TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So we are currently at fright fest, and I must say, it is a HUGE let down. The reviews I have heard so far made it sound fantastic. The mazes have thus far been horrible. We have done willoughbys, blackout, black widow, and jokers. They have been too short, anticlimactic, and dull. I feel I have wasted money on the express pass but at the same time, if I had paid money to stand in long lines, I would have been extremely upset. I hope the night starts to get scarier because this has been a cometely underwhelming experience.

I would strongly suggest finding your tickets for Universal Halloween Horror Nights.

Don't bother with Six Flags. Universal is WELL worth the money. Six flags will just disappoint you if you're a horror fan.

So we are currently at fright fest, and I must say, it is a HUGE let down. The reviews I have heard so far made it sound fantastic. The mazes have thus far been horrible. We have done willoughbys, blackout, black widow, and jokers. They have been too short, anticlimactic, and dull. I feel I have wasted money on the express pass but at the same time, if I had paid money to stand in long lines, I would have been extremely upset. I hope the night starts to get scarier because this has been a cometely underwhelming experience.

I would strongly suggest finding your tickets for Universal Halloween Horror Nights.

Don't bother with Six Flags. Universal is WELL worth the money. Six flags will just disappoint you if you're a horror fan.

HA

I have been saying this for YEARS to friends and acquaintences when they talk about going to Magic Mountain for Fright Fest but it's very hard to give an accurate description of the parks poor attempt at Halloween attractions without sounding like a big downer. I gave the park chances for years trying to do Halloween, but to be honest the parks management, budget, and infrastructure is just not able to create an event that immerses you like other parks just because of the sheer size of the park.

I think people talking highly of the mazes may just be comparing them this year to how poorly the park had executed them in the past. As far as comparing Six Flags event to Knott's or Universal, don't even bother.

I agree and don't see any problem with that, it's how it should be. To me the rides and coasters at SFMM are the main attraction and the Halloween specials are secondary. At Universal it would be completely the opposite, I would expect the HHN to be first rate while the rides might not be.

I'm just happy to see SFMM trying to improve their offerings. Halloween Haunt and Halloween Horror Nights are separate ticket events that can cost up to $66 and only operate at night. Fright Fest is unique in that you can be in the park the entire day and night, pay extra for the mazes, and still have it come out cheaper than either of those events. Or if you have a pass...you only pay for the mazes! Something else you can't do at Universal or Knotts.

^Yea because the same quality as KBF and USH's events is not there.

You're right though it is an exceptional value as you can have all day at the park as opposed to only 6-7 hours of an evening event. I am glad the park is investing more into FF every year.

I'm just happy to see SFMM trying to improve their offerings. Halloween Haunt and Halloween Horror Nights are separate ticket events that can cost up to $66 and only operate at night. Fright Fest is unique in that you can be in the park the entire day and night, pay extra for the mazes, and still have it come out cheaper than either of those events. Or if you have a pass...you only pay for the mazes! Something else you can't do at Universal or Knotts.

That's the benefit I see also. I'm not looking forward to leaving the park at Knott's just to have to pay to reenter.

Exactly. So in this respect, FF gets kind of a "pass" in a lot of regards (IMO). The cost is relative to the experience. I don't think FF will ever be as popular or successful as HHN or Haunt and IMO it doesn't have to be. It's just another option and that's a good thing.

You also have to consider that you really don't have to pay any extra, that's only for the mazes. Anybody can experience the shows, scare zones, etc.

Changing the subject....what ever happened to that guy that fell off the waterslide? Did he survive? Or did he get a Darwin Award?

I talked with a crossing guard about it last Friday and he said he didn't know. I've never heard anything more about it. If it's not in the daily news it falls out of sight. If Anyone finds out anything please post about it.

For comparisons sake, I went to that new haunted attraction in Santa Monica called Paranoia. It was beyond awful. Luckily I only had to pay $12 through living social, but the full price of the event is listed as $24 online or $30 if you buy at the box office.

Fright Fest I suspect is both of higher quality and a much better value.

Really, you get what you pay for. Actually, SFMM gives some pretty good value for its price. You could get in to these mazes for a low as $10 if you are a passholder, wheras you would end up paying six times that at the competetion. Sure, the quality does not stack up, but if I want to spend six times the cash on a great night out, I would head to Knott's of Universal. If I just want a few scares, but don't want to pay the insane prices, I would head to SFMM.

You must be HHN spoiled.I'm a huge fan of HHN myself. HHN was a HUGE letdown this year... Repetitive Scares,Bodys,things eating eachother, I know a lot of Fright Fest Scareactors that move from HHN to FF because they got sick of the same thing. Fright Fest was great because I got way better scares than at HHN and they use better scare-tactics. HHN uses the button switch which creates the loud sound and strobes that people get afraid of not the monsters themselves. They are demand to do one thing and one thing only were at FF they get do scare anyway they want in their character.Point is,You might of not liked Fright Fest but doesn't mean you should tell people not to go.

I got more scares last night at Fright Fest, than 3 nights of HHN combined this year. The blackout maze was an absolute blast, and the Aftermath maze is a better zombie experience than the Ambien dead maze and "Terror" Tram combined. The cast at Cursed did a great job with what little they have to work with, and unlike Universal- there's actually line control at the mazes. There's nothing scary about doing a conga line through rooms that smell like rotting flesh, I don't care how many strobe/scream stomp pedals you put in the room. Lecter's Slaughterhouse was the one truly disappointing maze at Fright Fest for us, and we've been to a lot of quality haunts this season.

It's funny - when I first heard about a "multi-launched" coaster on the side of the hill where Log Jammer used to be, I honestly pictured something pretty much like what Projekt Helix turned out to be. And having been to Liseberg, the side of the hill they are putting that ride on is VERY similar, sans the tunnel, and I would have rather seen a ride like that be installed at SFMM. Oh, well....

As much as I like Premier launched coasters, I was a bit puzzled by the plans for Full Throttle, particularly the odd backward-and-forward launch bit. (Why would you want to add a "shuttle" element to a full-circuit coaster?) I'm sure it'll be a good ride, but I think Liseberg is getting the better attraction in Helix.

We shall see.

It's funny - when I first heard about a "multi-launched" coaster on the side of the hill where Log Jammer used to be, I honestly pictured something pretty much like what Projekt Helix turned out to be. And having been to Liseberg, the side of the hill they are putting that ride on is VERY similar, sans the tunnel, and I would have rather seen a ride like that be installed at SFMM. Oh, well....

I agree you Robb. I don't think Full Throttle will be terrible, but nothing about it really stands out. The reverse launch seems pointless to me and the maximum theoretical capacity per hour is absurd for SFMM. I honestly think with as many coasters as they have, that it will become more difficult for them to build a ride that really stand out to enthusiasts and even the GP. I think they should have done something simple, like breaking the record for most inversions. That stands out and is easy to market.

Projekt Helix looks like a twisted mess of fun. Full Throttle look like a simple out and back that has a big loop and its largest drop going straight into the brakes. What a waste of potential.