TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I stated a while back that I am not going to give any rants about the ride being too short. However, I am going to say something about the ride's capacity. If the ride is 90 seconds long (which it looks like it will be significantly lenghtened by the backwards launch), then they will be pulling 720 pph. That itself is not a terribly low number, but starts to look much smaller when you consider that this is a multi launcher. If there is one thing that I like about short rides is that they usually have a high theoretical capacity. 720 pph is not that low, especially for Magic Mountain, but, considering Maverick can pull 1200 pph with six less people per train really says somthing. Verbolten can also pull 1200 pph, even with two less people per train and a drop track that must take up some time. The backwards launch will present a significant reduction in capacity. One could argue that they are trying to introduce something new. However, SFMM already has the fastest backwards launch coaster in the world.

Actually, I am almost as dissapointed in the fact that this is not a high capacity ride as much as this is not an airtime machine. So, it does not do two things multi-launchers are known for.

However, it would be interesting to know the cost of this project. If the rumor that S:UF costed only $6 million, then it might be safe to assume that this costed about $10 million, which, in the amusment industry, is not an insane amount of cash to spend on a coaster.

Since the park likes breaking world records, my guess for the next major coaster would be a Eurofighter with the world's steepest drop.

The backwards launch probably will help the crew to stack less. It may not make a difference in capacity at all depending on the crew. The capacity sounds similar to X2's which I don't think that line is slow at all.

Does anyone have any idea (like specific numbers) what Tatsu is getting in terms of capacity (with bad operations)?

Goliath has even been stacking lately. It's not that they are taking forever to check the seats, it's that they finish and then they wait for the other train to stack before dispatching. It's because all the ops chat away after they check the seats and forget to dispatch.

^ The last few times I have been to MM Tatsu has been only using one side of it's station and 2 trains which has made the wait slower and longer than I am used to seeing. It basically takes the same time to load as a normal invert, but then you have to add around 20-30 seconds til dispatch because they have to close the leg guards and then put your train in the flying position.

Hey all, first time poster long time lurker

Am I the only one who thinks FT is just awesome? Looks very re-rideable and, imo, looks way better than Excelerator. Not sure what all the hate is about.

Edit** Actually, isn't the ride exactly everything the screamscape rumors said it would be? Multiple launches, use of the monorail tunnel, 160ft loop, going over the superman plaza, and going on the loops spine twice. Maybe that's what let people down so much? Accurate rumors?

That may be correct but there are some people that feel let down because they, themselves expected more.

Since Six Flags didn't release any specifics in terms of cost, length and capacity, the closes comparison I can make is Stormrunner.

Stormrunner carries an estimate of 1200 pph with 2 trains at 5 cars each. So the estimate of 700-720 sounds about right.

Stormrunner also cost about $12 million with a track length of 2,600, which also sounds comparable to FT. Of course Stormruuner opened in 2004 I believe and it's an Intamin (so give or take those factors).

I'd say that the ride length (leave station to enter station assuming no stacking) shouldn't be any more than 60 seconds so if you can load a train in 60 seconds then you have 18 people going through every minute or 1080 pph or higher since I think the length should end up being less than 60 seconds so I guess the threoretical capacity could hit as high as 1440 (45 second dispatches) which isn't bad at all. I'd say that the first section (launch to tunnel) is around 15 seconds (I counted what I could in the video), the impulse thing should take around 10 more and then the hill and brakes shouldn't take much more than 30 so I'd say it'll be around 45-60 seconds long. Anyways if Goliath's ops can load a 30 person train in 60 seconds then 18 in 45 should be no problem.

Hey all, first time poster long time lurker

Am I the only one who thinks FT is just awesome? Looks very re-rideable and, imo, looks way better than Excelerator. Not sure what all the hate is about.

Edit** Actually, isn't the ride exactly everything the screamscape rumors said it would be? Multiple launches, use of the monorail tunnel, 160ft loop, going over the superman plaza, and going on the loops spine twice. Maybe that's what let people down so much? Accurate rumors?

That may be correct but there are some people that feel let down because they, themselves expected more.

Yeah, turns out Six Flags still isn't at a point where they're willing to lay down 20-25 million for one coaster. So all of the "longest coaster", "Maverick of the west", "we wanted more" expectations were doomed from the start.

^^^^ Agreed, I don't see Six Flags spending that much on a coaster. But with all theme parks the faster and taller coasters they build, the shorter the rides will feel and be. I would like to think theres a day when we will have a standard lift 400 ft or a 500 ft launch coasters, but I dought that with the amount of steel that is needed to make a decent length coaster with hills that high is just too much. But thats different conversation for a different time.

I'd say that the ride length (leave station to enter station assuming no stacking) shouldn't be any more than 60 seconds so if you can load a train in 60 seconds then you have 18 people going through every minute or 1080 pph or higher since I think the length should end up being less than 60 seconds so I guess the threoretical capacity could hit as high as 1440 (45 second dispatches) which isn't bad at all. I'd say that the first section (launch to tunnel) is around 15 seconds (I counted what I could in the video), the impulse thing should take around 10 more and then the hill and brakes shouldn't take much more than 30 so I'd say it'll be around 45-60 seconds long. Anyways if Goliath's ops can load a 30 person train in 60 seconds then 18 in 45 should be no problem.

Thats all fine and dandy, but you need to remember that station design, guests, and crew size all factor into how quickly you can load and dispatch a train. I would ballpark that the 700ish number thrown around is probably going to be the most accurate.

Does anyone else feel like the backwards launch is kind of unnecessary? I saw this coaster and said cool, but the backwards launch seems...like a waste and unnecessary. I'm sure its a cool effect, but as others have noted its probably going to absolutely wreck the capacity potential of a ride like this. I could see them cutting the backwards launch part of the ride's program several years down the road if it stays popular enough and capacity is an issue. Assuming that's possible, of course.

It looks neat, and basically is an overgrown Skyloop coaster in my opinion. I'm not impressed, but its definitely a cool attraction.

Thats all fine and dandy, but you need to remember that station design, guests, and crew size all factor into how quickly you can load and dispatch a train. I would ballpark that the 700ish number thrown around is probably going to be the most accurate.

Does anyone else feel like the backwards launch is kind of unnecessary? I saw this coaster and said cool, but the backwards launch seems...like a waste and unnecessary. I'm sure its a cool effect, but as others have noted its probably going to absolutely wreck the capacity potential of a ride like this. I could see them cutting the backwards launch part of the ride's program several years down the road if it stays popular enough and capacity is an issue. Assuming that's possible, of course.

It looks neat, and basically is an overgrown Skyloop coaster in my opinion. I'm not impressed, but its definitely a cool attraction.

I think the backwards launch is more for the affects, plus the GP will think its cool. I don't think it will hurt the capacity from looking at the video. All it does is simply launch the train half way up the dive loop and allows the train too freefall back through the launch/tunnel combo. I wouldn't imagine that taking any more than 10 secs.

There may seem to be a loss of momentum and the back launch might seem pointless but doesn't really matter as it was designed to run that way as part of the overall experience of the ride. I did notice some lights along the tunnel wall as it launched forward but who knows what will end up happening with that.

I like the backward launch. It makes the ride longer, adds something a bit different, and should give the crew sufficient time to load the other train and avoid stacking. Based on the video, the ride looks approximately 45 seconds from the first launch to the brakes, and the backward launch only adds about 10 seconds. It's going to take at least 30 seconds to unload, load, and check restraints, so without the backward launch there's a good chance that the ride would stack every cycle, and I'd much rather have a 10-15 second longer ride than spend that time sitting on the brakes.

Assuming the ride is able to send one train every 60 seconds (probably the ideal scenario), the capacity would be around 1000 riders per hour. 600 riders per hour (the minimum this ride should be getting) would be one dispatch every 1:45. Assuming the ride has a simple lap bar, I've got a feeling they'll be able to operate both trains without stacking and I don't think capacity will be as horrible as people expect (probably 800-900 people per hour...similar to Apocalypse). As long as the ride is run without stacking, the length of the ride won't matter, and unless the ride is regularly ready to go before it is clear to do so, the backward launch isn't reducing capacity at all.

In line for the Demon today a kid behind me said: "This ride is gonna be GOOD! It goes upside down!"

I thought..yeah, thats why these unimaginative loopers keep getting built. (Not directly ripping on FT though, it looks interesting, I'll reserve judgement for after I ride it)

Wait! I think there is hope for an airtime machine at SFMM within the next few years. Three words: Rocky Mountain Colossus.

Sure, they would probably add inversions, but, as long as it has airtime, I don't really care. Since SFMM has proven that they are not interested in spending much on new rides, this would be a perfect change, as they may end up spending less than 10 million if they wanted to do this.

It is confirmed that they are considering this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2014/2015 .

Wait! I think there is hope for an airtime machine at SFMM within the next few years. Three words: Rocky Mountain Colossus.

Sure, they would probably add inversions, but, as long as it has airtime, I don't really care. Since SFMM has proven that they are not interested in spending much on new rides, this would be a perfect change, as they may end up spending less than 10 million if they wanted to do this.

It is confirmed that they are considering this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2014/2015 .

and where was this "confirmed" ????

It's certainly a cheap way to add a major coaster to their parks with large, budget sucking wooden coasters. Six Flags seem fully on board with it, so I would expect/hope Colossus would be next. Colossus has an amazing, old fashion layout. I hope if it does happen, they preserve the double out and back part of the ride.

Edit: Tim Burkhart confirmed they were looking into it. He sounded very excited by the possibilities.

and where was this "confirmed" ????

Q&A session 2012

Bring back the double down!

That block allows them to theoretically run 3 trains...but since it is SFMM, and 3 trains would signify the end of the world, I definitely agree. Bring back the double down!

Bring back the double down!

That block allows them to theoretically run 3 trains...but since it is SFMM, and 3 trains would signify the end of the world, I definitely agree. Bring back the double down!

Yeah...lol!

^Maybe they will figure out you can't get 'world class coasters' unless you spend that much.