TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

To me, this just seems like a big ol' steaming pile of "meh." Tallest looping coaster? LOL. Don't they realize that CP just announced a 170-foot tall coaster with inversions in GateKeeper? And really?!? YOLO?? I'm impressed.

I think they meant "Tallest Inversion". It seems like this coaster was the most anticipated coaster to be announced, and now it seems the majority of those who were excited were let down. The turn after loop looks like it could be pretty intense, and hopefully the TopHat has enough airtime to quiet every down. Im just waiting for something to be released that shows a second half to this ride. Unfortunately, I don't think its coming...

^^Well sorry, I just assumed it was, because during fright fest, you "race" the other train AND the tracks are side by side...

As for Full Throttle, I think EVERYBODY is waiting for the second half of the ride to be released...

Edited by RCT3luvr

To me, this just seems like a big ol' steaming pile of "meh." Tallest looping coaster? LOL. Don't they realize that CP just announced a 170-foot tall coaster with inversions in GateKeeper? And really?!? YOLO?? I'm impressed.

I think they meant "Tallest Inversion". It seems like this coaster was the most anticipated coaster to be announced, and now it seems the majority of those who were excited were let down. The turn after loop looks like it could be pretty intense, and hopefully the TopHat has enough airtime to quiet every down. Im just waiting for something to be released that shows a second half to this ride. Unfortunately, I don't think its coming...

There is no second half. The second half is the brake-run.

OK,

I guess MR BEBE needs to chime in on this whole FT:YOLOcoaster discussion.

I'M overall pretty stoked! I think this ride's gonna be super fun and very re-ridable.

1. I'm HOPING that capacity isn't an issue. I was REALLY impressed with how quickly S:UF at SFDK pumped through people with only a one-train operation. I thought that maybe there was some sort of transfer track action going on in the station, but it was Operations on S:UF just getting people on & off REALLY FAST.

2. Yes, the STOP in the tunnel is a "gimmick" and may not make it longer than a few seasons (perhaps the backward launch as well), but I'm curious what ALL will be inside that tunnel (I don't think we've been given the full disclosure on that element). SMOKE, LIGHTS, MUSIC! Could be very cool. Could suck. We'll see when it opens.

3. I LOVE the hill over the giant loop, sharing the same spine. AWESOME. But it IS utterly disappointing to see all that natural momentum come to a screeching halt (ala Goliath's mid-course brakes).

4. I'm REALLY excited about the "space dive". That's gonna be an awesome element!

5. Sammmmmmmy said it best that the color pays homage to Revolution with the "iconic" big white loop taking over the skyline, especially now that Revolution's is being overshadowed and is less noticeable in its' current state.

Some unrelated thoughts:

I had been thinking for a while how nicely a screamin' swing (A big multi-seater, not a stupid 4 person upcharge) would fit in the Deja Vu spot..... 2014????

I might agree with Greg, too, that I'm SUPER excited about the free GOLD PASS upgrade offer. Even without the offer, $50 for company-wide free parking AND Hurricane Harbor AND a few other perks is a pretty good deal. THIS year (2012), for $50 you get Season Parking ONLY, and ONLY at SFMM (we paid $18 to park at SFDK). I'm currently collecting friends to go in on 4 passes with The Bebes!!!

What a weird ride. I'm interested as to how this turns out, but was really hoping for a Dive Machine of some sort. It'll definitely be a nice addition, though. Same coaster type as Sky Rocket at Kennywood, right?

I'm still confused on where the station and launch track into the first loop is going to be located. I just can't get my head around this going into the empty hill where LJ was. Hopefully they use this space wisely and maybe there will be room for another attraction in there in the future. Hello water ride! (crosses fingers).

It seems too far off to the left of LJ's 'area' to be taking over that spot, so yeah, let's hope for another water ride for sure!! Fingers crossed for a "Divertical" type ride.

They lost me at "YOLO."

Seriously though, what were they thinking?

Personally, I don't think SFMM has any interest in a racing or dueling coaster any longer (just a feeling). If the treatment happens (and I think it's already in the works), I fully expect Colossus will become a single track coaster, giving them more space to work with, while bringing down the overall cost.

I actually think Colossus is the perfect ride for this treatment. It already uses mostly steel I-beams to keep the ride smooth and cut down on maintenance costs, and let's face it...the layout is boring, uneventful and lacks anything to make it intimidating and exciting any longer.

Edited by Manic Monte

It would't be tallest inversion because of Gatekeeper's roll over at 170ft.

If they do end up doing this to Colossus I would like to see it be a bit less drastic than what they have done with the Texas rides. They could make the lift a bit taller with a steeper drop, then bank the turnarounds due to the extra speed. Then they could add in a barrel roll or some of those 90deg sideways hills on some of the smaller hills or where the MCBR thing is.

I think if anything happens to Colossus dealing with RMC, it will be topper track. Colossus doesn't seem like the right coaster to have an Iron Horse overhaul. Maybe some of the turns could be banked, but what else could be added? I don't think they will go to the trouble of removing an entire side of the ride, but who knows, maybe we'll see something happen in the next few years.

SFMM is just trying to get the GP get excited and go to the park so THEY get money and build a lame ride next year... duh, they always do that...

'Im not sure I would say that this ride is lame by any means, in fact I expect most people here will end up enjoying it. However you are right, I bet SFMM does build rides with the single goal of making more money, not really sure what other reason there is to adding rides.