TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm still in fetal position and screaming it's become more of a chant now of why SFMM why !!!I've pulled the hair out of one entire side of my head and this has been going on since about 7am this morning

Lol you kept true to your word!

^ill know it when I try it...

Sorry if I sound mad, but I am just so FRUSTRATED that this ride could have been so much more than it really is...

It is a ride at an amusement park, eventhough its not exactly what you wanted its better than nothing. There are more important things in life to get frustrated about.... live your life and move on, its just a roller coaster.

I also agree with Mr. Bebe and I think I will very much enjoy it when I ride it.

A classic post by wes:

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

We are only in part 2 of the life cycle. LOL.

Maybe I'm alone, but my expectations were so low for Full Throttle that I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ride design. The way I pictured the ride was a single launch through the tunnel, into the loop and top hat element then back to the station and the breaks.

Yes it could have been more, but the announcement of Top Thrill Dragster way back in 2002 has taught me that in the amusement park industry it can always be less. Especially if it is cheaper and they think the ride will still draw the same crowds.

This ride looks like a lot of fun, just not what I would expect from SFMM. However, it's not far from what I'd expect for the tallest loop on a coaster these days nor far from what I'd expect from Premier. The second inversion looks nice, and it certainly fits SFMM's theme of unusual coasters.

Uhhh....I can't believe they started the video with "YOLO"

Flatride at SFMM? Easy to predict... Sky Screamer for 2014. Pencil it in.

As far as the FT being longer? I would have loved another 1500ft after the top hat. It's going to be the biggest weakness of the ride. On the other hand, I can think of several "well received" launch coasters that do less than Full Throttle does.

TTD? I can't really think of any other ones. Well, any others that can't be written of as "they're not at SFMM so they're not surrounded by a giant crippling inferiority complex."

A classic post by wes:

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

We are only in part 2 of the life cycle. LOL.

That is so true.

I'm sick of people complaining about this, it looks totally kickass and is much better than I was expecting. I can't believe people can complain about this and Outlaw Run, calling their layouts boring when they're infact unique and innovative.

Maybe I'm alone, but my expectations were so low for Full Throttle that I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ride design. The way I pictured the ride was a single launch through the tunnel, into the loop and top hat element then back to the station and the breaks.

Yes it could have been more, but the announcement of Top Thrill Dragster way back in 2002 has taught me that in the amusement park industry it can always be less. Especially if it is cheaper and they think the ride will still draw the same crowds.

I'm on the same boat as you. I came into it having low expectations and was actually surprised at what it is. It's not the most amazing thing I've ever seen, but it will be a worthy addition to the park and looks very fun to ride.

That post from wes is so awesome. Its so true and i admit im a little guilty of it, as a lot of people are, but thats just how it goes.

Airtime in the station.... yes!

Maybe from now on that post should automatically appear right before anything in the future is announced.

I'd joke about the YOLO actully meaning You only Lose Once. But come on, we all know SFMM will lose again, and again and again. Tatsu and X's refurb were the last great coasters to be put in SFMM if I know the recent history well enough. And even then Tatsu has that ability to trick you into thinking there's something after that awesome pretzel loop, then your shoved back into the station. Either way this is a great time for Knott's to add something better then FT.

I am curious, however, as to whether anyone has theorized as to why SFMM seems to lean more toward "ooh-aah" type gimmicks rather than the kind of coaster than regularly show up in enthusiast's top ten lists. Obviously it stems from the marketing angle as they clearly have a refined understanding of who their target audience is and how to seduce them with ostentatious displays of showmanship rather than actual ride-ability and design (YOLO). It was mentioned earlier in this thread that SFMM has become more of a coaster museum than anything else -- and I'd agree with that claim, nor do I think that's necessarily a bad thing (although such a museum doesn't hold much appeal to me personally). However, their (and much of California's) aversion to well-designed and award-winning thrill rides in favor of repeated gimmickry does speak to a certain superficiality in which the facade is often a front for something far more vacuous.

Superficial and vacuous - in southern California?

I'm glad I never heard the acronym YOLO before today, although I have been to Yolo County.

I'll reserve judgement on the ride until I've ridden it, but today the Rocky Mountain coasters are more interesting to me. Full Throttle looks like an aborted game of No Limits. I like the idea of their 2014 or 2015 attraction being track continuation for the second half after the big drop, that could easily marketed as something unique, too.

I agree with the comment that they may eliminate the backwards launch at some point, it would be a lot cheaper to run the ride with two (1 1/2?) launches. I can only imagine what their electric bill is.

The only Premier coasters I've been on are the spaghetti bowl launchers at Six Flags America and Kings Island. The KI one was in great shape, not a top ten ride but it was fun. The SFA model wasn't running well when I rode it, it was very bang-y. One and done for me, comparable with their SLC "Mind Eraser."

I agree with the comment that they may eliminate the backwards launch at some point, it would be a lot cheaper to run the ride with two (1 1/2?) launches. I can only imagine what their electric bill is.

I don't think it is as expensive as you think. LIM's are pretty efficient now. Plus, now rides use

I'm a little late to the conversation here but, the thing I'm most excited about for Full Throttle is the fact that I get to ride a Premier. I've barely been on a handful of older generation Premiers so it'll be nice to check out the newer gen of their rides. It's got some cool gimmicks but, as was said before, I don't think those gimmicks will in anyway be powerful enough to make this a flagship ride at the park.