TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Cedar Fair is son done for!

What does that even mean?

He's clearly referring to the fact that the addition of Full Throttle with cement Magic Mountain's lead over Cedar Point as the ultimate coaster park. See, Cedar Point can only remain a successful park as long as it is able to keep its coaster count roughly equal with Magic Mountain. We coaster enthusiasts live by the principal "Quantity Over Quality." The war between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain is an INCREDIBLY important issue to us. Why do you think Magic Mountain keeps removing non-coaster rides and adding new coasters with short layouts? Because they are trying to cram in as many of those things into the park as they possibly can!

So yes, Cedar Fair is without a doubt "son done for." I couldn't put it any better myself.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but Cedar Point can still remain a very sucessful park without having to keep up with SFMM coaster count. Remember they do not compete in the same region so the coaster war count is more for bragging rights and their sucessfulness does not hinge on the fact if they can keep up with SFMM coaster count. And no, Cedar Point is in no way "son done for!"

I'm trying to figure out what I think of this coaster. I mean, it looks like a very solid addition, but I'm just not excited about it. I guess it is hard to be excited with all the other great coasters being built in the US this year.

The only thing I can't wrap my head around is the backwards launch. I think it will kill the momentum of the ride experience. I'd rather see a rolling launch, but that is just me. However, when I saw the backwards launch in the video I literally LOL'd because it reminded me of the Gatekeeper video.

He's clearly referring to the fact that the addition of Full Throttle with cement Magic Mountain's lead over Cedar Point as the ultimate coaster park. See, Cedar Point can only remain a successful park as long as it is able to keep its coaster count roughly equal with Magic Mountain. We coaster enthusiasts live by the principal "Quantity Over Quality." The war between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain is an INCREDIBLY important issue to us. Why do you think Magic Mountain keeps removing non-coaster rides and adding new coasters with short layouts? Because they are trying to cram in as many of those things into the park as they possibly can!

So yes, Cedar Fair is without a doubt "son done for." I couldn't put it any better myself.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but Cedar Point can still remain a very sucessful park without having to keep up with SFMM coaster count. Remember they do not compete in the same region so the coaster war count is more for bragging rights and their sucessfulness does not hinge on the fact if they can keep up with SFMM coaster count. And no, Cedar Point is in no way "son done for!"

You couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic? I thought that was the most beautiful piece of sarcasm I've read in quite some time.

Hot damn, I know I may have pretty low standards for a coaster fan, but has to be the most downright majestic coaster I've seen in years; the cross-over top hat and loop alone is insanely photogenic, and it looks downright intense going up into the transition. I don't care if people are saying it's short, this is probably the most impressed I've been with a coaster like this in a long time.

You couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic? I thought that was the most beautiful piece of sarcasm I've read in quite some time.

I don't know "smallish" normal type of writing so honestly I couldn't tell.

Count me in on the boat that thinks this is gonna be an awesome addition to the park. The ride itself looks pretty intense and outside of the weird backwards launch, the brakes being after the largest element on the ride, and the odd logo I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna love this when it opens to the public next summer.

When those things are the only thing about the ride to really complain about, you've got a pretty cool ride.

^^I can think of several that have been built the last few years that are far more majestic and also have much more interesting paint jobs.

Well... yeah. Admittingly, that's the one thing that's turned me off about this ride, and that would be the black-on-off-white paint job. I do think that the coaster could have stood out more if it had been painted more vibrantly.

For all the good/fun parts of this ride, I don't really understand why the train needs to stop in the tunnel, launch back, and then launch forwards just to get over the loop. (I refuse to call this a "top hat" just because the video/PR did. It's not a top hat. Mr. Freeze, Xcelerator, TTD, Kingda Ka all have top hats. A camelback over a loop is not a top hat.)

Would it not have made for more excitement/better ride/bigger airtime pop to launch the train through the tunnel building on the speed/momentum it had going into the tunnel? Stopping the train in the tunnel takes both time & energy, and I don't see the stop, go back, and second forward launch over a camelback (over the loop) and directly into brakes as enough of a payoff on the invested time/energy. Probably shouldn't mention what the additional time does to the ride's hourly capacity. Just seems like an odd design choice.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

This looks amazing, I want to get out to California to ride this. The top hat over the vertical loop looks great. I do think it looks short but it does look great. The backward launch is interesting, but it could've been left out. An interesting addition to SFMM.

So I was looking more at the Season Pass deal ... It's pretty amazing. We are for sure going to get this even though our current passes are good until the end of the year. Probably head up to the park before HH closes and activate our new passes.

So as an example, if you are buying 4 or more passes and you get a pass now (say for Fright Fest) you will actually get the pass for 16 months. $64.99 for each pass or $5.89 per month for the next year for both parks with all the perks.

Free Upgrade to a Gold Pass, Free Hurricane Harbor and Free Parking!

To celebrate the launch of the new Gold Pass, we are offering a free upgrade to Gold (which includes a free Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Season Pass and a free Season Parking Pass at all Six Flags Theme Parks on every pass!) for everyone who buys four or more regular Thrill Passes and processes their ID's at the park by January 6, 2013.

New perks for the Gold Pass:

- Free Parking on every pass

- Free Parking at every Six Flags park

- Extra "Bring a Friend" days (these are in addition to the bring a friend days offered on the regular pass)

- VIP Early Entry to Magic Mountain (Begins in 2013)

- VIP Early Entry to Hurricane Harbor (Begins in 2013)

If you are buying less than 4 passes or after January 6th the Gold Pass will be $114.99 or $10.45 per month. Still a great deal.

Yup longest line at park today hasn't been X2 or Tatsu its been season pass processing .... plan ahead and bring a good book to read while in line.

Aww thanks supertrooper! And thank you Crazy4Coasters for explaining exactly why the "coaster war" is silly.

BTW, does anyone else find it odd that Magic Mountain isn't trumpeting around the fact this addition will solidify their record for most coasters? It seems like they love to say it in their press releases for new coasters. Though I suppose they aren't really recapturing it at this point because Cedar Point never took it back, or even quite tied it.