TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm going to Magic Mountain tomorrow Wed. 9/26/2012. If the Skytower is open. I'll try and take some pictures from up there, even though I'm terrified of heights and the Skytower is almost 400 ft. It does have a great overhead view of the park.

My fav attraction by far. Just try to notice that the elevator is working prior to heading up the hill as they seem to only have 1 person working the attraction. So if its at the top with guests it might be upwards of 10/15 minutes before it returns to the bottom to make pick ups. So it might appear/be closed unless you saw the lift working.

Also heads up for this Saturday the 29th as the park looks like it has private party Sat night and will close to the public at 6:00pm.

It wasn't open today.

Maybe next time...About two weeks. Yes the skytower is an off and on type ride. I did see markers in the ground and paint on spots all around superman and the tunnel under it. There's stakes in the ground where The log ride was and the other side of the hill. I'll get pictures next time.

Have you read The Coaster Guy's recent trip report? Holy crap, the park is really going all out for their Fright Fest, especially Willoughby's Resurrected. Wish I had the time, money, and approval to head out West and visit my "home park" this Haunt season.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/index.php/2012/09/26/six-flags-magic-mountain-trip-report-for-26-sep-2012/

Have you read The Coaster Guy's recent trip report? Holy crap, the park is really going all out for their Fright Fest, especially Willoughby's Resurrected. Wish I had the time, money, and approval to head out West and visit my "home park" this Haunt season.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/index.php/2012/09/26/six-flags-magic-mountain-trip-report-for-26-sep-2012/

I follow the coaster guy all the time. The easiest is to just like him on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Coaster-Guy/164979656870453 Then you'll be up on all the trip reports and more Magic Mountain info. He's the best. I also like SFMMCrazy productions for some good info once in a while. http://www.facebook.com/SFMMCrazyPro?ref=stream

I really hope the parks Fright Fest is awesome this year because I'm going to Fright Fest for the first time on the 13th. *Crosses fingers*

I also went yesterday and one thing I can't COMPLETELY blame the park for is the lowered capacity on a lot of rides. I'm thankful for the fact they opened it up out of the blue, but Goliath, Rev, and Riddlers were all running with one train, ad Tatsu...you know what, I'm not even gonna mention Tatsu and capacity in the same sentence anymore. All in all....pretty good day. Just seemed there were a bit more people than lowered capacity can accommodate.

I also went yesterday and one thing I can't COMPLETELY blame the park for is the lowered capacity on a lot of rides. I'm thankful for the fact they opened it up out of the blue, but Goliath, Rev, and Riddlers were all running with one train, ad Tatsu...you know what, I'm not even gonna mention Tatsu and capacity in the same sentence anymore. All in all....pretty good day. Just seemed there were a bit more people than lowered capacity can accommodate.

Your right. I think they were opened because L.A. county schools were off. One thing to remember is that trains were in maintenance. Two and just as important is they didn't have enough employees to run the park. Without it being a year round park...Your staff will only be part time in the off season. I think they did great in trying to open on an off season weekdays. Can you say a year round Magic Mountain in the future? No, but they are trying.

I was there yesterday as well. When I was on Tatsu, they were running two trains. I was on it at about 11:00. Goliath was running two trains when I went on it in the late afternoon.

The one train rides that I saw were Revolution, Ninja, Superman, Riddler's. Gold Rusher and Viper MIGHT have been running one train, but I'm not sure. The only ride that I ran into having problems with capacity was Riddler's, but they can't really do anything about that.

Was Scream running one train? It had been for the past few weekends.

I wonder if all the rides will have two trains for Fright Fest, their busiest time of year. They should. I mean, seriously. They have NO EXCUSE to run one on Goliath. They were running 3 on Saturday. No way that 2 went into maintenance. Glad that X2 was still running two. That's the worst nightmare ever.

Was Scream running one train? It had been for the past few weekends.

I wonder if all the rides will have two trains for Fright Fest, their busiest time of year. They should. I mean, seriously. They have NO EXCUSE to run one on Goliath. They were running 3 on Saturday. No way that 2 went into maintenance. Glad that X2 was still running two. That's the worst nightmare ever.

I've never seen Goliath with 3 trains.

^ But sadly it's pretty much true. I cringe every time I see Tatsu running only one side of it's station, which is just about every time I have gone to the mountain except for one time about 2 years ago.

True to that. But I think operating costs are important to running a park that needs to make a sizable profit. Big profits equal more roller coasters. I'll wait in line 45 minutes to 1 hour for a great roller coaster. If the line is too long for an average roller coaster I'll just not ride it on that trip.

^^Ha, I didn't even think about the Revolution OTSR's versus this with lap bar only! Guess they'll have to come up with a new excuse for why it has OTSR's on it!

From what I understand. The reason Revolution got OTSR was that some people where trying to stand up on them. It was a safety issue.

^^Ha, I didn't even think about the Revolution OTSR's versus this with lap bar only! Guess they'll have to come up with a new excuse for why it has OTSR's on it!

From what I understand. The reason Revolution got OTSR was that some people where trying to stand up on them. It was a safety issue.

I hope some time in the future they can convert it (and many coasters) to the new Premier style lap bars. (The type SUF at SFDK has, I dont know if there's a proper name for them - but I love them)

I hope some time in the future they can convert it (and many coasters) to the new Premier style lap bars. (The type SUF at SFDK has, I dont know if there's a proper name for them - but I love them)

Maybe if Theme Park Review gives them a plaque like ACE did, Then they'll take it seriously. Right now the best thing to do is to keep your head firmly against the headrest.

So....

National Lampoon's family vacation was on telly last night, and I watched the end of it as I heard somewhere that Wallys World was SFMM.

Colosuss and Revolution feature as we all know, the funny thing was the Revolution (with lap bars) POV with NO TREES! Quite a strange sight.

And can anyone enlighten me, when the Griswalds are in the carpark and looking towards the park, is that a fake skyline, or is that how MM actually looked? Cos if it was real, there was some funky looking coasters there, what were they (if they in fact existed)?

Oh, and another thing...... when they all get in the coasters, WHO DISPATCHES THE TRAIN??? Spooky.

And can anyone enlighten me, when the Griswalds are in the carpark and looking towards the park, is that a fake skyline, or is that how MM actually looked? Cos if it was real, there was some funky looking coasters there, what were they (if they in fact existed)?

Yep, it's fake.

Yep, it's fake.

Don't ignore the green mountains behind the park...