

I'm not complaining, there are plenty of things I like about where I live that make up for the fact that I don't live next door to Cedar Point. I love that it's always a big adventure to go to a theme park, means I don't take it for granted when I do get to visit one.

I just don't get the "it sucks that we're getting this new coaster" attitude. It's a new ride! Nowhere else in the world will have this! Surely that's something to be excited about, right?

I just stumbled across this little gem of a video. It's a bunch of news reel footage of Colossus when it first opened in 1978. You can see very clearly what the ride was like before the modifications the next year. Some of the hills on the ride look really killer!

I'm having trouble embedding the video, but here's the link.

That's exactly it. Southern California has so much to offer on its own, let alone what the rest of the country and world offers me...that it will take a world class ride to get my interest. Full Throttle will surely be a big hit for the park, but it won't get me to the park outside of West Coast Bash!

I'm not complaining, there are plenty of things I like about where I live that make up for the fact that I don't live next door to Cedar Point. I love that it's always a big adventure to go to a theme park, means I don't take it for granted when I do get to visit one.

I just don't get the "it sucks that we're getting this new coaster" attitude. It's a new ride! Nowhere else in the world will have this! Surely that's something to be excited about, right?

Agreed. Not everyone has it as good as we do in Southern California. I wouldn't move to another state just for roller coasters. There are other great things to do here that are not roller coaster related. I love the Mountains and the beaches and many other forms of entertainment that are not roller coasters.